User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User unclepauly1978
(newbie) Sat 24-Jan-15 12:32:26
Print Post

[help] configuring EE brightbox router

[link to this post]

hello,

I have just switched from o2 to EE and EE have just sent me my brightbox router.

the problem with the brighbox router is that it only supports dyndns.org for dynamic dns (which I need) and dyndns charge an annual fee. my o2 router however supports many other dyndns providers which are free of charge. so i had the o2 router set up with dtdns.org.

so what i need to do is continue using my o2 router with my new EE service. i logged in to the o2 router and changed the broadband username and password to my new EE ones...but the o2 router still will not connect, with 'authentication error'.

any ideas anyone ?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Jan-15 15:03:35
Print Post

Re: [help] configuring EE brightbox router

[re: unclepauly1978] [link to this post]

Which BrightBox, 1 or 2? 2 has more DDNS.

From O2? Thought they gone ages ago. Is that Sky running an O2 network?

O2 BB parameters were always non-standard, or at least out-on-a-limb. I'm surprised you could even find the BB username and password slots.

Anyway, the ones everybody on BTw use are:
Protocol PPPoA
VPI/VCI 0/38
Encapsulation VC Mux
MTU 1500

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sun 25-Jan-15 13:23:42
Print Post

Will the O2 router be locked to the O2 network? So it will not work on the EE/Orange broadband network? crazy frown

For EE/Orange, if domain name server (DNS) addresses are required, use:
Primary DNS 193.36.79.101
Secondary DNS 193.36.79.100

http://ee.co.uk/help/mobile-and-home-connections/bro...

EE/Orange Bright Box router settings, to configure Go… Advanced Set-Up > Accept > Broadband Settings.

BOADBAND SETTINGS
This page provides advanced settings to connect your EE Broadband service

Broadband Type ADSL
Broadband Username:
Broadband Password:

Protocol: PPPoA
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Encapsulation: VC MUX
Internet IP Address: Dynamic
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
DNS IP Address: Manual
Primary DNS: 193.36.79.101
Secondary DNS: 193.36.79.100
Connection Type: Always Connected
Idle Time: 0 (minutes)
Authentication Protocol: CHAP
MTU (576~1500): 1500

EE/Orange recommend MTU 1492 but I find 1500 works well with BT WBC. wink

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box 1 ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Jan-15 13:55:19
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by E7er:
Will the O2 router be locked to the O2 network?
Not actually locked, but as I remember it, it has no provision for BB Username & pwd, so won't work on EE.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Jan-15 14:01:53
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Not actually locked, but as I remember it, it has no provision for BB Username & pwd, so won't work on EE.

If I remember rightly, the O2 firmware had an O2 BTw PPPoA login in it, but it was not possible to change it. Would work on TT LLU though, which accepts any PPPoA user/pass.

Oliver.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Jan-15 14:34:32
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
If I remember rightly, the O2 firmware had an O2 BTw PPPoA login in it
That was only for the G.DMT variant, O2 Access I think it was called. For ADSL2+, which wasn't on the BTw system, there was no Username/pwd slots and when you used other routers on O2 you had to choose a special setting of Protocol which I can't remember but was some RFC so as not to request Username/pwd.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Jan-15 14:46:24
Print Post

If I remember rightly, the O2 firmware had an O2 BTw PPPoA login in it
That was only for the G.DMT variant, O2 Access I think it was called. For ADSL2+, which wasn't on the BTw system, there was no Username/pwd slots and when you used other routers on O2 you had to choose a special setting of Protocol which I can't remember but was some RFC so as not to request Username/pwd.

The IP bit (PPPoA/IPoA) was independent of the ADSL/ADSL2+ bit, which always synched to the line's maximum speed. The ADSL/ADSL2+ connected up first, before any of the IP bits came into play. Once synch was established (at the line's maximum speed), the two IP protocols (PPPoA & IPoA) were attempted in turn.

The confusing part was that it the interface named the PPPoA bit "ADSL" and the IPoA bit "ADSL2+" which implied it would only connect at 8 meg over PPPoA. O2 chose this because the BTw product they selected only supported 8 meg. However, those PPPoA credentials happily work over ADSL2+ as well.

I have actually tested this on a TT line. Since TT LLU accepts any PPPoA credentials, the O2 WB 2 synchs up at ADSL2+ speeds before authenticating with the old O2 Access PPPoA credentials.

Oliver.
Standard User IanBB
(member) Sun 25-Jan-15 15:14:22
Print Post

That's correct Oliver, if I look at my O2 TG582n which I am using on Sky I can see the username install@o2broadband.co.uk but not the password and am unable to change either.
Standard User IanBB
(member) Sun 25-Jan-15 15:21:09
Print Post

The ADSL2+ connection was IPoE and the RFC was 1483
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Jan-15 22:20:17
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by IanBB:
The ADSL2+ connection was IPoE and the RFC was 1483

On O2 & BE they used IPoEoA for their 24 meg LLU connection, yeah. The router will still happily get an IP using PPPoA on a 24 meg connection though, e.g. on TalkTalk, since TT don't care what PPPoA credentials are used. Equally the router would get an IP address via 8 meg ADSL over IPoEoA if the network it was connected to supported it.

Oliver.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sun 25-Jan-15 22:24:25
Print Post

Other DNS settings will work with BTw WBC EE/Orange network… smile

Open DNS : 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220
Google DNS: 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4
Norton DNS: 198.153.192.50 & 198.153.194.50

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Jan-15 23:00:19
Print Post

Norton DNS: 198.153.192.50 & 198.153.194.50
Only use those if you want to block adult sites. Those are Norton's medium policy.

Norton's weakest policy is Security, blocking all sites hosting malware, phishing sites, and scam sites. For which the DNS are:
198.153.192.40 & 198.153.194.40.

You can't use Norton DNS w/out blocking some sites.

(newbie) Mon 26-Jan-15 12:58:16
Print Post

Which BrightBox, 1 or 2? 2 has more DDNS.

From O2? Thought they gone ages ago. Is that Sky running an O2 network?

O2 BB parameters were always non-standard, or at least out-on-a-limb. I'm surprised you could even find the BB username and password slots.

Anyway, the ones everybody on BTw use are:
Protocol PPPoA
VPI/VCI 0/38
Encapsulation VC Mux
MTU 1500

hi and thank you everyone for your replies...its going to take me a but of time to read all of these comments and try everything out !

to reply to the first question though, yes i was on o2 and they changed to sky but i kept my o2 router due to fact that it accepted dtdns as the dynamic dns provider (which i mentioned above i have a free account with).

i am not sure of the version of the brightbox router, but in the ddns page of the brighgtbox router, it says this :

"This router supports DDNS services from www.dyndns.org and www.tzo.com"

both these ddns provider you have to pay for hence mhy wanting to keep my o2 router !

the o2 router is a Thompson 'o2 wireless box 5' and when i log into the router, the home page lists the various broadband connections, if you click O2_ADSL you can change the broadband username and password there. by default it says "install@o2boadband" as the username but i can change both this and the password....however as i mention when i click the 'connect' button it just gives authentication error and then re-displays the "install@o2boadband" username!

i am definitely entering the correct credentials !
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Jan-15 13:42:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by unclepauly1978:
however as i mention when i click the 'connect' button it just gives authentication error and then re-displays the "install@o2boadband" username!

Yep, on the back-end the change is refused, the O2 firmware will not allow the change unfortunately.

The BE firmware added PPPoA near the end, for Sky support, and unlike O2 it did allow the PPPoA credentials to be changed. BE firmware can be flashed to O2 routers, but of course the BE website with the firmware is gone now.

Oliver.
(newbie) Mon 26-Jan-15 14:01:07
Print Post

however as i mention when i click the 'connect' button it just gives authentication error and then re-displays the "install@o2boadband" username!

Yep, on the back-end the change is refused, the O2 firmware will not allow the change unfortunately.

ahhhh ok....seems like ive hit a dead end then with this ! never mind the easiest solution then will just be too subscribe to dyndns.org and use the brightbox....

thanks for all you help..
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Jan-15 14:51:57
Print Post

you can change the broadband username and password there. by default it says 'install@o2boadband' as the username but i can change both this and the password....however as i mention when i click the 'connect' button it just gives authentication error and then re-displays the 'install@o2boadband' username!
Ah, so you didn't change it! All you did was overtype it, but when you clicked, it rejected the change.

You could look for an alternative router that does accept the DDNS you want.

Standard User Mike_Williams
(committed) Tue 27-Jan-15 09:22:33
Print Post

you can change the broadband username and password there. by default it says 'install@o2boadband' as the username but i can change both this and the password....however as i mention when i click the 'connect' button it just gives authentication error and then re-displays the 'install@o2boadband' username!
Ah, so you didn't change it! All you did was overtype it, but when you clicked, it rejected the change.

You could look for an alternative router that does accept the DDNS you want.

I use OpenDns and Dns-O-Matic (which are both free) updated by the inadyn service in my router,
However in your case the OpenDns and Dns-O-Matic support site has nks to various updaters which you may be able to use

https://www.dnsomatic.com/wiki/software or
https://support.opendns.com/entries/23218654-Where-d...

I documented my setup on my blog at http://blog.doublewide.co.uk/blog/category/dd-wrt/

Regards
Mike Williams

Info :-
Line: Length 250 metres
Modem router: Buffalo wbmr-hp-g300h + LinkSys wg54g both running dd-wrt firmware
IP Profile = Down 19418 kbps Up 1019 kbps

2012: EE WBC 20Mbps Down: 22010 kbps Up: 1019 kbps
2003: Demon ADSLMax 8Mbps Down: 8128 kbps Up: 448 kbps
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Jan-15 11:22:28
Print Post

i am not sure of the version of the brightbox router, but in the ddns page of the brighgtbox router, it says this :

"This router supports DDNS services from www.dyndns.org and www.tzo.com"

both these ddns provider you have to pay for hence mhy wanting to keep my o2 router !
There are two EE Bright Box router versions, version 1 is sent to 17Mb/sec ADSL2+ and 38Mb/sec Fibre broadband customers, version 2 for 76Mb/sec Fibre broadband customers. wink

To view click on Bright Box 1 or 2 https://broadband.ee.co.uk/bright_box_router?awc=351...

See what you can get with EE https://broadband.ee.co.uk/home.do

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Jan-15 15:42:43
Print Post

The OP has the BB1 as the BB2 has more DDNSs.
version 1 is sent to ... 38Mb/sec Fibre broadband customers wink
Not any longer tongue!

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Jan-15 21:22:34
Print Post

The OP has the BB1 as the BB2 has more DDNSs.
version 1 is sent to ... 38Mb/sec Fibre broadband customers wink
Not any longer tongue!
That's good to know, so does that mean all EE fibre broadband customers get supplied with the Bright Box 2 router including upgrades? smile

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Jan-15 22:11:53
Print Post

Yes, new ones; can't speak for upgrades from 40 Meg to 80 Meg.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to