User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User templesmash
(newbie) Sun 11-Sep-16 22:32:31
Print Post

Bright box 1 connected but orange flashing internet

[link to this post]

After a discussion with ee about needing 802.11ac so they sent me a bright box 1 instead of a 2. it is connecting on the broadband (green light) but not on the internet light (flashing orange) it's almost as if the router/switch at the exchange has the old router's MAC address in an ARP cache that needs flushing. Now my internet is down and it doesn't even have a 5.2 band (sigh). Any ideas anyone? I've tried putting the old fibre modem back on and connecting the WAN port. I'm using the readytoconnect.fs username and the password must work as the dsl is connected...
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Sep-16 14:22:10
Print Post

Re: Bright box 1 connected but orange flashing internet

[re: templesmash] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by templesmash:
I'm using the readytoconnect.fs username and the password must work as the dsl is connected...
No, the DSL connection to exchange doesn't use your creds; it's all done by electricity. You creds are only used at the next stage of authenticating you onto the EE network & then onto the wider Net.

Also your router's MAC is not kept anywhere, but its serial no. is recorded so that so that it may initially auto configure the router to your own creds when the BB Username is defaulted to 'readytoconnect@fs'.

However, as any router may be used on EE BB all you need to do is set the BB Username/pwd to your own creds so it won't need to auto configure and it will then connect.

I'm not clear if you are on just ADSL with just a BB1 or on Fibre with a BT fibre modem + BB1? Does it still connect with your old BB1?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(newbie) Tue 13-Sep-16 23:54:05
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks for answering. I'm on fibre. I solved it temporarily by plugging the fibre modem into the dsl and put a patch lead between the modem and the 1st Ethernet port on the router ( WAN/1). Not an elegant solution but I can't remember what the Dsl password is for the username. It automatically configures on connection and so works but is starred out. I wanted a bright box 2 but they sent me this [censored].

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Sep-16 00:21:08
Print Post

Yes, a BB1 is ADSL only. So you can't use it on its own on a fibre line as you were doing at the start of your OP. You need to connect it to the BT fibre modem 1st as you've now done successfully.

Why you say "temporarily"? You must have also done that with your old BB1.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Sep-16 00:24:04
Print Post

Your OP implies you were running a BB1 (with BT fibre modem) on a fibre line but wanted better WiFi and so asked for a BB2 but were sent another BB1?

(newbie) Wed 14-Sep-16 19:53:13
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

It was the first ever ee box. It was just called bright box, not BB1. I specifically asked for an 802.11ac box which they haven't sent, now I've got equipment from work I can't test. Pah!
  Print Thread

Jump to