User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TheLastMan
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Aug-16 23:00:22
Print Post

PPPOE password?

[link to this post]

I have a bright box 2 router from EE. I am about to migrate to a TP Link Archer VR200 and need to input my broadband PPPOE user name and password from the Bright Box 2.

The user name is the xxx@fs one but the password is obscured with dots and I don't know what it is. There is no guidance at all on the EE web site about how to find out what it is or recover it. As far as I know it has never been supplied to me written down. It was not in the welcome email.

Any clues how I should proceed?

Many thanks.

Matthew
--------
Demon dial-up ('97) > Freeserve dial-up ('00) > Zen 512 ('02) > Metronet PayGo 1000 ('04) > Newnet Home 2050 Lite ('05) > Home 8050 Lite ('06) > Home 8050 M ('07) > back down to Home 8050 Lite ('07) > Be Value > ('08) > O2 Standard ('09) > Orange Broadband and Anytime Calls ('10) > EE fibre broadband ('16) > ?
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 18-Aug-16 00:54:56
Print Post

Re: PPPOE password?

[re: TheLastMan] [link to this post]

I'm not sure about the Bright Box 2, but the trick with some routers is to save the configuration file, then open it with a text editor.

Hopefully someone can give you a more informed answer.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 18-Aug-16 11:04:15
Print Post

broadband password: You chose this when you first registered, and it was confirmed in the welcome email

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Aug-16 12:51:16
Print Post

PPP: CHAP password?

In reply to a post by TheLastMan:
The user name is the xxx@fs one but the password is obscured with dots and I don't know what it is.
If "xxx" has your name in like "you.orangehome.co.uk" the pwd is usually the same as for your EE email addy. It was notified to you in your welcome email &/or on the KeepMe card that came with the router.

Otherwise "xxx" looks like "PRODUCTIONHQNUN123456". The translation to the pwd can be found in http://ee.co.uk/help/mobile-and-home-connections/bro... .

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Aug-16 12:55:08
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Not with a BrightBox. It's a binary file.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User TheLastMan
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 18-Aug-16 14:14:24
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

It was on the Keep MEE card, but I, er... , failed to keep the card. Doh!

I sorted it anyway. There is a trick for uncovering passwords obscured by dots in web pages that I found on the web.

In Chrome it is
- highlight the dots
- right click
- choose "inspect" from the context menu - the HTML code appears in a panel on the right
- change the word "password" in the code to "text" and the dots disappear to be replaced by the characters in the password.

Not sure it works for everything, but it did with the BB2 web config pages. Handy for future reference too!

Matthew
--------
Demon dial-up ('97) > Freeserve dial-up ('00) > Zen 512 ('02) > Metronet PayGo 1000 ('04) > Newnet Home 2050 Lite ('05) > Home 8050 Lite ('06) > Home 8050 M ('07) > back down to Home 8050 Lite ('07) > Be Value > ('08) > O2 Standard ('09) > Orange Broadband and Anytime Calls ('10) > EE fibre broadband ('16) > ?
  Print Thread

Jump to