User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User GorillaWheels
(regular) Sat 04-Jul-15 09:57:01
Print Post

Phone line is dead, but broadband is fine?

[link to this post]

We came in on Wednesday afternoon to find that our landline had a normal dial tone but when we tried to make a call it just came back with a continuous tone? The broadband was unaffected however? We tried phoning our home number from a mobile and it told us the phone was engaged. This was all from a cordless phone, our usual phone that had work fine as usual in the morning. I tried a corded phone and it just did the same. Later that night it changed to no dial tone at all! The next day I tried the test socket cordless & corded, dead, no dial tone.
I contacted EE the first afternoon and they said there was a fault and they would look into it 24-48 working hours it could take, and they diverted landline calls to my mobile which is good.

I phoned them back on Friday afternoon for an update, no change my end, and EE told me that BT/Openreach had reported to them that morning that the fault had been solved!? I said sorry but it still isn't working my end, so now I'm expecting a call sometime today hopefully with date for an engineer call.

My big question is does the fact that the broadband is fine, yet there is no phone service mean the problem is on the line rather than the master socket?
I recently (about 5 weeks ago) fitted a new openreach NTE5a master socket and an openreach mk3 filtered faceplate, everything was absolutely fine till Wednesday. (I haven't told EE this and of course I don't want to incur the £60 charge EE mention, if the fault is internal as opposed to external)
In our town, on the same exchange I know of at least 3 other people whose landlines were out on Wednesday afternoon, they are all BT customers but their issue was fixed by 9pm on Wednesday night? We thought it may well have been weather related with all that thunder & lightening around, although up here on the north west coast the storms didn't hit Barrow till 9pm or later on Wednesday evening.

Apologies for a lengthy post but I wanted to get it all down in detail.

Thanks for any comments.

Dave in Cumbria.

EE ADSL2+ 7.8 Mbps down / 0.94 Mbps up
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 04-Jul-15 10:27:07
Print Post

Re: Phone line is dead, but broadband is fine?

[re: GorillaWheels] [link to this post]

Are you broadband speeds at their normal speeds?

Most common fault in this scenario is one wire from the pair supplying you is broken and thus ADSL will work since their is a radio path, but for the phone you need both sides of the cable.

There is a chance a wire in what you did has come loose, or the master has partially failed and since you fitted it best to test with test socket, otherwise if an engineer finally arrives and suspects it was a customer fitted master (you are not meant to) they could raise a bill for the visit.

The fact that some BT customers got theirs fixed is not because Openreach work faster for BT, but maybe the BT support staff fill in fault forms better.

Until you prove the fault exists at the test socket and behind the master socket (which usually needs an engineer to visit) then no way of knowing if its the line or sockets.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(regular) Sat 04-Jul-15 10:48:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Andrew, yes the broadband speed is basically normal, there was a resync this morning, slightly down, 8.95 from 9.13. I have tested in the test socket with a corded phone, nothing. I could try re-punching the wires in the master socket or try the old master socket again?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 04-Jul-15 11:17:23
Print Post

You could try and seen as you fitted it all then not trying could prove expensive if they dispatch an engineer and identify fault in property and spot a self-installed master.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-Jul-15 12:20:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by GorillaWheels:
yes the broadband speed is basically normal
Are the Attenuations normal, with Down ~= 2 x Up?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Sat 04-Jul-15 12:51:14
Print Post

Hi

It's an exchange issue. If you were hearing a dial tone at the start of the problem then it indicates all wires were connected from you back to the exchange, also confirmed by ADSL operating normally, so not a physical wire break between you and the telephone exchange.

Sometimes you can lose one wire of the two which stops the telephone dead (needs a proper circuit) but ADSL can sort of limp along on one wire but if it does speeds are considerably slower, but that doesn't appear to be the case here.

We've had this happen to us 3 times in 5 years, the phone goes dead, but ADSL (we are now VDSL) continued working just fine with no disruption, and each time the online checker with BT automatically identified a fault at the exchange. No one ever needed to visit to fix the fault, it was some problem at the exchange on the voice part.

Regards

Phil
(regular) Sat 04-Jul-15 14:14:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well Andrew I have put the old nte back on, no change. I have though made my situation more difficult with the master socket. As my newer master had idc punch down connectors I had to snip those bits of the wire down and then through failures in scoring the wire sheath properly and cutting through, when I eventually got the exposed wire into the screw terminals there was barely enough wire length to position the plate to screw it in place!!!! If an engineer does come out and maybe wanted to fit a new master socket I seriously think there is not enough wire to do idc punch down connections. Luckily the broadband is still working after my man handling of the socket front, I thought I was going to pull out a connection putting it in place or snapping a wire!! The broadband is slower with the old master back on with a dangly filter at 8.29 from 8.95 but at least it is working thank christ.

(regular) Sat 04-Jul-15 14:17:05
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Yes XRaySpex the attenuations are/were normal.

(regular) Sat 04-Jul-15 14:27:44
Print Post

[re: PhilipD] [link to this post]

Hi Phil

Yes there was the dial tone initially, but since Wednesday night there is just nothing. Interesting to hear that it possibly can be done without a visit, we'll see. I'd like to know what is was they tried on Thursday/Friday to tell EE that the fault was resolved?

Cheers
Dave

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 04-Jul-15 16:20:30
Print Post

Engineers come prepared with things called jelly crimps to extend wires a little e.g. old masters that were sunk in a wall, but new one is surface mount and not enough slack.

Sounds like safe to say it is external to you and with usual attenuation points towards an exchange kit/wiring failure, since if the pair had a break the attenuations would have changed, usually double their standard value

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to