Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 19-Mar-11 18:10:09
Print Post

Re: Homeplugs

[re: Gzero] [link to this post]

Urm why confuse things with a secondary router (even with functions turned off), just buy a simple ethernet switch cheaper, less power and nothing to setup.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Mar-11 18:14:57
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by SPOOKish:
In reply to a post by Lt_Swan:
Thanks smile but I'm also trying to get rid of Wi-Fi from the house

No problem. Might I ask why you don't want WiFi at all? I know it's ropey at best hence the homeplug/wifi solution seemed like a possible cure whilst retaining ease of use.

Apart from the speed boost I'm also trying to get away from the radiation side of things.
I know it's a tiny amount but it all adds up

=TLP=Swanny
Standard User Gzero
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-Mar-11 20:51:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Wasn't referring to explicitly a router, like you say, switch is better, however, was just making it clear that *anything* router ish (in case he had a spare floating around). laugh

Ok maybe not floating, they don't do that in my house.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Gzero
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 20-Mar-11 20:53:23
Print Post

[re: Lt_Swan] [link to this post]

Would love to see that go down well with the neighbours and every Mobile operator in your area. Oh and any military or police forces using that spectrum. laugh
Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Sun 20-Mar-11 23:01:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by Gzero:
Ok maybe not floating, they don't do that in my house.

Does flying through the air and hitting the ground, hard, count? I've dropped my router more times than I should (well, tripped on the damn ethernet cable). All the more reason to go wireless if you're like me. grin
Standard User Gzero
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Mar-11 08:49:11
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

I'm usually neat and tidy, so most of my cables are out of the way.

I don't like wireless, 11 channels and only space for 3 networks when your neighbours are convinced to get wireless n, causing all sorts of funky black spots and dropouts. Not nice when your playing a game dependent on stable ping.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Mar-11 11:15:56
Print Post

Wireless great for browsing and some video stuff but no good for gaming as latency tends to wander around.

Ethernet cable is always the way to go, but homeplugs are a good fall back.

In places like the US suburbs the spread out nature of homes mean wifi congestion is less of an issue, in terraces and small uk streets you can pick far too many networks.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to