User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange


Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.


  Print Thread
Standard User Kail
(member) Thu 21-Jan-16 17:10:13
Print Post

Packet loss on Fibre


[link to this post]
 
Recently regraded to from ADSL2+ to Fibre 38Mb/s service.

Background...

Say recently... Went live on 29 Dec after ordering it on Oct 28, botched order, Openreach failed install, then EE forgot about us, a raft of phone calls to the "white noise" call centres of Asia and a lot of promises broken, bill problems, etc. Oh and a totally unrelated incident with Openreach leaving us without any service what so ever for half a week in the run up to the holidays. We got there in the end, only it's got issues.

When it went live we did the usual, attach everything in the house that is likely to use it and see if it really can cope with everything at once. Well it coped with iPlayer in full HD, EETV streaming Demand 5, 2 computers streaming HD YouTube (one 1080p the other 720p). Another 3 mobile devices streaming at highest resolution they could handle and a Steam download and other downloads simultaneously, with a bit of web browsing thrown in. It appeared to cope fine and when streaming stuff it seems fine.

The problem...

When I browse web pages I often have to click multiple times on refresh or I just get dreaded connection problem page. In fact getting video streams to open is often similar, once a video stream or download gets going it goes all the way but getting it started is a problem.

I thought it was a DNS issue so switched DNS servers from the default but that didn't seem to change anything. I checked the LAN connections and nothing appeared wrong it all worked fine, only when we try over the internet we got problems.

If I ping a site with a large packet it reveals packet loss. I thought I had worked out the largest unfragmented packet I could send was 1464 (BrightBox2 is set at 1492, won't do 1500), but then later some of those 1464 packets were being lost as well. It appears the larger the packet the more likely it will be dropped, I get 100% loss all the time with 1492. I have had a few unexplained disconnections in online games, now I know why. It is still synced to the cabinet, but connection becomes unresponsive from time to time.

Appreciate any help. Anyone got advice on the cause, and what I could do about this?

Router stats...

Internet
Broadband Type Fibre
Broadband State Connected
Internet State Connected
Time Connected 327:37:30
Downstream Rate 38.00 Mbps
Upstream Rate 5.67 Mbps
Status
Configured Current
Line Status -- UP
Link Type -- Fast Path
Operation Mode Automatic G.993.2 (VDSL2)
Data Rate Information
Upstream 5669 (Kbps)
Downstream 38003 (Kbps)
Defect/Failure Indication
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 6.4 (dB) 5.9 (dB)
Line Attenuation 0.0 (dB) 24.2 (dB)

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 0.4 (dBm) 11.8 (dBm)
Fast Path FEC Correction 76791106 2090
Interleaved Path FEC Correction -- --
Fast Path CRC Error 0 662524
Interleaved Path CRC Error -- --
Loss of Signal Defect 6 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR 0 161309
Interleaved Path HEC Error -- --
Error Seconds 178142 415
Statistics
Received Data 8024697 (Kbits)
Transmitted Data NaN (Kbits)
  Print Thread

Jump to