User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User glossywhite
(committed) Tue 24-Apr-18 03:06:14
Print Post

UPnP / DLNA very, VERY flaky on EE/BT Smart Hubs?

[link to this post]

Okay, so I was using a Netgear router (an old one) up until very late 2017, when I got an ASUS "DSL-N14U B1" - my UPnP & DLNA worked flawlessly 99.9% of the time on both the aforementioned routers (I serve media to my Roku/laptops (VLC) and tablets using DLNA, notably "minidlna" on my Raspberry Pi 3)... and then I got the EE "Smart Hub", and my DLNA library has all but VANISHED, 99.9% of the time from VLC media player on my laptops, and quite a lot on my Roku.

Without going down rabbit holes of diagnosing my Raspberry Pi (please don't lets waste time, it ain't that - I've done very VERY in depth testing, config changes, opened firewall on SH, closed it again.. it WORKED before the SH arrived) - is UPnP / DLNA known to be borked on the BT/EE Smart Hubs? I even DISABLED the two UPnP options on the SH, and forwarded ports 1900 and 8200, manually, to the Pi - no dice.

[UPDATE]:

I've left the above in place, to show my progress since the initial OP time.

I seem to have fixed it. Weirdly (I don't know much about DHCP ranges or why this would be), the DHCP range of the Smart Hub, by default (factory settings) started at .64 and not .1 - I am sure someone far more knowledgeable can explain why, suffice it to say that - now I've extended my range to: .1 to .253 - my DLNA server has "magically" appeared again (it's static IP is .1.33, so this appears to make sense to me.)

Here's a graphic of what I've done:

https://flic.kr/p/GPAWBx

Thanks.

Edited by glossywhite (Tue 24-Apr-18 04:05:40)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Apr-18 04:08:56
Print Post

Re: UPnP / DLNA very, VERY flaky on EE/BT Smart Hubs?

[re: glossywhite] [link to this post]

Go back to the Brightbox2. You might not like the h/ware but the logic & functionality are far superior.

I think I'm running a DLNA beween a PC, an Internet Radio & a Smart TV OK. I'll have to read up on it. Too lare now frown.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(committed) Tue 24-Apr-18 04:10:56
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Go back to the Brightbox2. You might not like the h/ware but the logic & functionality are far superior.

I think I'm running a DLNA beween a PC, an Internet Radio & a Smart TV OK. I'll have to read up on it. Too lare now frown.

Do you think? ... hmmmm... I have a coupl'a those hanging around like teenagers outside an off-licence...

EE are sending me a prepaid MasterCard (£100) and have already credited us £72 to get WiFi extenders... so maybe I'll use that cash to invest in a "proper router" like an Asus, etc - I like my ADSL2 one (which is currently sitting at .1.1 with its DHCP turned off, diff channel - same SSID - used as a range extender, being fed from an ethernet feed over "PowerLine" adapter.)

I like a good fiddle with the settings - until it goes pear shaped... but then I get to fix my mistakes, and learn! laugh

Edited by glossywhite (Tue 24-Apr-18 04:16:42)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jdigz7
(member) Tue 24-Apr-18 05:02:22
Print Post

Currently using a EdgeRouter for 2 FTTC connections with additional load balancing about maybe 50 Devices in total no issues.

Wireless coverage provided over the rest of the house from XR500 (Virgn Media connection) and a AP for the extension.

WiiFi only really used for Phones and TV. Cat6 runs to most rooms till a few to do.

Old BT Smart hub we used at previous place used to respond slowly when there was too many wifi devices and needed the odd restart.
(committed) Tue 24-Apr-18 05:31:20
Print Post

[re: jdigz7] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jdigz7:
Currently using a EdgeRouter for 2 FTTC connections with additional load balancing about maybe 50 Devices in total no issues.

Wireless coverage provided over the rest of the house from XR500 (Virgn Media connection) and a AP for the extension.

WiiFi only really used for Phones and TV. Cat6 runs to most rooms till a few to do.

Old BT Smart hub
we used at previous place used to respond slowly when there was too many wifi devices and needed the odd restart.

Do you mean this device? ---> https://cdn.pocket-lint.com/r/s/1200x/assets/images/...

... because I notice you say "old" - the Smart Hub (Home Hub 6.0X) isn't all that old, that's why I am asking. It matters, since any BT Hub BEFORE that model is not a "Smart Hub", but just some older numbered variant of the BT Hub range.

From Wikipedia:

As of September 2017 the following versions of the BT Home/Smart Hub had been released:

Version 0.5: grey (no Hub Phone was available, not technically a Home Hub but rather BT Fusion Hub)
Version 1.0: white (matching Hub Phone was available)
Version 1.5: white or black (matching Hub Phone was available)
Version 2.0: black (matching black Hub Phone was available)
Version 3.0: black (Hub Phones and DECT phones are not compatible) released on 29 January 2011.
Version 4.0: black (Hub Phones and DECT phones are not compatible) released on 10 May 2013.
Version 5.0: black, released in mid-October 2013
Smart Hub, sometimes referred to as Home Hub 6, mid-2016

Thanks. smile

Edited by glossywhite (Tue 24-Apr-18 05:33:23)

Standard User jdigz7
(member) Tue 24-Apr-18 05:57:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by glossywhite:

Old BT Smart hub
we used at previous place used to respond slowly when there was too many wifi devices and needed the odd restart.

Do you mean this device? ---> https://cdn.pocket-lint.com/r/s/1200x/assets/images/...

... because I notice you say "old" - the Smart Hub (Home Hub 6.0X) isn't all that old, that's why I am asking. It matters, since any BT Hub BEFORE that model is not a "Smart Hub", but just some older numbered variant of the BT Hub range.

From Wikipedia:

As of September 2017 the following versions of the BT Home/Smart Hub had been released:

Version 0.5: grey (no Hub Phone was available, not technically a Home Hub but rather BT Fusion Hub)
Version 3.0: black (Hub Phones and DECT phones are not compatible) released on 29 January 2011.
Version 4.0: black (Hub Phones and DECT phones are not compatible) released on 10 May 2013.

Thanks. smile

If I Meant Home hub I would have said Home hub. It is indeed a Smart Hub acquired in 2016 when it was launched therefore it is now old.

I'm glad that we could clear that up.
(committed) Tue 24-Apr-18 06:15:20
Print Post

[re: jdigz7] [link to this post]

Old BT Smart hub

From Wikipedia:

Thanks. smile

If I Meant Home hub I would have said Home hub. It is indeed a Smart Hub acquired in 2016 when it was launched therefore it is now old.

The only thing worse than listening to someone with a rotten attitude. is BEING a person with one; thankfully I can walk away from you, whereas you're lumbered with the weight of your own bitterness. It's okay, I am not offended or upset with you - I know you're probably having a bad day... or maybe week or month... maybe a bad decade? Who knows. All I can tell you is that you'll make NO friends like that, I am sorry you're so angry and snappy - we've all had problems in life.
PS: It was a simple question - that's all - doesn't matter to me what router you have. If you can't be civil, I am politely asking you to be wise and keep away from my threads, since you seem to dislike our interactions - it'd make it much easier for you smile

God loves us all, be blessed.

Edited by glossywhite (Tue 24-Apr-18 06:16:11)

Standard User jdigz7
(member) Tue 24-Apr-18 06:49:04
Print Post

... nested quotes trimmed ...

From Wikipedia:

Thanks. smile

The only thing worse than listening to someone with a rotten attitude. is BEING a person with one; thankfully I can walk away from you, whereas you're lumbered with the weight of your own bitterness. It's okay, I am not offended or upset with you - I know you're probably having a bad day... or maybe week or month... maybe a bad decade? Who knows. All I can tell you is that you'll make NO friends like that, I am sorry you're so angry and snappy - we've all had problems in life.
PS: It was a simple question - that's all - doesn't matter to me what router you have. If you can't be civil, I am politely asking you to be wise and keep away from my threads, since you seem to dislike our interactions - it'd make it much easier for you smile

God loves us all, be blessed.

Not Angry or snappy just reiterated what I said.

It seems we have a new telfordcable.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 24-Apr-18 20:54:02
Print Post

Is USB flaky on EE Smart Hubs?

Have you found if a USB flash drive, say, is usable/viewable from an EE SH?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(committed) Tue 24-Apr-18 22:57:25
Print Post

Re: Is USB flaky on EE Smart Hubs?

Have you found if a USB flash drive, say, is usable/viewable from an EE SH?

Hi Ray smile

I'll get to that in time. I'm not sure of these things yet, since I use multiple Raspberry Pi 3 units using "minidlna" servers. I also use a VERY VERY useful package, on the pi, named "Pi-Hole" which blocks ALL ads on my Roku & PCs, from ITV, CH4, CH5, YouTube, etc etc. Have you head of/used that? You just install, configure, plug the Pi IP address as the DNS server IPs for your router and/or clients, and BOOM!

Update:

Okay, I've plugged a flash drive in and I am about to test it. You may find it interesting to note that the EE SH is a 6.0B device, which is how it reports itself to Windows "Network", under the info page in Windows Explorer, on the properties panel.

Also, the USB socket on these is USB 2.0 ... here's a photo gallery of my ongoing hardware investigations, with a photo of the inside of the socket, to remove all doubt, which I took a few minutes ago:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmaBrsyj

Update #2: Yes, Ray, the USB file sharing over Samba is up.and running, and accessible via the local network (screenshots in the above Flickr folder.)

smile Glad to help.

Edited by glossywhite (Tue 24-Apr-18 23:31:00)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Apr-18 01:31:37
Print Post

Re: Is USB flaky on EE Smart Hubs?

It's OK. The USB in my EE SH now appears under Win Explorer Networks. It hadn't before. Didn't do anything special. Only funny is that the router is called a PC named "BRIGHTBOX2". Some residual memory?

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Apr-18 01:54:40
Print Post

The default DHCP range of routers usually leaves a gap at the bottom end to accomodate devices with a self-fixed IPs, just such as your DLNA server. In fact, it should have worked as it was. That's what it's there for.
now I've extended my range to: .1 to .253
I should start the range at at least .2; the router itself is .1. Otherwise you could get IP clashes.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Wed 25-Apr-18 01:57:41)

(committed) Wed 25-Apr-18 03:39:34
Print Post

The default DHCP range of routers usually leaves a gap at the bottom end to accomodate devices with a self-fixed IPs, just such as your DLNA server. In fact, it should have worked as it was. That's what it's there for.
now I've extended my range to: .1 to .253
I should start the range at at least .2; the router itself is .1. Otherwise you could get IP clashes.

Ah, thank you. Actually the SH is .254, same as the old BT Hubs; I do not know why...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to