User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User glossywhite
(committed) Sat 14-Apr-18 00:45:35
Print Post

ADSL to FTTC regrade overdue now

[link to this post]

Am I being impatient?

My ADSL2 to FTTC regrade was marked as 13/4. They said "up to midnight". When I spoke to EE on 13/4 (now yesterday) they said no notes on order indicating any hold ups or issues.

What's the deal here? BTW checker also still blindly saying "Open order on your line due for 13th April" etc.

Admittedly I'm skeptical with giant corps, based on decades of experience with bluff and incompetence being the rule, generally, not the exception.

[EDIT]:

Interesting point of note:

*Before* we had been upgraded - by EE - from ADSL to ADSL2+, our WAN IP was always a 95.**.**.** address, and since we were put on ADSL2+ (a few years ago) it was ALWAYS a 2.25.**.** address.

Before yesterday (13th April) it was still a 2.25.**.** address - but yesterday it changed back to a 95.**.**.** address... and now I've just rebooted my Asus (ADSL/ADSL2+ "DSL-N14U") router, and yes - we're still on ADSL2+ but the IP range has reverted BACK to 2.25.**.** - this, to me, could be indicative of something happening... ?

~~ Spoke to a VERY kind, friendly person @ BT "SMC" via a number I've known for years - he did a cursory check on BT's job # system, and said all BTOR work has been completed on time and provisioned, jumpers done etc, and it's now a matter of waiting for EE's system to do whatever it does in software, to switch me over.

Please ease my mind... hehe... Thanks.

Edited by glossywhite (Sat 14-Apr-18 04:48:32)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Apr-18 05:11:32
Print Post

Re: ADSL to FTTC regrade overdue now

[re: glossywhite] [link to this post]

History shows it'll probably be there by morning.

Originally Orange had 2 public IP pools:
  1. The 95.something pool for ADSL Max.
  2. The 2.something pool for ADSL2+.
but when Fibre came in they quickly ran out of the 2. pool and started to use the 95. pool as well
So now any switch between 2. and 95. is yer normal dynamic IP coming into play at a resync.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(committed) Sat 14-Apr-18 05:24:47
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
History shows it'll probably be there by morning.

Originally Orange had 2 public IP pools:
  1. The 95.something pool for ADSL Max.
  2. The 2.something pool for ADSL2+.
but when Fibre came in they quickly ran out of the 2. pool and started to use the 95. pool as well
So now any switch between 2. and 95. is yer normal dynamic IP coming into play at a resync.

Thank you so much. I feel I was over-analysing things a bit... I suppose that tends to happen when digital/computer tasks are taken out of my hands, what with me being a VERY self-sufficient self-taught engineer, needing to rely on unknown quantities doesn't happen very often at all - I need to chill out and let it happen, he he!

Thank you for your assistance, stellar and helpful as always, Ray. smile

Have a lovely weekend; heatwave next week, apparently!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 14-Apr-18 09:57:17
Print Post

"~~ Spoke to a VERY kind, friendly person @ BT "SMC" via a number I've known for years - he did a cursory check on BT's job # system, and said all BTOR work has been completed on time and provisioned, jumpers done etc, and it's now a matter of waiting for EE's system to do whatever it does in software, to switch me over."

This is wrong.

For FTTC once the physical work has been done at the cabinet your ADSL/ADSL2+ signal will be cut off and you have either VDSL2 or not

Seems like the Openreach work has not gone through, assuming a provider VDSL2 order was placed.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(committed) Sat 14-Apr-18 11:09:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well this is weird, if not slightly irritating; I've received an email telling me "You'll be connected by midnight on 11th" but an SMS stating the 17th before midnight! All along I've been told the 13th over the phone (11th was EE's date, amended by BTOR as engineer couldn't attend then) ... BT Wholesale line # checker completion date has also jumped to 17th.

None of this surprises me; this is the same EE who sent me the Royal Mail tracking number related to MY PREVIOUS ROUTER, sent to me in 2017, for the Smart Hub order bundled with this fibre (yes, it even states this OLD tracking # in my account), yet, when I called to chase up, last week, the CORRECT one was issued which matched the barcode when delivered.

... and these companies.wonder why they have security breaches and data leaks, when they can't even get the FUNDAMENTALS right... gosh. Wow.

Edited by glossywhite (Sat 14-Apr-18 11:11:32)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 14-Apr-18 13:25:46
Print Post

Appointments work as in providers can see possible availability and while that often does work out to be the real date, Openreach need to confirm it, so this may explain the variations

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(committed) Sat 14-Apr-18 16:20:24
Print Post

This is extremely unprofessional and vague. A date is a date is a date; if I say I'm going to do a job for someone on a date I confirm, you'd better believe I've made sure 100% it'll be that day, not 4 days later. Anyone can use reasons as an excuse; unacceptable - British workers are notorious for their lateness and ability to wriggle out of things; funny how the Japanese and Germans don't have issues like this.
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Apr-18 18:21:39
Print Post

I know your pain. I decided in mid-January to switch phone line from my old provider (well, Post Office Telecomms, after they took on the business with former customers of Primus / Fuel Broadband, when that firm gave up on phone-line-only customers).

Originally told 30/Jan, I was later told 06/Feb (as the upgrade to FTTC could not be done while the switch was ordered but not completed)...

But... then another week went by because OR didn't make it on the first date in February...

This many weeks on, I still don't get the 'guaranteed' 27.4 Mbps (25 Mbps today) but it is fine most of the time and I do push it from time to time !

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
(committed) Sat 14-Apr-18 23:28:30
Print Post

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

Spoke to EE today, they "guaranteed" me my line will be on FTTC by midnight on the 17th. Here's what I can't understand... the EE guy says "The BTOR order tracker says 'further work required' ... but the 17th is confirmed on two of our systems, one of which is 'EcoPlus' and that, along with tags on your line, shows 17th is definitely the date you'll be connected" (he seemed very confident, and sounded like he knew his stuff... who knows!)

What do "tags" mean? Also he was speaking as if BTOR have upgraded my cab #3 with FTTC, especially for this job... when you look at cab #3 on the cabinet database, it says "planned for July 2018"

So, what so you think they're actually doing? I'm curious as an engineer myself, how these processes work; they fascinate me.

Thanks.

Edited by glossywhite (Sat 14-Apr-18 23:31:39)

(committed) Sun 15-Apr-18 17:10:55
Print Post

Question:

*Please note, I am not in the least concerned or worried about the imminent fttc completion, this is of personal interest to my engineering mind smile*

Is this https://flic.kr/p/24Q77T6 a Huawei All-In-One (AIO) cabinet? If so, this is located ~200m from my house, at the bottom of our road; I took this photo when it was first installed in August 2017 (all measurements done on Google maps, "as the crow flies") and this cabinet appears to be "P4" (and CodeLook map seems to have misplaced it so that it's MUCH further up our road, ergo nearer to us, which it is not)

Now, the "Cabinet 3" EE/BTOR are telling me I am connected to is ~600m away; do they mean which I am currently connected to, or is this data merely based upon what I am connected to PRE-FTTC upgrade? I know little about these cabinet types, suffice to say the "P4" cabinet - being ~400m closer - would appear to be the more logical one to connect us to for FTTC (and yes, I know logic doesn't often appeal to BT as a viable way of working). Is this "Cabinet 3" on CodeLook, an FTTC cab or just a PCP? (and what IS a PCP, and do they get upgraded to FTTC cabs?)

Finally, based upon TBB's speed/distance cross-reference chart for FTTC https://www.thinkbroadband.com/guides/fibre-fttc-ftt... , it would appear that IF I were connected to "Cabinet 3", I would be getting ~35Mbps d/l speeds, and since the BTW checker is quoting me d/l speeds of 80Mbps (clean) and 72Mbps (impacted) based on that cabinet, it just not compute...

As always, I delegate to those with expertise in these areas, thanks so much smile

Edited by glossywhite (Sun 15-Apr-18 17:20:12)

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Sun 15-Apr-18 19:26:03
Print Post

glossywhite

Put you telephone number in https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome and it will tell you your cab at the top.

It will also give you the BT wholesale speed estimate.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Apr-18 21:27:11
Print Post

As an aside. The development of 75 flats and house where I live was previously all EO lines whereas our neighbours on either side and on the other side of the road were supplied from a PCP and associated FTTC twin. As a community we gap funded a network rearrangement including an AIO cab to supply the development. This AIO cab, WRVAUX 58, is on the pavement outside a house that was and remains connected to WRVAUX 18 some distance away as do the neighbouring properties.
(committed) Mon 16-Apr-18 00:39:36
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kitcat:
glossywhite

Put you telephone number in https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome and it will tell you your cab at the top.

It will also give you the BT wholesale speed estimate.

Thank you for the suggestion, I appreciate the help you offer. I am way past that stage now - I already know/knew about the checker, years ago, these posts are to ascertain the precise locations & types of cabs independent of the seemingly erroneous BT checker database sources ; if you read my comments again you'll understand the context in which said questions are being asked smile

I appreciate your help! smile

In reply to a post by MCM:
As an aside. The development of 75 flats and house where I live was previously all EO lines whereas our neighbours on either side and on the other side of the road were supplied from a PCP and associated FTTC twin. As a community we gap funded a network rearrangement including an AIO cab to supply the development. This AIO cab, WRVAUX 58, is on the pavement outside a house that was and remains connected to WRVAUX 18 some distance away as do the neighbouring properties.

Whilst I appreciate the contribution of your side-note, and I'm sure it adds somewhat to the discussion, I am not sure how the precise specifics of the situation/arrangements made at your locale, help with my location-specific enquiries at this one. I am not being pedantic here, I am very grateful, but at a loss as to how it's related to this case.

Thanks for trying to help me smile

Edited by glossywhite (Mon 16-Apr-18 00:47:48)

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Apr-18 00:56:08
Print Post

at a loss as to how it's related to this case.
You are the one who was asking why BT did not move people to a nearer cab. You may be at a loss to understand the purpose of my post in much the same way as I am at a loss to understand your inability to appreciate that BT are unable to carry out a network arrangement on the whim of and at no cost to the customer.

Nevertheless let's hope you are now connected to the nearby cabinet and will benefit from its proximity.
(committed) Mon 16-Apr-18 01:03:48
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
at a loss as to how it's related to this case.
You are the one who was asking why BT did not move people to a nearer cab. You may be at a loss to understand the purpose of my post in much the same way as I am at a loss to understand your inability to appreciate that BT are unable to carry out a network arrangement on the whim of and at no cost to the customer.

Nevertheless let's hope you are now connected to the nearby cabinet and will benefit from its proximity.

You're inferring this whim, where I haven't implied it. I don't "expect" anything of the sort, I ask direct questions because I am a question asker and seek answers - I do not feel I am entitled to said answers, but I ask them in order to learn and grow my knowledge. I said that to my FTTC-uneducated mind, the nearer of the two cabs makes most sense for me to be connected to ON THE SURFACE and at a cursory, uninformed level, but I understand that straight forward black and white logic doesn't always and cannot always, get or be adhered to in practice. Again, understand that I am not "in the know" regarding the extremely niche world of knowing all the interconnections, terminations, obscure context-specific broadband acronyms or every conceivable form of wiring practice, cabinet deployment, BTOR logistics, technologies etc... maybe you read things into my comments which I didn't ever mean - who knows - it's a misunderstanding I think, maybe on both our parts.

If I knew this stuff, I wouldn't be asking other people and consuming their time. I am usually a observational learner, not an interactive one; I learn fast, but since I have no real passion for caring about/learning about ADSL/FTTC to a greater degree, I delegate to those who invest their time in doing so, and value it a lot. I find forums quickly (can) get tedious and emotionally wearing, because misunderstandings inevitably arise.

I don't mean to come across unappreciative; I am slightly autistic, I do not always understand the subtleties of text-based comms online, forgive me. smile

Edited by glossywhite (Mon 16-Apr-18 01:21:31)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Apr-18 01:55:26
Print Post

The BTw Availability Checker tells you which phone cab (PCP) your copper landline from your home (D-Side) is connected to now & forever-and-a-day.

Your Fibre will be connected from your phone cab to its nearby twinned Fibre cab.

BT will not move your landline to a nearer phone cab, or even a combined cab being commisioned, just to give you faster Fibre. So as your landline is on Cab 3 it will stay on Cab 3.

EDIT: The BTw Checker only says your VDSL is "Planned". Of course BT might have more far-reaching corporate plans than just speeding up your individual Fibre. By the same token the speed estimates are only "planned estimates" wink.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 16-Apr-18 02:25:28)

(committed) Mon 16-Apr-18 01:57:02
Print Post

The BTw Availability Checker tells you which phone cab (PCP) your copper landline from your home (D-Side) is connected to now & forever-and-a-day.

Your Fibre will be connected from your phone cab to its nearby twinned Fibre cab.

BT will not move your landline to a nearer phone cab, or even a combined cab being commisioned, just to give you faster Fibre. So as your landline is on Cab 3 it will stay on Cab 3.

My enquiries are probably being misunderstood by some people; I am not asking or expecting anyone TO move me, I'm not expecting ANY special treatment. my enquiries are based upon the premise that BTW checkers are often wrong; notable examples of this are demonstrated by observing the diff cab #'s given when doing an address check (P4) vs a line check (Cabinet 3) - that's all. smile

Thanks Ray. Succinct and concise as always! smile

Edited by glossywhite (Mon 16-Apr-18 02:05:03)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Apr-18 02:24:10
Print Post

Do you really get a diff cab on an address check from a phone no. check? Do they give the same estimates, Fibre & ADSL? Is the ADSL estimate about what sync speed you are getting?

That could be interpreted as:
  • The phone no. check knows your landline is already connected to Cab 3 so that's what it reports.
  • The address check is working on the basis that you don't already have a landline & so giving you the nearer cab to connect any new landline.

(committed) Mon 16-Apr-18 02:33:41
Print Post

"Do you really get a diff cab on an address check from a phone no. check? Do they give the same estimates, Fibre & ADSL? Is the ADSL estimate about what sync speed you are getting?"

Yes I do. Same estimates - IDENTICAL in fact. Look... https://flic.kr/s/aHskzrgxqd

... hence the detailed questions, since it appears BTW's own database doesn't know it's own network. Added my Asus sync page for you into that album. Thanks Ray!

Edited by glossywhite (Mon 16-Apr-18 02:38:29)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Apr-18 02:40:19
Print Post

Not exactly identical. Cab 4 is Available while Cab 3 is only Planned.

What is your ADSL Down Sync speed normally?

(committed) Mon 16-Apr-18 02:42:27
Print Post

Well, near enough identical (except for avail vs planned, yeah). Not sure, I rarely check sync speed (I only enter this broadband tech world when I am working on it, or an upgrade) but it's usually around 12Mbps down...ish.

Edited by glossywhite (Mon 16-Apr-18 02:43:06)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Apr-18 02:47:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by glossywhite:
since it appears BTW's own database doesn't know it's own network.
What was wrong with my theory?

ADSL speeds are nearer to Cab 3 estimates.

(committed) Mon 16-Apr-18 02:49:03
Print Post

since it appears BTW's own database doesn't know it's own network.
What was wrong with my theory?

ADSL speeds are nearer to Cab 3 estimates.

What theory? I'm quite lost now.

[edit in case you've read this already]: Ah right, yes nothing wrong with your theory.

Edited by glossywhite (Mon 16-Apr-18 02:53:12)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Apr-18 02:52:27
Print Post

That the address checker gives the nearest cab to connect a new landline cuz it's unaware you already have an existing landline connected to a further cab.

(committed) Mon 16-Apr-18 02:54:45
Print Post

Your theory is valid and possibly true. Then again, I generally go for absolutes in the physical, observable world... but since that is not possible right now, yes it makes sense to me - that was also something I'd considered a few times.
(committed) Mon 16-Apr-18 03:02:59
Print Post

Ahhh!

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc.htm

I now understand the structure and interconnects between the PCP and the FTTC cab. Riiiiight! I assumed (yes, assumption, the one thing I hate, I've been doing myself!) that the FTTC cab line cards carried voice AND data, so in effect, the FTTC cab would be a "mini telephone exchange" for VDSL *and* voice, thinking they both routed through it. I sit corrected!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Apr-18 03:08:59
Print Post

Yes, it's only FTTP/H that carries both voice & VDSL.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 16-Apr-18 03:09:33)

(committed) Mon 16-Apr-18 03:19:18
Print Post

So as I see it, if on a PCP, when one asks for FTTC, the PCP becomes a "tee junction" on my line and VDSL is piped into my existing copper from the side - from the link to the PCP from the FTTC cab, ... it's slip-streamed onto the wires "halfway" at some point along the path of the line, the same was as a stream enters a large river and merges into it, so to speak...

[edit]:

Actually, this is a more detailed, elegant diagram to me:
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/images/BTOR_Fibre_Network...

Edited by glossywhite (Mon 16-Apr-18 03:30:22)

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Mon 16-Apr-18 19:12:13
Print Post

Glossywhite

The part you need to know is that your existing wires are connected to Cab 3 and when FTTC is provided you will get 64.3 to 80Mb downstream. As both estimates are the same you do not need to worry about why you are connect to cab 3 instead of cab 4.

Keep an eye on the checker and when it goes to available your order will be processed.

I doubt this will be tomorrow! (17th April 2018) but would love to be wrong!

Is cab 3 an AIO or is it an existing PCP with associated FTTC cab?

Your picture of Cab 4 has no number on it, there should be a white number on the front or side of an AIO and PCP (but not a FTTC cab), it is worth checking to confirm the locations.

The estimate against the phone number is based on actual ( measured ) line conditions, that against the address is guessed based on speeds on the DP ( pole or underground). Where you are further from the DP than 'normal' the address estimate can be higher than actual ( regularly found on final drops with several poles).
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Mon 16-Apr-18 19:23:23
Print Post

Glossywhite

The picture is not quite correct.

The wires from the exchange go to the PCP then to your house. When FTTC is added they go Exchange / PCP / FTTC cab / PCP / House.

There are 100 pair ties between the PCP and FTTC cab and everything loops so that the connection from exchange to PCP and PCP to your house stays the same but the FTTC cab is added in. This also means that no work is done in the FTTC cab just the PCP ( keeps fingers / damp etc out of the electronics ).

IF you are being connected to a 'new' AIO cab the info below may help explain the waiting timescale!

In an AIO cab those pairs being served are diverted into the PCP side of the cab and out again from the existing cable and the FTTC side is served exactly the same as in the paired solution with no access required when connecting a customer.

The work to connect the pairs up and transfer existing FTTC customers can take longer than you would expect due to having to agree a date for each move with the 'owning' ISP and no new FTTC customers can be provided until all existing ones are moved.
Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Apr-18 19:55:13
Print Post

I wouldn't feel bad about that. When I switched to Pulse8 FTTC and had a line problem, they believed the same as you until I referred them to the very same information. Let's hope they remember!

(committed) Mon 16-Apr-18 22:02:01
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

@kitcat: Thank you for your informative and helpful input.

BTOR say there is a "GEA" (Generic Ethernet Access?) job on my line, due to complete tomorrow. I'm not sure what that means...

Edited by glossywhite (Tue 17-Apr-18 04:01:07)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Apr-18 22:04:12
Print Post

GEA is the GEA-FTTC service, so probably the provide

(committed) Mon 16-Apr-18 22:12:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
GEA is the GEA-FTTC service, so probably the provide

Would you mind expanding on that for me and explaining in layman's terms, thank you.

[Update]:

Listened back to my call with EE from the 14th of April, and he said "Eco Plus" & "tags on the line" systems BOTH confirm that 17th is the day we'll be switched on. He said "guaranteed" in the call.

Edited by glossywhite (Mon 16-Apr-18 22:33:20)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Apr-18 22:52:25
Print Post

GEA = Generic Ethernet Access Fibre to the Cabinet

Which is what Openreach call the VDSL2 service

So as a GEA job when you are waiting on moving to FTTC probably is a GEA provide

(committed) Mon 16-Apr-18 22:56:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
GEA = Generic Ethernet Access Fibre to the Cabinet

Which is what Openreach call the VDSL2 service

So as a GEA job when you are waiting on moving to FTTC probably is a GEA provide

So tomorrow you suspect is the big day, based on my info?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Apr-18 23:27:08
Print Post

Probably

(committed) Tue 17-Apr-18 03:27:08
Print Post

Newsflash! smile

Just spoke to someone internally at BT (an SMC in Scotland) and the BT engineer on duty said "I can tell you you're on cabinet number 3, and I can tell you 100% beyond any shadow of a doubt that this cabinet DOES have FTTC enabled, and that there's a job scheduled for 8am today to connect you up to fibre, and it's pretty much a guarantee."

This was an internal guy, somewhere in Scotland, something to do with frames and provisioning.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Tue 17-Apr-18 14:22:45
Print Post

Glossywhite

If you look at the checker does it still say planed or does it now say available?

You may be one of the first ( maybe the first) to go live on the cab.

Please run a speed test on this site and let us know the results once EE have done their bit as well.

I assume you are a night worker from your weekday posting times so will see this when you wake up! and everything will be complete.by then.

Edited by kitcat (Tue 17-Apr-18 14:26:21)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Apr-18 16:02:40
Print Post

CodeLook map seems to have misplaced it so that it's MUCH further up our road
I just looked at CodeLook for my exchange & it also completely misplaces my cab. to be in the completely opposite direction from me.

Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Tue 17-Apr-18 16:29:28
Print Post

Codelook site does state that cabinet positions are not accurate but just a general postcode area so not the actual cabinet location. Mine was actually spot on when in the planning stage but changed after activation to an incorrect post code so a long way off!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Apr-18 16:41:58
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

I'm going by the map, as did OP, not just the postcode.

(member) Tue 17-Apr-18 16:58:14
Print Post

Perhaps I did not make it clear enough for you, this is what the site says .....

"The map shows green circles for the general area of each cabinet or exchange link, not the specific location of the cabinet."

Happy now?

Edited by Realalemadrid (Tue 17-Apr-18 16:59:56)

(committed) Tue 17-Apr-18 17:19:36
Print Post

Green dot misplacements aside, I just had a call from my Openreach engineer who's at the bottom of my road ... connecting me to cabinet #4, and he asked me to connect up my Smart Hub, which of course I've done. Again, cabinet #4

laugh
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Tue 17-Apr-18 18:18:29
Print Post

Glossywhite

This gives us a different picture.

Cab 4 is a new AIO cab that has been connected into your local cables, so while you were on Cab 3 the cables had been rerouted into ( and out of) cab 4, This will affect all those in the same ( usually 100 pair but could be times 2) cable.

OR will have a list of all DPs affected and their systems will reflect the fact that you are connected to Cab 3 but would be served off cab 4 for FTTC. The BTW system will still see Cab 3 but will give the correct estimate for the DP connected to cab 4 ( as estimates are by DP or pair) .

If you look at the checker in the future it will ( should) now show cab 4.

The insertion of a Cab 'downstream' of an existing FTTC cab is still a fairly rare event ( must be a couple of 100 out of over 80000) so we are still learning how the OR and BTW systems reflect the changes as people migrate. ( We have to reverse engineer from the scenarios we get told).

Except for people like on this forum the cab you are served from is of no interest to most people, what is important is the speed they can get.
Please remember the speed test as this will improve this sites view of the speeds at your postcode as well as confirm yur estimate.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Apr-18 18:29:24
Print Post

Don't spot any mention of the exchange, as was going to check what I had position wise for cab 4

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Tue 17-Apr-18 18:39:42
Print Post

From his posted Estimate up the thread.

EMCRANF

Cranford Kettering.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Apr-18 19:29:23
Print Post

Actually you didn't. You spoke only of postcodes not maps.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 17-Apr-18 19:30:58)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Apr-18 19:40:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by kitcat:
so while you were on Cab 3 the cables had been rerouted into ( and out of) cab 4
Are you saying they have been completely removed from Cab 3 or do they still go via there for the voice? Cuz later on you say:
If you look at the checker in the future it will ( should) now show cab 4.
@glossywhite: What does the BTw Checker say now for your phone no?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Apr-18 20:33:21
Print Post

In which case I believe its outside the Memorial Hall cabinet 4

(member) Tue 17-Apr-18 20:44:50
Print Post

This is getting tiresome, I actually spoke of cabinet positions shown on the map that are based on the postcode so are not the true location of the cabinet and it is of no relevance to the OP's thread so I'll leave it there.
(committed) Tue 17-Apr-18 22:01:25
Print Post

Okay, it all started working around 00:20hrs today; here's some stats:

This is a list of your EE Smart Hub settings and current statistics.
Product name:Smart Hub
Serial number:+EEH001+<snip>
Firmware version:v0.00.14.52013-EE
Firmware updated:Your Firmware has not been updated.
Board version:01
DSL uptime:0 days, 0 Hours, 9 Mins, 58 Secs
Data rate:20.00 Mbps / 80.00 Mbps
Maximum data rate:37.06 Mbps / 116.74 Mbps
Noise margin (up/down):23.8 / 17.4
Line attenuation (up/down):14.5 / 13.4
Signal attenuation (up/down):14.4 / 13.4
Data sent / received:10.3 MB / 1.2 GB
Broadband username:<snip>@fs
2.4 GHz wireless network name:KITTYKATSKI
2.4 GHz wireless channel:Channel: 11
5 GHz wireless network name:5GHz-KITTYKATSKI
5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel 48)
Wireless security:WPA2
Wireless mode:Mode 1
Firewall:Default
MAC address:94:6A:B0:23:4F:2E
Software variant:-
Boot loader: 0.0.3-EE (Mon Dec 4 17:32:53 2017)

Edited by glossywhite (Wed 18-Apr-18 02:01:49)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Apr-18 04:49:14
Print Post

Nice! You are getting full whack. It was worth waiting for smile.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Wed 18-Apr-18 04:52:11)

(committed) Wed 18-Apr-18 05:04:26
Print Post

laugh Indeed I am, thanks Ray! smile
(committed) Mon 23-Apr-18 03:27:44
Print Post

~~ UPDATE ~~

It seems Openreach's database has finally updated itself to reflect the work which was carried out in order to facilitate the provisioning of my FTTC, last week (17th of April 2018):

https://flic.kr/p/26nMMNq

If you compare that to the old results, captured on the 16th of April 2018, you'll see the change. Here's the old result:

https://flic.kr/p/269e5yd
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Apr-18 05:09:54
Print Post

Still on Cab 3 despite previous speculation.

(committed) Mon 23-Apr-18 15:58:25
Print Post

Still on Cab 3 despite previous speculation.

Exactly. wink
(committed) Mon 23-Apr-18 22:32:56
Print Post

Weirdness:

When I enter my number into BTW checker, it says Cabinet 3 FTTC "Available". However, when I enter *any* of my immediate neighbour's phone numbers (they're all literally tens of feet away from us) into the checker, it comes back "Cabinet 3 - planned".

If I'm a member of the public and find this inconsistent and confusing, I can only imagine how confused the people *doing the provision* are...
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Apr-18 23:45:51
Print Post

Do these neighbours have BB hosted on BTw landlines? N.B. This excludes mainly Sky, TT & VM.

Presumably they do as you used the phone no. checker & not the address checker, didn't you?

(committed) Tue 24-Apr-18 01:03:01
Print Post

Do these neighbours have BB hosted on BTw landlines? N.B. This excludes mainly Sky, TT & VM.

Presumably they do as you used the phone no. checker & not the address checker, didn't you?

There's no other line provider *except* BTw out here in these old sticks (and hasn't been since 1982 when I moved here, afaik) as we're non-LLU (I think I am right in thinking that is the part which makes the difference... right?) - we're a medium sized village, there's nowt but ADSL and - now - FTTC out here, and I've never known anyone to have a NON-BTw line (BTw line sold as a product of another ISP.)

I know, for one, that the neighbour most annoyed with their ISP about being given the FTTC brush-off is with BT themselves, and she's literally 20 seconds walk away, a few tens of feet from me. Another friend (again, feet away) told me tonight that their next door neighbour was SO fed up with BT's cock and bull stories, they've taken up FTTC with Vodafone, and are scheduled for connection "next week" (pah, we shall see, haha!)

I'm in the process of collating info and compiling some form of graphical "info sheet" which I'll be posting to the neighbouring streets, once I have said info checked and made CRYSTAL CLEAR (and I know how aggravating it is to have things explained in layman's terms when most people are just average 9-5, 2.1 children families - they don't care about this hoopla - they just want SPEED, and if the Jones' have fibre, they want it!)

Anywho, BT need to step up their game a LOT, what a bunch they are! ^_^

Edited by glossywhite (Tue 24-Apr-18 01:05:39)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to