Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Mar-11 11:12:09
Print Post

Re: Homeplugs

[re: Lt_Swan] [link to this post]

To me i only use THESE then depending on what consoles you have downstairs it might be wise to get one of THESE

Best £70 i ever spent and my downloads speeds are fantastic and far better than the wireless conection.
Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Mar-11 11:22:54
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Thanks for the links smile
My router is upstairs with my PC and downstairs is my PS3 and a Laptop
I'm guessing I need 3 home plugs?? PS3 and laptop are at different ends of the room.
I'm with virgin

=TLP=Swanny
Standard User ilh
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Mar-11 11:31:58
Print Post

Re: Homefront

I guess so but there has to be the really low scale for the occasional really utterly terrible score. I wonder if there is anywhere you can see game ratings for a particular year in a nice graph.

~ilh

The sooner you get behind, the longer you have to catch up.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Mar-11 11:35:59
Print Post

My router is upstairs in the office also which is a netgear as for some unknown reason i like Netgear stuff.

I have a Homeplug in the office upstairs and this conects to the router through Ethernet connection [comes with Homeplug] I then have the other Homeplug downstairs in main plug socket behind television.

I then have this linked into the Ethernet switch which allows you to then add up to 4 other things using just the 2 homeplugs.

You could use just the 2 and keep disconnecting the playstation 3 and talking the Homeplug over to where your laptop is if you dont mind doing this ?

I have the xbox 360 and the Playstation 3 linked through ethernet cables into the Ethernet switch with the option of adding anything else such as a laptop if required.

If your happy with connecting your laptop by your playstation then all is fine and dandy,if not your going to need 4 Homeplugs.

Please remember that Homeplugs need to go direct into the electricity supply for them to work correctly [So you need Plug sockets] they do not work through extension cables and are not recommended .

Tell you Swanny for getting a Adsl connection to anywhere in the house they are brilliant.

Edited by time2die (Fri 18-Mar-11 11:41:02)

Standard User Gzero
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Mar-11 15:12:57
Print Post

Best way is to use the homeplugs is to bridge the gap then distribute with a router.

Ie internet -> modem+router -> homeplug -> gap -> homeplug -> secondary router (no functions at all turned on) -> Pc's/devices via ethernet or wireless.

Remember that adding more homeplugs does reduce the share of available bandwidth so it's better to choke it all down one pipe to get the maximum (speed - quoting Crysis sound here tongue) bandwidth.
Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Mar-11 17:17:04
Print Post

Thanks T2D and Gzero smile

I have a problem.
I have two ring mains, one is the upstairs and strangely the socket halfway along my living room that the laptop is plugged into, but the socket the PS3 is plugged into is on the other ring main.

I suppose I could get a couple of long Ethernet cables for the PS and laptop and just switch them over when I need to....
So this could be the best way as I would only need two homeplugs smile
These are cheap will they do??

Gzero I don't understand what you mean by the gap???

=TLP=Swanny

Edited by Lt_Swan (Fri 18-Mar-11 17:18:23)

Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Mar-11 17:19:49
Print Post

Re: Homefront

[re: ilh] [link to this post]

They could just say "Scores below 1 so don't bother" laugh

=TLP=Swanny
Standard User Gzero
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Mar-11 17:23:16
Print Post

No don't buy those!
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/netgear-200mbps-powe...

200mbps for only £50 unless you live in NI.

The gap would be the difference in floors, or the next room or whatever, in other words, the area that your modem+router can't reach normally.
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Mar-11 18:09:26
Print Post

Personally i would stick with netgear and the ones Gzero pointed out,at the end of the day they will pay for themselves in no time and once you use these there is no going back to wireless.

Edited by time2die (Fri 18-Mar-11 18:11:17)

Standard User FireFalcon
(experienced) Fri 18-Mar-11 18:21:35
Print Post

Saw these in the ebuyer news letter, http://www.ebuyer.com/product/148647 with promo code power1

takes them to 49.99 can't comment on reliability or how they are etc, just saw em going cheap.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to