User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User glossywhite
(committed) Sat 14-Apr-18 00:45:35
Print Post

ADSL to FTTC regrade overdue now

[link to this post]

Am I being impatient?

My ADSL2 to FTTC regrade was marked as 13/4. They said "up to midnight". When I spoke to EE on 13/4 (now yesterday) they said no notes on order indicating any hold ups or issues.

What's the deal here? BTW checker also still blindly saying "Open order on your line due for 13th April" etc.

Admittedly I'm skeptical with giant corps, based on decades of experience with bluff and incompetence being the rule, generally, not the exception.

[EDIT]:

Interesting point of note:

*Before* we had been upgraded - by EE - from ADSL to ADSL2+, our WAN IP was always a 95.**.**.** address, and since we were put on ADSL2+ (a few years ago) it was ALWAYS a 2.25.**.** address.

Before yesterday (13th April) it was still a 2.25.**.** address - but yesterday it changed back to a 95.**.**.** address... and now I've just rebooted my Asus (ADSL/ADSL2+ "DSL-N14U") router, and yes - we're still on ADSL2+ but the IP range has reverted BACK to 2.25.**.** - this, to me, could be indicative of something happening... ?

~~ Spoke to a VERY kind, friendly person @ BT "SMC" via a number I've known for years - he did a cursory check on BT's job # system, and said all BTOR work has been completed on time and provisioned, jumpers done etc, and it's now a matter of waiting for EE's system to do whatever it does in software, to switch me over.

Please ease my mind... hehe... Thanks.

Edited by glossywhite (Sat 14-Apr-18 04:48:32)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Apr-18 05:11:32
Print Post

Re: ADSL to FTTC regrade overdue now

[re: glossywhite] [link to this post]

History shows it'll probably be there by morning.

Originally Orange had 2 public IP pools:
  1. The 95.something pool for ADSL Max.
  2. The 2.something pool for ADSL2+.
but when Fibre came in they quickly ran out of the 2. pool and started to use the 95. pool as well
So now any switch between 2. and 95. is yer normal dynamic IP coming into play at a resync.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(committed) Sat 14-Apr-18 05:24:47
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
History shows it'll probably be there by morning.

Originally Orange had 2 public IP pools:
  1. The 95.something pool for ADSL Max.
  2. The 2.something pool for ADSL2+.
but when Fibre came in they quickly ran out of the 2. pool and started to use the 95. pool as well
So now any switch between 2. and 95. is yer normal dynamic IP coming into play at a resync.

Thank you so much. I feel I was over-analysing things a bit... I suppose that tends to happen when digital/computer tasks are taken out of my hands, what with me being a VERY self-sufficient self-taught engineer, needing to rely on unknown quantities doesn't happen very often at all - I need to chill out and let it happen, he he!

Thank you for your assistance, stellar and helpful as always, Ray. smile

Have a lovely weekend; heatwave next week, apparently!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 14-Apr-18 09:57:17
Print Post

"~~ Spoke to a VERY kind, friendly person @ BT "SMC" via a number I've known for years - he did a cursory check on BT's job # system, and said all BTOR work has been completed on time and provisioned, jumpers done etc, and it's now a matter of waiting for EE's system to do whatever it does in software, to switch me over."

This is wrong.

For FTTC once the physical work has been done at the cabinet your ADSL/ADSL2+ signal will be cut off and you have either VDSL2 or not

Seems like the Openreach work has not gone through, assuming a provider VDSL2 order was placed.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(committed) Sat 14-Apr-18 11:09:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well this is weird, if not slightly irritating; I've received an email telling me "You'll be connected by midnight on 11th" but an SMS stating the 17th before midnight! All along I've been told the 13th over the phone (11th was EE's date, amended by BTOR as engineer couldn't attend then) ... BT Wholesale line # checker completion date has also jumped to 17th.

None of this surprises me; this is the same EE who sent me the Royal Mail tracking number related to MY PREVIOUS ROUTER, sent to me in 2017, for the Smart Hub order bundled with this fibre (yes, it even states this OLD tracking # in my account), yet, when I called to chase up, last week, the CORRECT one was issued which matched the barcode when delivered.

... and these companies.wonder why they have security breaches and data leaks, when they can't even get the FUNDAMENTALS right... gosh. Wow.

Edited by glossywhite (Sat 14-Apr-18 11:11:32)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 14-Apr-18 13:25:46
Print Post

Appointments work as in providers can see possible availability and while that often does work out to be the real date, Openreach need to confirm it, so this may explain the variations

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(committed) Sat 14-Apr-18 16:20:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

This is extremely unprofessional and vague. A date is a date is a date; if I say I'm going to do a job for someone on a date I confirm, you'd better believe I've made sure 100% it'll be that day, not 4 days later. Anyone can use reasons as an excuse; unacceptable - British workers are notorious for their lateness and ability to wriggle out of things; funny how the Japanese and Germans don't have issues like this.
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Apr-18 18:21:39
Print Post

I know your pain. I decided in mid-January to switch phone line from my old provider (well, Post Office Telecomms, after they took on the business with former customers of Primus / Fuel Broadband, when that firm gave up on phone-line-only customers).

Originally told 30/Jan, I was later told 06/Feb (as the upgrade to FTTC could not be done while the switch was ordered but not completed)...

But... then another week went by because OR didn't make it on the first date in February...

This many weeks on, I still don't get the 'guaranteed' 27.4 Mbps (25 Mbps today) but it is fine most of the time and I do push it from time to time !

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
(committed) Sat 14-Apr-18 23:28:30
Print Post

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

Spoke to EE today, they "guaranteed" me my line will be on FTTC by midnight on the 17th. Here's what I can't understand... the EE guy says "The BTOR order tracker says 'further work required' ... but the 17th is confirmed on two of our systems, one of which is 'EcoPlus' and that, along with tags on your line, shows 17th is definitely the date you'll be connected" (he seemed very confident, and sounded like he knew his stuff... who knows!)

What do "tags" mean? Also he was speaking as if BTOR have upgraded my cab #3 with FTTC, especially for this job... when you look at cab #3 on the cabinet database, it says "planned for July 2018"

So, what so you think they're actually doing? I'm curious as an engineer myself, how these processes work; they fascinate me.

Thanks.

Edited by glossywhite (Sat 14-Apr-18 23:31:39)

(committed) Sun 15-Apr-18 17:10:55
Print Post

Question:

*Please note, I am not in the least concerned or worried about the imminent fttc completion, this is of personal interest to my engineering mind smile*

Is this https://flic.kr/p/24Q77T6 a Huawei All-In-One (AIO) cabinet? If so, this is located ~200m from my house, at the bottom of our road; I took this photo when it was first installed in August 2017 (all measurements done on Google maps, "as the crow flies") and this cabinet appears to be "P4" (and CodeLook map seems to have misplaced it so that it's MUCH further up our road, ergo nearer to us, which it is not)

Now, the "Cabinet 3" EE/BTOR are telling me I am connected to is ~600m away; do they mean which I am currently connected to, or is this data merely based upon what I am connected to PRE-FTTC upgrade? I know little about these cabinet types, suffice to say the "P4" cabinet - being ~400m closer - would appear to be the more logical one to connect us to for FTTC (and yes, I know logic doesn't often appeal to BT as a viable way of working). Is this "Cabinet 3" on CodeLook, an FTTC cab or just a PCP? (and what IS a PCP, and do they get upgraded to FTTC cabs?)

Finally, based upon TBB's speed/distance cross-reference chart for FTTC https://www.thinkbroadband.com/guides/fibre-fttc-ftt... , it would appear that IF I were connected to "Cabinet 3", I would be getting ~35Mbps d/l speeds, and since the BTW checker is quoting me d/l speeds of 80Mbps (clean) and 72Mbps (impacted) based on that cabinet, it just not compute...

As always, I delegate to those with expertise in these areas, thanks so much smile

Edited by glossywhite (Sun 15-Apr-18 17:20:12)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to