User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jwo
(newbie) Fri 20-Nov-15 21:47:34
Print Post

End of my tether with EE

[link to this post]

So a bit of background. We were with TalkTalk for years but got frustrated with the connection dropping out fairly regularly, and the price we were paying didn't reflect the service that we were getting. So we changed and went with EE.

The first week or two everything seemed fine, and the connection didn't drop out as it had done previously. In terms of what we wanted, we were pretty happy.

But... after that initial couple of weeks we started to get problems. Pages took an age to load, particularly those with images. On YouTube, the videos were stop-start and that was even on the lowest quality. Aargh!!

So what's followed has been numerous phone calls with EE. Terrible customer service aside, they've reset the line a few times, and been able to spark an improvement in the speed but it only seems to last a week (10 days at the most) before we're having to call them again. Every time they've said the problem's been fixed (permanently!) but each time we've had to call back because the speed's started to crawl again. From 4mb to less than 0.5mb within a week. We're not looking for superfast broadband, but we don't want to be waiting for pages to load or videos to stream.

Has anyone else experienced this with their broadband? How have you managed to get it sorted out?

Discussing this at work, somebody said that there couldn't be a fix, it's down to the number of other people taking their bit and making their demands on the exchange. Could that be correct? Are we likely to be calling EE every week for the line to be reset??
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 21-Nov-15 00:40:00
Print Post

Re: End of my tether with EE

[re: jwo] [link to this post]

ADSL or FTTC?

What connection speed, attenuation and noise margin figures are reported by the modem?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jwo
(newbie) Sat 21-Nov-15 09:54:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's ADSL.

Rookie question, how do I get the figures that you've asked for?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User benn1
(member) Sat 21-Nov-15 10:01:45
Print Post

If you log into the admin side of the brightbox you should be able to get the line stats from there.

From http://192.168.1.1

Advanced Setup >
System >
ADSL Status

Default Username = admin
Password is on a sticker underneath the router.

Originally on <n>ildram Broadband Pro (2mb)

then - Orange - Virgin - Sky LLU - EE
Now - BT Infinity 1
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 21-Nov-15 17:17:05
Print Post

Ditto re your subject but not for the actual bb service, but for the complete lack of customer service, continual incorrect billing and ignoring CISAs rulings. I've signed up to another 12 months with Plusnet.

Does seem odd that your service is OK for a few days or so then plays up. You'd think it would be bad from the start, if there were a line problem. Sounds like a capacitor fault, if that is possible?

Good luck getting *any* sense out of EE! wink

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - EE via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Plusnet, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet,
X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========
Standard User jwo
(newbie) Sat 21-Nov-15 17:33:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

DATA RATE INFORMATION
Upstream 540 (Kbps)
Downstream 283 (Kbps)

DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 7.9 (dB) 13.6 (dB)
Line Attenuation 32.7 (dB) 55.0 (dB)

I'll probably have to call EE again tonight / tomorrow because again the page loads seem to be taking an age and the videos are auto setting the lowest possible quality. I'm just taking a punt and trying to find a reason for what's going on without resorting to another 2 hour phone call that results in a temporary fix to my broadband but negatively impacts my blood pressure at the same time!!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 21-Nov-15 22:59:50
Print Post

With a 540 Kbps connection speed only low quality video will be possible

What are the data rates after you reboot the router?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-Nov-15 00:52:05
Print Post

TalkTalk have a different way of handling lines to EE.
On TT if your sync was to fall low, or the line was to drop regular, a reboot of the TT router may speed you back up.

On EE, they use the same system as BT, that is, if your sync falls low, it affects the profile your line is set at. As such, you won't see a speed boost by rebooting and only if EE request a profile reset or if the line does not drop for a long period of time (multiple days in length).

The nature of the way this works is, if EE reset the line, if the sync falls low again, the profile will go down again. So yes you will be back on the phone.

Ultimately, the line should be stable. You have a poor line which is just manifesting itself differently on both providers, in reality changing ISP was never a solution, the solution was to get the line sorted. Is the line still dropping on EE?
Standard User hairybarsteward
(learned) Sun 22-Nov-15 17:50:00
Print Post

I have been suffering this for over a year with EE. My line drops out on a daily basis. The DLM sees my line dropping and ramps up my SNR to stupid levels in order to compensate, which is a complete waste of time as this does not help. I then have to reboot my router in order to get the SNR back down to 6dB and a decent speed. BT has stated its a REIN issue but have said its inconclusive, despite the drop out happening in correlation with the onset of dusk. No BT engineer has EVER been out at the time the line drops, several engineers have failed to attend and EE customer service has been atrocious from every department, it seems that they cant understand and comply with a simple request for email contact ONLY. Many times I have been disturbed with unwanted and unneeded phone calls, information is not shared between departments or with BT and wait times for a response were unbelievable, I waited over 8 weeks for a response at one point before getting fed up and sending a prompt that I wanted my question answered. Yet during this time EE have stated that they have worked tirelessly to solve this problem and they are disappointed I haven't given them MORE time to sort it. EE also sent a letter saying that as I was not happy with their effort to solve my problem that I should seek an alternate supplier. I have taken my case to the Ombudsman and will take it to court if need be as I have lost out on over £3000 worth of wages due to their errors but yet they say I am not due any compensation for my wasted time. My advice is tell them to get to Feck and go with another ISP but if the line is maintained by BT dont get your hopes up as they are a bunch of shiftless feckers as well.

Live fast, Die ...Auld!!
Standard User jwo
(newbie) Sun 22-Nov-15 18:05:07
Print Post

[re: hairybarsteward] [link to this post]

The customer service from EE is atrocious, and I'm determined not to drop the issue of their service even if I do get this issue sorted because they should be help accountable for their poor service.

Currently our internet is slow, but is usable if used just for browsing (probably won't be in a few days) but its frustrating waiting for pages to load, particularly those with images.

I'll probably call EE tomorrow and complain about the speed again to them, I begrudge wasting hours of my life on the phone to staff who don't / aren't able to help, but thought it was worth getting a fresh perspective from people on this forum to see if any new insight could be found.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to