User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Sun 15-Apr-18 19:26:03
Print Post

Re: ADSL to FTTC regrade overdue now

[re: glossywhite] [link to this post]

glossywhite

Put you telephone number in https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome and it will tell you your cab at the top.

It will also give you the BT wholesale speed estimate.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Apr-18 21:27:11
Print Post

As an aside. The development of 75 flats and house where I live was previously all EO lines whereas our neighbours on either side and on the other side of the road were supplied from a PCP and associated FTTC twin. As a community we gap funded a network rearrangement including an AIO cab to supply the development. This AIO cab, WRVAUX 58, is on the pavement outside a house that was and remains connected to WRVAUX 18 some distance away as do the neighbouring properties.
Standard User glossywhite
(committed) Mon 16-Apr-18 00:39:36
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kitcat:
glossywhite

Put you telephone number in https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome and it will tell you your cab at the top.

It will also give you the BT wholesale speed estimate.

Thank you for the suggestion, I appreciate the help you offer. I am way past that stage now - I already know/knew about the checker, years ago, these posts are to ascertain the precise locations & types of cabs independent of the seemingly erroneous BT checker database sources ; if you read my comments again you'll understand the context in which said questions are being asked smile

I appreciate your help! smile

In reply to a post by MCM:
As an aside. The development of 75 flats and house where I live was previously all EO lines whereas our neighbours on either side and on the other side of the road were supplied from a PCP and associated FTTC twin. As a community we gap funded a network rearrangement including an AIO cab to supply the development. This AIO cab, WRVAUX 58, is on the pavement outside a house that was and remains connected to WRVAUX 18 some distance away as do the neighbouring properties.

Whilst I appreciate the contribution of your side-note, and I'm sure it adds somewhat to the discussion, I am not sure how the precise specifics of the situation/arrangements made at your locale, help with my location-specific enquiries at this one. I am not being pedantic here, I am very grateful, but at a loss as to how it's related to this case.

Thanks for trying to help me smile

Edited by glossywhite (Mon 16-Apr-18 00:47:48)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Apr-18 00:56:08
Print Post

at a loss as to how it's related to this case.
You are the one who was asking why BT did not move people to a nearer cab. You may be at a loss to understand the purpose of my post in much the same way as I am at a loss to understand your inability to appreciate that BT are unable to carry out a network arrangement on the whim of and at no cost to the customer.

Nevertheless let's hope you are now connected to the nearby cabinet and will benefit from its proximity.
(committed) Mon 16-Apr-18 01:03:48
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
at a loss as to how it's related to this case.
You are the one who was asking why BT did not move people to a nearer cab. You may be at a loss to understand the purpose of my post in much the same way as I am at a loss to understand your inability to appreciate that BT are unable to carry out a network arrangement on the whim of and at no cost to the customer.

Nevertheless let's hope you are now connected to the nearby cabinet and will benefit from its proximity.

You're inferring this whim, where I haven't implied it. I don't "expect" anything of the sort, I ask direct questions because I am a question asker and seek answers - I do not feel I am entitled to said answers, but I ask them in order to learn and grow my knowledge. I said that to my FTTC-uneducated mind, the nearer of the two cabs makes most sense for me to be connected to ON THE SURFACE and at a cursory, uninformed level, but I understand that straight forward black and white logic doesn't always and cannot always, get or be adhered to in practice. Again, understand that I am not "in the know" regarding the extremely niche world of knowing all the interconnections, terminations, obscure context-specific broadband acronyms or every conceivable form of wiring practice, cabinet deployment, BTOR logistics, technologies etc... maybe you read things into my comments which I didn't ever mean - who knows - it's a misunderstanding I think, maybe on both our parts.

If I knew this stuff, I wouldn't be asking other people and consuming their time. I am usually a observational learner, not an interactive one; I learn fast, but since I have no real passion for caring about/learning about ADSL/FTTC to a greater degree, I delegate to those who invest their time in doing so, and value it a lot. I find forums quickly (can) get tedious and emotionally wearing, because misunderstandings inevitably arise.

I don't mean to come across unappreciative; I am slightly autistic, I do not always understand the subtleties of text-based comms online, forgive me. smile

Edited by glossywhite (Mon 16-Apr-18 01:21:31)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Apr-18 01:55:26
Print Post

The BTw Availability Checker tells you which phone cab (PCP) your copper landline from your home (D-Side) is connected to now & forever-and-a-day.

Your Fibre will be connected from your phone cab to its nearby twinned Fibre cab.

BT will not move your landline to a nearer phone cab, or even a combined cab being commisioned, just to give you faster Fibre. So as your landline is on Cab 3 it will stay on Cab 3.

EDIT: The BTw Checker only says your VDSL is "Planned". Of course BT might have more far-reaching corporate plans than just speeding up your individual Fibre. By the same token the speed estimates are only "planned estimates" wink.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 16-Apr-18 02:25:28)

(committed) Mon 16-Apr-18 01:57:02
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
The BTw Availability Checker tells you which phone cab (PCP) your copper landline from your home (D-Side) is connected to now & forever-and-a-day.

Your Fibre will be connected from your phone cab to its nearby twinned Fibre cab.

BT will not move your landline to a nearer phone cab, or even a combined cab being commisioned, just to give you faster Fibre. So as your landline is on Cab 3 it will stay on Cab 3.

My enquiries are probably being misunderstood by some people; I am not asking or expecting anyone TO move me, I'm not expecting ANY special treatment. my enquiries are based upon the premise that BTW checkers are often wrong; notable examples of this are demonstrated by observing the diff cab #'s given when doing an address check (P4) vs a line check (Cabinet 3) - that's all. smile

Thanks Ray. Succinct and concise as always! smile

Edited by glossywhite (Mon 16-Apr-18 02:05:03)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Apr-18 02:24:10
Print Post

Do you really get a diff cab on an address check from a phone no. check? Do they give the same estimates, Fibre & ADSL? Is the ADSL estimate about what sync speed you are getting?

That could be interpreted as:
  • The phone no. check knows your landline is already connected to Cab 3 so that's what it reports.
  • The address check is working on the basis that you don't already have a landline & so giving you the nearer cab to connect any new landline.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(committed) Mon 16-Apr-18 02:33:41
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

"Do you really get a diff cab on an address check from a phone no. check? Do they give the same estimates, Fibre & ADSL? Is the ADSL estimate about what sync speed you are getting?"

Yes I do. Same estimates - IDENTICAL in fact. Look... https://flic.kr/s/aHskzrgxqd

... hence the detailed questions, since it appears BTW's own database doesn't know it's own network. Added my Asus sync page for you into that album. Thanks Ray!

Edited by glossywhite (Mon 16-Apr-18 02:38:29)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Apr-18 02:40:19
Print Post

Not exactly identical. Cab 4 is Available while Cab 3 is only Planned.

What is your ADSL Down Sync speed normally?

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to