User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User glossywhite
(committed) Mon 16-Apr-18 02:42:27
Print Post

Re: ADSL to FTTC regrade overdue now

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Well, near enough identical (except for avail vs planned, yeah). Not sure, I rarely check sync speed (I only enter this broadband tech world when I am working on it, or an upgrade) but it's usually around 12Mbps down...ish.

Edited by glossywhite (Mon 16-Apr-18 02:43:06)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Apr-18 02:47:24
Print Post

[re: glossywhite] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by glossywhite:
since it appears BTW's own database doesn't know it's own network.
What was wrong with my theory?

ADSL speeds are nearer to Cab 3 estimates.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(committed) Mon 16-Apr-18 02:49:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by glossywhite:
since it appears BTW's own database doesn't know it's own network.
What was wrong with my theory?

ADSL speeds are nearer to Cab 3 estimates.

What theory? I'm quite lost now.

[edit in case you've read this already]: Ah right, yes nothing wrong with your theory.

Edited by glossywhite (Mon 16-Apr-18 02:53:12)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Apr-18 02:52:27
Print Post

That the address checker gives the nearest cab to connect a new landline cuz it's unaware you already have an existing landline connected to a further cab.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(committed) Mon 16-Apr-18 02:54:45
Print Post

Your theory is valid and possibly true. Then again, I generally go for absolutes in the physical, observable world... but since that is not possible right now, yes it makes sense to me - that was also something I'd considered a few times.
(committed) Mon 16-Apr-18 03:02:59
Print Post

Ahhh!

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc.htm

I now understand the structure and interconnects between the PCP and the FTTC cab. Riiiiight! I assumed (yes, assumption, the one thing I hate, I've been doing myself!) that the FTTC cab line cards carried voice AND data, so in effect, the FTTC cab would be a "mini telephone exchange" for VDSL *and* voice, thinking they both routed through it. I sit corrected!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Apr-18 03:08:59
Print Post

Yes, it's only FTTP/H that carries both voice & VDSL.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 16-Apr-18 03:09:33)

(committed) Mon 16-Apr-18 03:19:18
Print Post

So as I see it, if on a PCP, when one asks for FTTC, the PCP becomes a "tee junction" on my line and VDSL is piped into my existing copper from the side - from the link to the PCP from the FTTC cab, ... it's slip-streamed onto the wires "halfway" at some point along the path of the line, the same was as a stream enters a large river and merges into it, so to speak...

[edit]:

Actually, this is a more detailed, elegant diagram to me:
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/images/BTOR_Fibre_Network...

Edited by glossywhite (Mon 16-Apr-18 03:30:22)

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Mon 16-Apr-18 19:12:13
Print Post

Glossywhite

The part you need to know is that your existing wires are connected to Cab 3 and when FTTC is provided you will get 64.3 to 80Mb downstream. As both estimates are the same you do not need to worry about why you are connect to cab 3 instead of cab 4.

Keep an eye on the checker and when it goes to available your order will be processed.

I doubt this will be tomorrow! (17th April 2018) but would love to be wrong!

Is cab 3 an AIO or is it an existing PCP with associated FTTC cab?

Your picture of Cab 4 has no number on it, there should be a white number on the front or side of an AIO and PCP (but not a FTTC cab), it is worth checking to confirm the locations.

The estimate against the phone number is based on actual ( measured ) line conditions, that against the address is guessed based on speeds on the DP ( pole or underground). Where you are further from the DP than 'normal' the address estimate can be higher than actual ( regularly found on final drops with several poles).
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Mon 16-Apr-18 19:23:23
Print Post

Glossywhite

The picture is not quite correct.

The wires from the exchange go to the PCP then to your house. When FTTC is added they go Exchange / PCP / FTTC cab / PCP / House.

There are 100 pair ties between the PCP and FTTC cab and everything loops so that the connection from exchange to PCP and PCP to your house stays the same but the FTTC cab is added in. This also means that no work is done in the FTTC cab just the PCP ( keeps fingers / damp etc out of the electronics ).

IF you are being connected to a 'new' AIO cab the info below may help explain the waiting timescale!

In an AIO cab those pairs being served are diverted into the PCP side of the cab and out again from the existing cable and the FTTC side is served exactly the same as in the paired solution with no access required when connecting a customer.

The work to connect the pairs up and transfer existing FTTC customers can take longer than you would expect due to having to agree a date for each move with the 'owning' ISP and no new FTTC customers can be provided until all existing ones are moved.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to