I was getting a download of 0.03Mbps around that time. Resetting the router (EE branded BrightBox1) had little effect and download speeds of 2, 1.6 and 1.2 were achieved over the following few hours as I reset a few times. I even changed the default DNS thinking that because nothing was happening when I clicked a link the servers were down. The DNS is not the problem as the response and download speed is poor regardless of the change.
During this period the sync speed has been between 5.5-6Mbps and IP Profile has not been below 4.9Mbps, according to the BT wholesale speed tester. But the 2, 1.6 and 1.2Mbps download recorded by the speed tester are well below the 4.9Mbps I should have had. Maybe worth noting that at 0.03Mbps the ping time on the server was 226ms and after a reset it was about 30-40ms. I can't watch any online content and the family can't rent any content off EETV apps given the poor speeds we are getting.
My old Orange branded BrightBox managed to hold the line at 5.9-6Mbps. The EE BrightBox has only managed 5Mbps tops until recently when it achieved 5.5 and today 6Mbps for the first time, but it clearly doesn't work, not sure why. When I visit the EE site it tells me I can currently get 8Mb on my line which is an absolute joke, I've never had a sync above 6.5 that worked while I've been with EE and that 6.5 was with a Netgear router, the Bright Box really is pants.
I've got a lot of errors on the upload and stats I have on record over the last few years show similar but this time it seems chronic. Can problems/errors on the upload cause problems on the download?
I contacted EE customer services back in December when my connection suffered similar drops in speed and to my amazement when I described the history of problems over the years (which I have posted on ThinkBroadband in the past) he arranged for an engineer (BT openreach) to come out and said he would phone back giving a date and time. He never did phone back and as for the engineer... My line has habit of behaving itself for a while before it all starts again and guess what when the engineer turned up. There was nothing wrong at the point he arrived. He didn't have the correct tools, someone else apparently had his van and his tools were missing, so he had to connect to the wires directly. He decided to replace the front of my ageing NTE5 box with a part he found amongst his tools.
The result is yet again a major fail for EE customer services and I can no longer use my faceplate filter as the engineer cross threaded the new socket front with non-standard screws. I've been limited to a 4.5Mbps ADSL2 service during the month of March, it has only returned to ADSL2+ in the last week. BT Openreach engineers seem to have been ever present in the surrounding streets visiting properties in my street and the next streets for the last few weeks.
I contacted EE customer services again in January when the same problem (I've had for years) reared it's head again. This time a foreign call centre member of staff (popular name script monkey) said we will solve your problem and we will call you back. So I'm waiting for yet another call back (months later) and guess what the problem is here again. Now what do I do as EE customer services clearly doesn't give a damn?
EE customer services is shocking and not fit for purpose as far as I'm concerned.
I've had it suggested that Fibre would solve this but I'm not convinced. If they show little to no interest in solving the problem after all these years, what chance have I got giving them another £10 a month? It won't make a difference, I won't take up Fibre unless they sort out my line problem or the very least give an explanation of why it is happening.
How to sort out a problem that has gone on for years and has received little to no acknowledgement that it exists, is intermittent and does not conveniently occur when I phone customer services and despite me having stats on the problem EE are just not interested?
Add to this I have reported numerous times that my EETV box crashes when paused or watching HDTV but no they don't care and I get passed over to the overseas call centre people as if it is a broadband problem that can be solved with a script, totally bypassing the issue.
I seriously need help as this is on going and is getting worse, I come home from work on a daily basis not knowing if I can use the internet or if I have a limited service.
BT Wholesale speedtest 21:33pm Download 0.03Mbps, Upload 0.82Mbps, ping 226.25ms, Profile (error uploading results)
Turned router off/on again.
BT Wholesale speedtest 21:58pm, Download 2.03Mbps, Upload 0.92Mbps, ping 32.88ms, Profile 4.9Mbps
BT Wholesale speedtest 22:03pm, Download 1.6Mbps, Upload 0.91Mbps, ping 40.00ms
Restarted router through router reset option.
BT Wholesale speedtest 22:43pm, Download 1.21bps, Upload 0.92Mbps, ping 55.00ms, Profile 4.9Mbps
The range in all cases has been quoted as 2Mbps-7.15Mbps
Here are my current router stats...
Broadband Type ADSL
Broadband State Connected
Internet State Connected
Time Connected 00:02:14
Downstream Rate 5.55 Mbps
Upstream Rate 1.09 Mbps
Line Status -- UP
Link Type -- Interleaved Path
Operation Mode Automatic G.992.5 (ADSL2+)
Data Rate Information
Upstream 1092 (Kbps)
Downstream 5554 (Kbps)
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 6.3 (dB) 2.8 (dB)
Line Attenuation 24.7 (dB) 47.5 (dB)
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 12.8 (dBm) 0.0 (dBm)
Fast Path FEC Correction -- --
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 278921 0
Fast Path CRC Error -- --
Interleaved Path CRC Error 0 5902
Loss of Signal Defect 0 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR -- --
Interleaved Path HEC Error 0 2277
Error Seconds 142 0
Received Data 70095 (Kbits)
Transmitted Data 48313 (Kbits)
Edited by Kail (Fri 03-Apr-15 03:50:39)