User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User SpartaGates
(regular) Sat 21-Apr-18 13:13:05
Print Post

Very quiet forum; hows the service?

[link to this post]

My contract is up with Plusnet and EE seem to be doing some good deals and I am tempted to give them a try. I'm in a rural location and only get about 2mb on BT old legacy adsl so I tend to swap around to keep the price down. Given BT own EE and its all the same wires I would hope that this forum being very quiet indicates that things are OK at EE? Any opinions are welcomed before I jump ;o)
Standard User glossywhite
(committed) Sat 21-Apr-18 21:00:22
Print Post

Re: Very quiet forum; hows the service?

[re: SpartaGates] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by SpartaGates:
My contract is up with Plusnet and EE seem to be doing some good deals and I am tempted to give them a try. I'm in a rural location and only get about 2mb on BT old legacy adsl so I tend to swap around to keep the price down. Given BT own EE and its all the same wires I would hope that this forum being very quiet indicates that things are OK at EE? Any opinions are welcomed before I jump ;o)

EE are great. I have had them since 2011, and they've never failed me. I am the type who will switch overnight, if you stiff me - NO second chances - and they've never failed to deliver a stellar service, both in terms of cost & performance/customer service. They ABOLISHED Indian call centres over a year ago, so you have none of that nonsense to battle with, now.

They ALWAYS save me money (and have issued my LARGE rebates and goodwill credits to buy WiFi equipment, routers etc, when their routers didn't work out well.)

They're polite, courteous, informative and efficient... oh, and human... so yes, the odd mistake gets made, but remember this (if you get negative opinions, en masse, from others) - YOU ONLY EVER hear the voicing of NEGATIVE feedback, LOUDLY, online, as a rule - rarely VOCAL positive feedback (and lest we forget, British people LOVE a good gripe and a whine, and a good grumble - personally I find that a repulsive trait of a nation, overall - people will see this as "a given" that we're like that, with no hint of a need to change - I digress...)

I'd recommend VERY strongly, and continue to do so.

Cheerio smile all the best!

Edited by glossywhite (Sat 21-Apr-18 21:05:35)

Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Sat 21-Apr-18 21:38:29
Print Post

Well if you believe the nonsense from Glossywhite you'll believe anything. EE are a low budget BT sideline who have very little technical competence in terms of customer support so I would be very wary of giving them any consideration. But the choice is yours.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 21-Apr-18 21:51:52
Print Post

I wouldnt touch them, and I worked for them for a while.

Standard User professor973
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Apr-18 23:00:41
Print Post

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/ee.co.uk

https://www.reviews.co.uk/company-reviews/store/ee

https://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband/providers/ee/r...

(committed) Sat 21-Apr-18 23:03:02
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Realalemadrid:
Well if you believe the nonsense from Glossywhite you'll believe anything. EE are a low budget BT sideline who have very little technical competence in terms of customer support so I would be very wary of giving them any consideration. But the choice is yours.

How about promoting your own ideas and thoughts on athe questions asked, in a balanced manner, instead of stooping to being immature with passive aggressive derision? Let's not be spiteful or childish.

thanks.

@SpartaGates:

You'll find.a.somewhat overwhelming population of grumpy, grey-haired know-it-alls on ThinkBroadband; I can only advise you that they'll out themselves without any assistance, please pay them no mind, misery loves company, so they come here seeking it. You'll find SOME happy, cheerful, helpful people who don't attack the opinions of others, but you may have to wade through the swamp of BS to find them; I hope you have endless patience and thick skin.

Edited by glossywhite (Sat 21-Apr-18 23:07:43)

Standard User IanBB
(committed) Sat 21-Apr-18 23:17:47
Print Post

[re: glossywhite] [link to this post]

Did you miss this?

EE are a low budget BT sideline who have very little technical competence in terms of customer support so I would be very wary of giving them any consideration
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 22-Apr-18 00:23:55
Print Post

These forums are quiet not cause EE customers are happy, it's due to the lack of them!

Standard User jdigz7
(member) Sun 22-Apr-18 02:43:05
Print Post

Was with EE for about a year on fibre was fine download speed wise but they had extremely bad routing to alot of servers 300ms peak time pings and packet loss and had no intention of changing anything so while it was nice and cheap it was also not ideal if suddenly your ping goes to 300 and you get packet loss.

Budget options depends on the takeup in your area.
(committed) Sun 22-Apr-18 03:07:07
Print Post

[re: jdigz7] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jdigz7:

Was with EE for about a year on fibre was fine download speed wise but they had extremely bad routing to alot of servers 300ms peak time pings and packet loss and had no intention of changing anything so while it was nice and cheap it was also not ideal if suddenly your ping goes to 300 and you get packet loss.

My EE pings have *ALWAYS* been around 10-14mS, without fail, over 7 years. It depends where you are, as with anything else, and with configurations. One person's pings does not equate to a bad ISP; that's a subjective opinion of EE and of your particular situation (and you may have bad lines, WiFi congestion, your network poorly configured (you're a stranger - we don't know your technical capabilities), not a balanced one.

Edited by glossywhite (Sun 22-Apr-18 03:09:31)

Standard User jdigz7
(member) Sun 22-Apr-18 04:41:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by glossywhite:

My EE pings have *ALWAYS* been around 10-14mS, without fail, over 7 years. It depends where you are, as with anything else, and with configurations. One person's pings does not equate to a bad ISP; that's a subjective opinion of EE and of your particular situation (and you may have bad lines, WiFi congestion, your network poorly configured (you're a stranger - we don't know your technical capabilities), not a balanced one.

First of all this post wasn't directed at you so wind it in a little bit pal.

One person having a good connection does not make a ISP a GOOD performer. I just gave my own personal history with EE.

No Wi-Fi hard wired to the brightbox 2 at the time. Ping problems were down to their own routes being congested at peak times. Support didnt care aslong as i got full speeds.

The line had no issues. No reason for any engineer visits was capable of 140/40

As for my own competence I run a business from home which is tech orientated with a bonded FTTC connection and a Ubiquiti ER-X.

Just because something works ideal for yourself does not mean it does for every other customer.

Anyway I gave me own exp with EE.
(committed) Sun 22-Apr-18 05:28:34
Print Post

... nested quotes trimmed ...

One person having a good connection does not make a ISP a GOOD performer. I just gave my own personal history with EE.

No Wi-Fi hard wired to the brightbox 2 at the time. Ping problems were down to their own routes being congested at peak times. Support didnt care aslong as i got full speeds.

As for my own competence I run a business from home which is tech orientated with a bonded FTTC connection and a Ubiquiti ER-X.

Just because something works ideal for yourself does not mean it does for every other customer.

"Just because something works ideal for yourself does not mean it does for every other customer."

And also, vice versa...

Here, so you can see it spelt out in writing:

"Just because something wasn't ideal for me, does not mean it won't be for every other customer."

Edited by glossywhite (Sun 22-Apr-18 05:32:05)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-Apr-18 12:53:11
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

have very little technical competence in terms of customer support
+1

Only go with EE if you can support yourself. Otherwise they are a cheap value-for-money reliable ISP.

Avoid if you do online gaming to European servers. That's where you get large packet loss & high pings.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User jdigz7
(member) Sun 22-Apr-18 13:18:14
Print Post

... nested quotes trimmed ...

"Just because something works ideal for yourself does not mean it does for every other customer."

And also, vice versa...

Here, so you can see it spelt out in writing:

"Just because something wasn't ideal for me, does not mean it won't be for every other customer."

So by your logic there are 3 people who have voiced an issue about ping times in this thread with EE.

3>1

Jog on pal
(committed) Sun 22-Apr-18 18:06:15
Print Post

So by your logic there are 3 people who have voiced an issue about ping times in this thread with EE.

3>1

Jog on pal

"Jog on pal"

I don't jog, but thanks for the advice.

Edited by glossywhite (Sun 22-Apr-18 18:18:41)

Standard User ironman12345
(member) Sun 22-Apr-18 18:22:35
Print Post

How about promoting your own ideas and thoughts on athe questions asked, in a balanced manner, instead of stooping to being immature with passive aggressive derision? Let's not be spiteful or childish.

thanks.

@SpartaGates:

You'll find.a.somewhat overwhelming population of grumpy, grey-haired know-it-alls on ThinkBroadband; I can only advise you that they'll out themselves without any assistance, please pay them no mind, misery loves company, so they come here seeking it. You'll find SOME happy, cheerful, helpful people who don't attack the opinions of others, but you may have to wade through the swamp of BS to find them; I hope you have endless patience and thick skin.
(population of grumpy, grey-haired know-it-alls on ThinkBroadband) I find the statement that you posted offensive , being older does not make one grumpy and grey hair is part of the deal.
(committed) Sun 22-Apr-18 18:27:37
Print Post

[re: ironman12345] [link to this post]

I have asked for this thread to be cleaned up, as - admittedly - I (and others) appear to have diverged right off track with unnecessary idiocy and smart-assery. I apologise for my part in this, I mean no one any offence, sorry!

Have a nice life everyone smile enjoy the sunshine!

Edited by glossywhite (Sun 22-Apr-18 18:34:45)

Standard User ironman12345
(member) Sun 22-Apr-18 20:30:29
Print Post

I have asked for this thread to be cleaned up, as - admittedly - I (and others) appear to have diverged right off track with unnecessary idiocy and smart-assery. I apologise for my part in this, I mean no one any offence, sorry!

How well do you understand forums ,? , when you edit a post remember that the original one might be sent by email.
BTW before you edited it the post read:
I'm sorry for you that you take offence - man up a little - it was merely a provocative joke on a stereotype, no harm intended.
To try to answer the OP`s question:
EE is ok as long as you do not want to game online [ping] , but for everyday internet use , not a problem I guess.
(committed) Sun 22-Apr-18 22:57:20
Print Post

[re: ironman12345] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ironman12345:

How well do you understand forums ,? , when you edit a post remember that the original one might be sent by email.
BTW before you edited it the post read:
I'm sorry for you that you take offence - man up a little - it was merely a provocative joke on a stereotype, no harm intended.
To try to answer the OP`s question:
EE is ok as long as you do not want to game online [ping] , but for everyday internet use , not a problem I guess.

Right... ok.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Apr-18 00:36:55
Print Post

EE is meant to be a generic ISP; not an Everyday ISP. It is not for it to decide what its users use the Net for. Net Neutrality!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 23-Apr-18 00:40:02)

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Apr-18 19:17:58
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
have very little technical competence in terms of customer support
+1

Only go with EE if you can support yourself. Otherwise they are a cheap value-for-money reliable ISP.

So my friend coming from Plusnet to EE wouldn't know the difference then? They are only considering EE due to the 50GB extra a month 4G they would get - and the fact they need FTTC but don't rely on it..
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 29-Apr-18 20:10:50
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

My impression of PN is that they are more technically competent than the average ISP; not so EE.
In reply to a post by 23Prince:
and the fact they need FTTC but don't rely on it.
What does that mean?

Standard User dohmniq
(learned) Mon 16-Jul-18 08:06:35
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Has anyone seen a changing in routing, or improvement in service, since BT acquired EE?

Asking in case EE's network has/is-to-be merged with BT's which might improve things and because I have EE mobile so could be tempted by more 4G allowance.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Jul-18 10:17:40
Print Post

[re: dohmniq] [link to this post]

Not at all.

Standard User Sammm_
(newbie) Mon 16-Jul-18 11:55:07
Print Post

[re: dohmniq] [link to this post]

I used to be on EE. I was on the standard broadband and almost always got 15-16mbps which was great however as others have mentioned their latency was horrible. On certain popular games i would get around 30-40ms and would spike up to 1000+ on a wired connection. I am now on Zen and I might not get as good of a speed I do get a better ping around 19-21 to certain games.

Central London EO Line 12/0.8 on Zen ADSL
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to