User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-Feb-17 03:02:31
Print Post

EE/Orange eMail Closing 31 May 2017

[link to this post]

Read EE's dedicated Help page for more information on the Orange Email closure

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-Feb-17 12:20:42
Print Post

Re: EE/Orange eMail Closing 31 May 2017

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

So Orange Email will close on 31 May 2017 How come other ISP's still provide service for old email addresses and EE do not, can we get an EE email address then? I like my (orangehome.co.uk) email address.

EE broadband WBC 17 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box 1 ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange.
Standard User benn1
(member) Fri 10-Feb-17 13:06:56
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Can you not buy your own domain and get email that way?

completly non isp reliant then so you can switch isps and not worry about losing emails.

Originally on <n>ildram Broadband Pro (2mb)

then - Orange - Virgin - Sky LLU - EE
Now - BT Infinity 1

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Feb-17 13:23:14
Print Post

Thanks for the warning.

I have started to follow this up.

I have managed to do the initial setting up on GMail, username, password etc.

Be wary, Transfers of existing emails can only be done from the existing orange/freeserve/fsmail etc Inbox.

But that also empties that inbox - possibly the Archive selection should be made.

--------------

I can login to the new GMail Account - but so far have not been able to access the actual email part, due to a cluttered collection of guides etc for just about everything else.

Has anyone else been through the process and can help?
Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Feb-17 13:37:25
Print Post

I did that, including extracting the detailed pages, editing those to include the required personal inputs etc, before diving in to the actual process.

========

In the short period after posting, I have found that the way to access the plain email is to click on the large red "M" in the top , icons, line of the first page "My Account".

I had also sent a Test Message from my lady-wifes email account to my freeserve account, with the already emptied in--box ("up to 2 days delay")

Checking on my freeserve account, that Test Message showed up, very lonely because of the I disappearance of the older ones.

I then went back in to gmail, including clicking "M" to find that the Test Message was already moved over.

Returning to Freeserve, the Test Message had disappeared.

So it looks as though I will have to basically operate on GMail generally right from now - what is not what I was expecting.

Now to work out a way of moving over my historic mail by playing about with the Inboxes.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-Feb-17 21:13:16
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

You can't get/keep an EE email domain but orangehome.me.uk is available for £1.19 for the 1st year, then £8.39.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Fri 10-Feb-17 21:22:38)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-Feb-17 21:19:05
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
Transfers of existing emails can only be done from the existing orange/freeserve/fsmail etc Inbox.
You can move contents of other folders to Inbox.

But BEWARE, any sent items cannot be read by GMail even if 1st moved to Inbox as they are not seen by POP3 as proper emails. They may only be transferred by forwarding them 1-by-1.

Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 10-Feb-17 22:38:09
Print Post

Thanks, XraySpex

In this day and age, you would think that moving the whole lot plus Contacts, Groups etc could be made much simpler, including subsequent compatibility for "Reading" etc.

I did go part-way towards preparing the transfer of my EE SENT collection, by moving the original EE INBOX collection in to a new isolating group; then finding that whilst they appeared in the new GMail group as intended; but also remained in the GMail INBOX, probably some form of Tagging or such-like.

To allow my EE SENT Box to land in an empty GMail INBOX, I deleted all of the contents of the GM INBOX - to find that it also deleted all the copies in GM Isolating Group as well.

At least the UNDO facility worked.

So it looks as though I will have to resort to the one-by-one route, although it offers a good opportunity of checking whether many are worth retaining.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-Feb-17 22:53:47
Print Post

Sorry, I don't understand you. Are these "collections" & "groups" folders in Orange Webmail?

Are you saying that you managed to get your Orange Sent Items over to GMail, the GMail INBOX? Or is this just your naming of Orange Webmail folders by their intended destination?

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-Feb-17 01:52:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
But that also empties that inbox - possibly the Archive selection should be made.
No, it's the "Leave a copy of the retrieved message on the server" that should be ticked.

My Step 2 of the GMail Import was diff from the EE's video:
Step 2: Import options

Select the import options for XRay@SpeX.freeserve.co.uk:

X Import mail
X Leave a copy of the retrieved message on the server
o Archive incoming messages (Skip the Inbox)
o Add label to all imported mail:

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to