User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Sep-17 13:27:47
Print Post

Re: Upload speed less than expected.

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

It's just a slim hope that another router might be better, but everything else reported by your router looks OK.

Dunno how EE dream up their estimates. They are diff from BT's, yet the BT Checker is their only source for them. Maybe some combi of Impacted & Clean. Trouble is your upstream is above EE's min. of 7.7 Meg. So you can't argue with EE.

BT's estimates are based on their database of line lengths & quality up to your property + any past BB history whilst on the BT system.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Thu 07-Sep-17 13:30:45)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-Sep-17 07:33:47
Print Post

Thank you for clarifying on the socket front ... that should be OK then.

I must admit, on the strength of the stats, the upstream does look somewhat low. I guess trying a different make of modem/router is worth a punt .... on a sale or return basis.

As X-ray says, it's within EE's estimates, so they are very unlikely to do anything about it.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-Sep-17 09:45:34
Print Post

Should or might?

The checkers are not some magical beast, they have mistakes, assumptions and estimates in them...if your upload was 2.2 Mbps versus an estimate of 18 Mbps then it would be worth pursing

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 08-Sep-17 09:55:35
Print Post

I note that you have included the distance from the Exchange - this is for BB purposes only relevant to ADSL - supplied directly over the phone line from the exchange via the PCP yo your house.

In comparison, VDSL is generally supplied from the newer FTTC via the PCP to your house - a much shorter distance.

The (newer) FTTC is usually within 50 Metres of the (much older) PCP, frequently almost alongside.

Judging by your Down Line Attenuation of 19.4 db, your FTTC via PCP to house distance is significantly greater than mine, 300 Metres, 13.4 db. Brightbox 2 measurements.

Basically I also am on EE; but chose for financial reasons to upgrade to the EE 40/10 VDSL package from EE ADSL, rather than the 80/20.
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Fri 08-Sep-17 12:44:30
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

> I note that you have included the distance from the Exchange
Actually, that's misleading from SamKnows, Doncaster exchange may be only 1106m away from my home but service is via cabinet 36, which is 1400m away in the opposite direction as the crow flies. Allowing for ducting following older roads from when it was first laid I'd guess we are 1600m-ish from the cabinet, if that makes any difference.

I have been to where the cabinet is a few times, Openreach had to move it a few years ago when a subway under the road was closed to allow for widening..
It was here (Oct 2008): https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5046063,-1.1564688...
and was moved to here (Jul 2015): https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5046048,-1.1564304...
There was another cab that has since vanished (Jun 2011): https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5045297,-1.1562571...
- I think that was part of the former Digital Region system though (http://www.digitalregion.co.uk/)
The dates are Google maps dates, not when the work was carried out.

The reason we went for the higher package is that there are three adults living here, there are 3 PC's, 3 laptops, 3 mobile phones, 3 tablets, the EE TV box, a VOIP ATA, two smart TV's and a EE signal booster connected, although not all in use at the same time.

Virgin Cable (200/12) + EE Mobile BB
Standard User TMCR
(committed) Fri 08-Sep-17 12:51:31
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

> a slim hope that another router might be better
Not in a rush to try that. As you've said, service is within the estimate so EE will not do anything. I've seen BrightBox2's on eBay for about 12 quid. Or, should I try a totally different one - I think I would have issues setting it up as the BrightBox2 came pre-configured. Or is that just blinding the customer with science...?

We have not had a BT line here for over 20 years. There could not be any history to refer to so perhaps the estimates are based on properties around us connected to the same cabinet.

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Fri 08-Sep-17 12:53:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

>...if your upload was 2.2 Mbps versus an estimate of 18 Mbps then it would be worth pursing

But then it would be out of estimate and EE would do something about it. smile

I asked the question, I've had answers. Seems there isn't a lot I can do apart from thank everyone who chipped in with info.

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Fri 08-Sep-17 12:57:05
Print Post

Just changed my sig line, forgot it was still showing Virgin... smile

EE Fibre Plus + EE Mobile BB
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-Sep-17 13:35:25
Print Post

We have not had a BT line here for over 20 years. There could not be any history to refer to so perhaps the estimates are based on properties around us connected to the same cabinet.

They are based on users and guesstimates of specific DP's not cabs.

The router suggestion was for a different make altogether.

Standard User TMCR
(committed) Fri 08-Sep-17 13:39:22
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
They are based on users and guesstimates of specific DP's not cabs.

Got that now.

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
The router suggestion was for a different make altogether.

Which is where I would come unstuck, been with Virgin 20+ years so no idea what is what when it comes to routers.

EE Fibre Plus + EE Mobile BB
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to