User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User humza_jackson
(newbie) Thu 24-Dec-15 21:40:23
Print Post

What are EEs throttling speeds?

[link to this post]

Hello! I'm thinking of switching to EE from Sky (who have no throttling) and am a bit worried about EEs throttling policies..

Does anyone know how much they actually throttle? e.g. is it to 80% of your speed, or a reduction of 2Mb etc.?

Thanks very much smile
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Dec-15 05:16:20
Print Post

Re: What are EEs throttling speeds?

[re: humza_jackson] [link to this post]

EE have never throttled speeds on their unlimited BB products at their "on-net" exchanges other than P2P and newsgroups at peak times. However just recently they have removed all Traffic Management on these products. They do continue to throttle speeds during peak times at their "off-net" exchanges.

What exchange are you connected to?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Fri 25-Dec-15 15:43:47
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

What is the difference between the two types of exchange?

Thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Dec-15 19:08:49
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Historic. See Orange Broadband Network Area.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Dec-15 12:50:51
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
What is the difference between the two types of exchange?

Thanks.
Click for “ON-net” exchange, which means you live in a city or town.

Click for “OFF-net” exchange, this means you live in a small village or you live out in the sticks which is more expensive for EE to operate so they control the network more rigorously.

I advised one of my relatives who lives out in the sticks to go with BT which would be cheaper for them than EE.

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box 1 ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Sun 27-Dec-15 22:01:11)

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Dec-15 13:03:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by humza_jackson:
Hello! I'm thinking of switching to EE from Sky (who have no throttling) and am a bit worried about EEs throttling policies..

Does anyone know how much they actually throttle? e.g. is it to 80% of your speed, or a reduction of 2Mb etc.?

Thanks very much smile
EE will only throttle your speed when you hog the network by using P2P or newsgroups, if you do use P2P or newsgroups they will throttle your speed down to dial-up speed. You can use the network freely for this use after 1:00am.

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest

Edited by E7er (Sun 27-Dec-15 22:07:27)

Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Sun 27-Dec-15 13:57:09
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Those PDFs are out of date. The latest ones can be found on this page.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Dec-15 15:04:48
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zadeks:
Those PDFs are out of date. The latest ones can be found on this page.
Thanks! I was looking for the latest ADSL2+ broadband terms which I could not find. I thought the terms had not changed much, but it now indicates, no throttling for "ON-net" exchange "EE unlimited broadband" and "EE unlimited Fibre broadband" connections, that's great news.

Thanks again! wink

I’ve been thinking this; I reckon we are all now on Fibre where Fibre is available! I cannot believe Openreach leave in the old copper cables when they are replaced with Fibre cables and customers like me still on ADSL2+ broadband are choked down to that speed. The fact that EE have now lifted their restrictions for P2P and newsgroups confirms this. wink

Edited by E7er (Sun 27-Dec-15 22:33:33)

Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Dec-15 22:18:43
Print Post

Don't think throttling will be your biggest problem if you join EE, but their totally useless customer services may well be. We are EE users at one of our properties and they are beyond belief. Three months of phone calls dropping broadband, which a five year old could diagnose to a faulty filter of HR fault. They actually diagnosed an exchange fault in the first week in October. All the drops have now caused DLM to restrict what was a 7500Kbps service to a 800kbps IP profile. Thus far, despite tearing into them nearly every day, they have refused to actually send an engineer. Level 2 could not believe it on Christmas day and gave ANOTHER three months free, which is as good as a hole in the head when unusable. Latest promise of an engineer for the 29th, but will not be holding our breath.

Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Dec-15 20:48:04
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Follow on ... Openreach are as useless north of the border as they are in Suffolk, so along with EE dire customer service makes for a fearsome mix of incompetence - As well we did not hold our breath. Turned up at 9.00am totally unaware of the problem as usual. he was made aware of what had gone before which did not seem to register, checked the line and stated there was a fault. He left for the exchange and said he would work his way back along our line and pop in later. I can only assume it was over his head and he did a runner, as monitors have shown the line not touched all day. Level 2 EE manager as useless as ever this evening, in that as usual could not grasp not running a brightbox so they can check what lights are on. Said he would phone back, but of course as usual he did not, so still trundling along at 700Kbps and raised blood pressure on the phone again tomorrow. So there you are, throttling will be the least of your problems.

Edited by professor973 (Tue 29-Dec-15 20:51:49)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to