User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Heatherbee213
(newbie) Fri 07-Apr-17 08:24:08
Print Post

Re: EE/Orange eMail Closing 31 May 2017

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I have agreed a contract with EE; it starts 18th April. I did it because until this point I've been very satisfied with the various incarnations of Orange and we also have our landline with them. I discovered the contracts were available when I checked out the price comparison sites.
I have tried all the options for transferring Contacts but if you know something new I will be grateful.
I now have another problem. Yesterday, in my attempt to add Gmail to my Outlook account I have made Outlook unloadable except in safe mode. I thought I'd fixed it yesterday but at least yesterday all my emails were in there and my address book – today they’re not! I can import the latter and the emails that were moved from Orange to Gmail have downloaded, but none of those saved to folders in my Inbox. I did wonder if I can re-install, though that won’t get my emails back! Also, yesterday one of the options offered was to have Outlook repaired, and that involved reconfiguring but still didn’t solve the problem.
I also can't add Gmail to my account in spite of getting the settings from them.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Apr-17 15:10:17
Print Post

[re: Heatherbee213] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Heatherbee213:
my attempt to add Gmail to my Outlook account I have made Outlook unloadable except in safe mode.
What Outlook a/c? You mean the Outlook email client program on your PC?

You need to set it up using GMail POP3 Configuration instructions.

You cannot transfer contents of other folders to Gmail or Outlook mail client w/out 1st moving them to the Innox. POP3 only sees the Inbox.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(newbie) Fri 07-Apr-17 15:22:16
Print Post

Yea, I mean the client app. Actually I had a very lengthy chat with Microsoft this morning at what proved to be the end of which I was told to close Outlook and re-open it. As I expected, the little Gmail popup still showed but this time, when I clicked 'Yes' the app was promptly loaded unchanged by my shenanigans. I've yet to see if that will happen next time. Nothing he suggested or that I did - it just worked.
Incidentally, I also discovered that Gmail is installed as an Outlook account correctly and probably isn't working as it's not yet marked as the default account. In the meantime, the little Gmail popup keeps on popping up from time to time.
Do you know if I have to allow access to less secure apps for Outlook to work?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Apr-17 15:45:10
Print Post

An email a/c within Outlook doesn't need to be the default a/c to be accessed. It just needs to be included in your Send/Receive Group.

What little Gmail popup? Coming from Outlook? You mean the Usernam/pwd box?

You do need to allow access to less secure apps in GMail. It would seem that Google doesn't trust MS.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Apr-17 19:07:17
Print Post

For all Orange email domains barring FSMail.net you need to follow How to export contacts from your Orange Email account.

You can only transfer your contacts from Orange to GMail by getting Orange Webmail to generate a .CSV file & importing that file into GMail Contacts.

There is no "Export Contacts" in FSMail.net. Have a look at this handy guide on How to create edit csv files on the Microsoft support pages to see how you can manually construct a .CSV file that can be imported into your GMail contacts.

(newbie) Sat 08-Apr-17 08:23:10
Print Post

Thanks for this. I do have a csv file already, you can make them from Outlook client app. I was wondering about trying to import it. In the meantime, my rough & ready actions have already reaped some results. Helpful, too, in finding bounced addresses!
Standard User glossywhite
(committed) Thu 04-May-17 17:54:58
Print Post

And this, folks, is why anyone with half an ounce of experience in IT will recommend you NEVER, EVER to use an ISP supplied email service.

Gmail. Done.
Standard User samulam
(committed) Thu 04-May-17 20:41:13
Print Post

[re: glossywhite] [link to this post]

Agreed, but I was with freeserve years ago and stuck with it. I would have been prepared to pay for the email service rather than suffer the upheaval of the change. EE never explained properly why they have taken this drastic decision.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 06-May-17 21:54:37
Print Post

[re: glossywhite] [link to this post]

The multiple email addys from 1 mailbox had a certain attraction & allowed filtering of spam from leaked sites. Still I can now do the same with my own domain.

GMail! Ad intrusive & who knows what they do with your emails wink.

Standard User glossywhite
(committed) Tue 09-May-17 23:24:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
The multiple email addys from 1 mailbox had a certain attraction & allowed filtering of spam from leaked sites. Still I can now do the same with my own domain.

GMail! Ad intrusive & who knows what they do with your emails wink.

Ads? never seen an ad in all the 10 years I've been on Gmail. As for "who knows what they do with your emails" - who cares! Paranoia is never fruitful, let em sift my email if they like - do you know HOW many Gmail users there are, and HOW much computing power and money it would take for them to parse EVERY SINGLE EMAIL from EVERY SINGLE user? They are a business, they may not be ethical on a few fronts, but they're not idiots and, to be honest, I don't think they could care less what your Aunt Gertrude is bringing to the family wedding, or what you wrote or bought on eBay. They parse the text to find words to better create analytics of what people are buying - LET EM - life's too short to care or be paranoid. I listen to Steve Gibson's (GRC, "Shields Up", "SpinRite" author and maintainer) AMAZING "Security Now" podcast every week @ http://twit.tv - been listening for 3 years now, he's been in the security business for MANY decades, and if he thought there was any serious concerns re Google, he ain't shy about saying so IMMEDIATELY.

How do you know what ANY OTHER, less well known email provider is doing with your email info? You don't. At least Google are GIGANTIC, high profile and VERY VERY visible - any serious intrusions of privacy would be coming to light FAR quicker than some weird, obscure ISP email service, available only to one ISP's customers and in one specific country.

The whole myth of "privacy" is precisely that. Of all the companies I would trust with my data, there's only ONE I *truly* trust and for whom I feel reputation, ethics and security are PARAMOUNT - Apple.

I'd trust Google over EE and their mechanism for being able to get into my Bright Box (which I also don't care about, by the way - let them) WAY more. NO ONE except the people doing the snooping, know about it, there's no pretense to be made with conspiracy theories, and no progress to be made with them, either, it's all just time wasted that can be FAR FAR better utilised smile

Okay, you can remove your tin foil flat cap now, the satellite has passed over.

Edited by glossywhite (Tue 09-May-17 23:29:55)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to