User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User stevenfrenchy
(member) Wed 25-Mar-15 09:33:26
Print Post

EE don't need MAC key anymore ???

[link to this post]

hi there
i just cancelled my current contract with plusnet and going with EE with quidco offer anyway
plusnet has given me a MAC key but EE refused to take it as they expained to me that they don't need it anymore to take the line over
have you guys heard of it ?

i am just worried ill be out of internet frown

thanks for your help
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Mar-15 09:45:19
Print Post

Re: EE don't need MAC key anymore ???

[re: stevenfrenchy] [link to this post]

Just a month or two to the new migration process that does away with MAC, and thus providers may be doing some test runs internally.

So long as you got the MAC from last provider you are fine.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User stevenfrenchy
(member) Wed 25-Mar-15 10:21:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

thanks for the reply well i have my mac key but they wouldn't take it so hoefully it'll be ok
they said EE don't deal with MAC key anymore since august 2014

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Mar-15 12:14:36
Print Post

There has always been a way to do a move without a MAC, it was just NOT best practice. I guess they may be doing this more to get people and systems ready for the vanishing of the MAC totally.

Went around the loop with Ofcom/OTA2 back in January over PlusNet doing similar. So get a MAC for now, but if provider says not needed then if things mess up and you get a cease charge just bill the new provider.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Mar-15 12:39:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by stevenfrenchy:
thanks for the reply well i have my mac key but they wouldn't take it so hoefully it'll be ok
they said EE don't deal with MAC key anymore since august 2014
No MAC required that's a new one for me! You should be okay though with just moving from plusnet they use BTw WBC same as EE, the changeover should be straight forward. wink

Important donít mention the words cease or cancel to ether ISP. frown

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box 1 ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Wed 25-Mar-15 12:49:17)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Mar-15 00:39:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Just a month or two to the new migration process that does away with MAC, and thus providers may be doing some test runs internally.
EE are never that technically advanced wink.

There are too many reports of EE installing a 2nd BT line when 1 already exists and/or not porting the existing number and/or supplying BB as a new install.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User azrael316
(newbie) Thu 26-Mar-15 09:45:58
Print Post

Be careful, as if the MAC Plusnet issue isn't used you will likely end up with a Cease Fee from them.

You will then have to attempt to get his back from EE.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Mar-15 16:26:55
Print Post

[re: azrael316] [link to this post]

If both phone and broadband are moving this is unlikely but there is a chance.

i.e. EE will be relying on the Notification of Transfer from the phone side to inform old providers and Openreach that a migration is underway, rather than a cease and provider

If the posters phone service was with someone other than PlusNet the chances of a cease fee are higher I suspect.

Standard User azrael316
(newbie) Thu 26-Mar-15 16:55:18
Print Post

I would, to be on the safe side make sure Plusnet are FULLY informed that the services are migrating and the EE will provide no MAC.

Otherwise they WILL put the cease fees on, I guarantee it. Saw it on a daily basis when I worked there. wink
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Mar-15 00:17:25
Print Post

[re: azrael316] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by azrael316:
I would, to be on the safe side make sure Plusnet are FULLY informed that the services are migrating and the EE will provide no MAC.

Otherwise they WILL put the cease fees on, I guarantee it. Saw it on a daily basis when I worked there. wink
Note the OP is migrating from Plusnet to EE, so EE do not provide the MAC, but they should accept the provided MAC from Plusnet. confused tongue

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box 1 ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to