User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User glossywhite
(committed) Sun 01-Apr-18 03:09:10
Print Post

Fibre now says "Accepting orders" on BTOR, EE site uncertain

[link to this post]

Okay, here's the deal; on BT OpenReach, my exchange code "EMCRANF" says "Accepting Orders" (I've been checking regularly for over a year.) I called the other day about something else, and the nice EE lady says "You can have fibre now, it's enabled at your exch" (verified by BTOR site)... she said her system says it's available to sell to me... BUT...

... I live in a reasonably sized village, but when you put MY postcode into the "EE" site checker, it DOESN'T show fibre as available (it clearly IS, they've sold me it) but when I put a postcode from a street on THE OTHER SIDE of the village, EE's site boasts how it's available + marketing tosh, claims, etc etc.

Is there a reason that one postcode and another IN THE SAME VILLAGE, show it's available at one and not the other?

El Bizarro!

Thanks!

Edited by glossywhite (Sun 01-Apr-18 03:09:43)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Apr-18 11:34:20
Print Post

Re: Fibre now says "Accepting orders" on BTOR, EE site uncer

[re: glossywhite] [link to this post]

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Please post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(committed) Mon 02-Apr-18 01:26:28
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Please post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

Ah, that looks better, here you go:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/803/41171142611_2b24e...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Apr-18 02:02:43
Print Post

That's what all BT-based ISPs, incl. EE, base, but don't copy (some massage them), their estimates on. They don't use the BT OR site. Until it reaches the BTw Checker they can't order anything.

The postcode checkers you used in the OP are worthless. A postcode may cover more than 1 cab or even exchange.

May I see:
  • the line above the table, blanking out your phone number.
  • the Premise Environment section at the bottom of the table, when you use the phone number checker.
I might be able to tell you more.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 02-Apr-18 02:06:25)

(committed) Mon 02-Apr-18 03:29:03
Print Post

That's what all BT-based ISPs, incl. EE, base, but don't copy (some massage them), their estimates on. They don't use the BT OR site. Until it reaches the BTw Checker they can't order anything.

The postcode checkers you used in the OP are worthless. A postcode may cover more than 1 cab or even exchange.

May I see:
  • the line above the table, blanking out your phone number.
  • the Premise Environment section at the bottom of the table, when you use the phone number checker.
I might be able to tell you more.

Sure:

https://flic.kr/p/24Dm2MG

Also of note, the "CodeLook" database seems to have last been updated, thus:

Ready for Dialling Code Searches - WebApp 3.6

Magenta Telecom SQL Database, Version 1.3
Creation Date: 29th March 2018
Source: Ofcom CodeList numbering database dated 27th March 2018
Source: BT Electronic Price List dated 27th March 2018
Source: BT Wholesale broadband datasets dated 22nd March 2018

The PDF which states that our exchange - "EMCRANF" is "accepting orders", was created on the 29th of March 2018

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/super...

Edited by glossywhite (Mon 02-Apr-18 03:54:12)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Apr-18 13:47:55
Print Post

Ah, CodeLook was my next port of call - https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=1... but that says:
Cabinet P3 FTTC being Connected, live due by July 2018 Phase SEP Northants 18b Huawei NN14 4AF

(committed) Mon 02-Apr-18 16:30:20
Print Post

Ah, CodeLook was my next port of call - https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=1... but that says:
Cabinet P3 FTTC being Connected, live due by July 2018 Phase SEP Northants 18b Huawei NN14 4AF

I tell you what makes NO sense; ever since I've been using the OpenReach site to check progress ( https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk ) it's ALWAYS stated we're on cabinet 4. I therefore suggest that BTW and CodeLook have their cabinet numbers wrong for us, not to mention the fact that this "cabinet 3" is nowhere near us, it's across the other side of the village, not likely to be the one feeding us, whereas #4 is within sight of my front door.

Maybe all this confusing is why EE have quoted me 14 days to go live, because they're gonna need to sort all this out. Also, EE won't have accepted my order if they're unable to provide it, right?

Edited by glossywhite (Mon 02-Apr-18 16:38:04)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Apr-18 17:08:48
Print Post

You could well be right. Cab 3 is not shown on CodeLook map. I reckon it's being installed by July to take over from Exchange 3. They are in same postcode.

You're almost certainly on Cab 4 which has only just been commisiioned:
Cabinet P4 FTTC being Connected, live due by February 2018 Phase SEP Northants 18b Huawei NN14 4AH
P.S.: There's no need to keep quoting post you are replying to. They are all inline.

(committed) Wed 04-Apr-18 00:09:36
Print Post

Spoke to a charming girl at EE today, very knowledgeable. She told me their records also say I'm to be connected to cabinet #3, and she gave me the verbatim note which BTOR have appended to my order, together with a BTOR job # - anyway this note states this:

"Re-arrange of svlan onto MSE switch"

Then the lovely girl told me something about the cabinet #3 which (as XraySpex mentioned) wasn't due to be in service until July 2018, and she spoke some jargon (I forget the exact sentences) and said they're commissioning it early... or something... words to that effect.

Now then, my BTOR friend who LITERALLY lives 2 mins walk from me around the corner, who works as an engineer for OpenReach, who has cabinet #4 (the one we suspect I'll *actually* be connected to) bang opposite him at the junction of our road and his, also said he thinks I'll be on cab #4, and I've known him over 36 years - he's worked for BT since the 90s, and knows his stuff inside out.

I reckon there's some misaligned bits in the SQL of one or more BTOR databases, or, more likely, some data entry clerk has been too eager on the rich teas and coffee, and not enough attention paid to fingers being synchronised with eyes and ears.

Hey, whadda I know!

I'm certainly more reassured now. Oh, and my friend also confirmed that of they weren't able to provide FTTC then they wouldn't even have been able to accept my order, which was also backed up by the same sentiment by aforementioned EE tech girl.

Humans don't arf make logical, linear tasks hard work!

Edited by glossywhite (Wed 04-Apr-18 00:11:12)

Print Thread

Jump to