Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NaNook
(freechataholic) Tue 20-Oct-09 09:29:52
Print Post

PS3 Slim Questions

[link to this post]

I am thinking of purchasing a PS3 slim and have a couple of questions:

Backward Compatability - I understand from Sony literature that the PS3 Slim cannot play PS2 games - As I have never owned a PS2 and thus do not have a stock of games, is this really a problem? Can I assume that any PS2 game out there would have a PS3 version?

External Hard Drive - I was thinking of going for the 250GB version but, if I can connect an external USB hard drive (or even map to a network drive) then I could really o for the smaller sizes. So, Can I connect an external USB hard drive to the PS3 slim or map to other network drives?

Are there any other downsides to the Slim version that I may not be aware of? I am aware you cannot install a different OS on it but that does not bother me in the least.

Any help much appreciated.
Standard User time2die
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Oct-09 12:52:59
Print Post

Re: PS3 Slim Questions

[re: NaNook] [link to this post]

I upgraded my Playstation 3 to a Playstaion slim on release,only difference for me is that they have done away with the multi media card reader,there are only 2 usb ports and not the 4 like the old one.

On the plus side its less power hungry ,has a updated cell processer and graphics chip and i have a 120 gig harddrive which like you say can now be purchased with 250 gig.

Its a sexy bit of kit and i much prefer it to the older model,but saying that it does exactly the same as the previous version.

As for playstation 2 games well thats something i dont care for anyway,my personal point and reason being why buy a next so called generation playstation 3 console to play last generation games.

Apart from ico,shadow of colossus and the god of war titles i see very little point

Also playstation 2 games are not all available as playstation 3 games,there are games coming to the play3 that first appeared on the older play 2 but these are new titles.

As for eternal harddrive device then its something i dont use so i would not know the answer.If you got a 250 gig version then i dont see much of a reason to be honest.

Edited by time2die (Tue 20-Oct-09 12:58:08)

Standard User FireFalcon
(member) Tue 20-Oct-09 17:28:53
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Backwards compatibility hasn't been around for ages in PS3's, if you TRULY wanted it you would have to hunt out an old style 60GB which specifically states its backwards compatible. Be prepared to pay a high premium for one though.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jack_Hackett
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Oct-09 19:31:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by NaNook:
Backward Compatability - I understand from Sony literature that the PS3 Slim cannot play PS2 games - As I have never owned a PS2 and thus do not have a stock of games, is this really a problem? Can I assume that any PS2 game out there would have a PS3 version?

There has been a lot of talk about Sony putting most of the popular PS games on PSN in the official PS3 forums, if this is true and the games are priced fairly it will be great.

Edited by Jack_Hackett (Tue 20-Oct-09 19:32:49)

Standard User NaNook
(freechataholic) Tue 20-Oct-09 19:54:04
Print Post

Thanks very much for the comprehensive reply.

PS3 slim it is.

One final question.

The main use it will have is for feeding media to my Plasma.

Does the media software allow you to alter the aspect ratio?
Standard User time2die
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Oct-09 21:54:20
Print Post

http://www.hometheatermag.com/discplayers/508sonyps3...

http://reviews.cnet.com/consoles/sony-playstation-3-...

Could find a little information that may or may not be what you are looking for.

Sorry i only really use mine for gaming and care not what media it can do apart from me streaming some mp3 and pictures from my pc.

Edited by time2die (Tue 20-Oct-09 21:57:42)

Standard User NaNook
(freechataholic) Tue 20-Oct-09 23:22:40
Print Post

Thanks very much for the info smile
Standard User Lt_Swan
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-Oct-09 10:37:43
Print Post

[re: FireFalcon] [link to this post]

I have an old 60GB fitted with a 320GB HD smile

=TLP=Swanny
Standard User NaNook
(freechataholic) Thu 22-Oct-09 10:18:48
Print Post

[re: Jack_Hackett] [link to this post]

Two games I really enjoyed were TrackMania Sunrise and Supreme Snowboarding boith on the PC.

No idea whether they ever made it to the console.

Would also be great to get some old Atari games too but I doubt they have been ported.
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Oct-09 15:15:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by NaNook:
Thanks very much for the comprehensive reply.

PS3 slim it is.

One final question.

The main use it will have is for feeding media to my Plasma.

Does the media software allow you to alter the aspect ratio?

Not sure what you mean by media software but you can set it to display 720p, 1080i and 1080p if you connect it via HDMI. Mine is on a 50" Plasma and never had a problem with it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to