Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User lt567
(member) Sat 15-Jan-11 00:05:20
Print Post

Xbox 360 S Hard Drive

[link to this post]

Hi folks,

I got an Xbox 360 S for my birthday, the 4GB one. I'm just wondering if theres anywhere you can buy hard drives for it that will improve the capacity? I saw a 20GB one on Ebay but it's from Hong Kong so not too sure on that. Cheers.

Jack
Standard User FireFalcon
(experienced) Sat 15-Jan-11 01:04:13
Print Post

Re: Xbox 360 S Hard Drive

[re: lt567] [link to this post]

You have many choices.

First up, if you want to get technical, you can buy a set type of western digital scorpio 2.5" drive (list of models available via googling), will set you back around 30-40ish (for a 250gb drive max allowed), you will have to hook it up to your PC and run a software tool to sort it out, after that you can use it.

Second option is if you have a previous 360 harddrive or want to buy a previous one (as theyre cheaper) you basically take the casing off it with some torx screw drivers and slot it, you can use any of the old model harddrives, 20/60/120/250 (guides available on youtube)

A note with these first two options, you can buy a casing unit for slim drives from dealextreme:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.48653 (there is another one for a tiny bit cheaper but the plastic is better on this one, they also have different coloured casing if that floats your boat). This will make it much easier to slot in and out and will pretty much make it just like the official thing.

Your third option is to buy a genuine microsoft 250gb slim drive (looking at around £65-70+)

Your fourth option is to use a USB flashdrive up to 16gb (you can use 2 usb drives for a total of 32gb), the 360 will format it and set it up.

When shopping for drives (unofficial ones in 360 casing) you will find there are plenty about, they will pretty much just be like in the first option except presetup, some people don't trust them, personally i'm split on whether you should trust them, after all they should be western digital drives as only WD drives are compatible with the 360. Any drive that isnt 250gb and is listed for the slim 360 won't be official.

Fair bit of choice there you can use http://www.hotukdeals.com/ to track prices over drives and such

Edited by FireFalcon (Sat 15-Jan-11 01:05:16)

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Jan-11 01:44:56
Print Post

[re: FireFalcon] [link to this post]

As ever a very informal post from our main man Falcon smile

If this dont help then nothing will....................

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lt567
(member) Sat 15-Jan-11 13:24:57
Print Post

Thanks for the post Fire, was very helpful! I found a 20GB one but some ebay listings say it won't fit the 360 slim so it's quite confusing and then others don't say that. Which types fit the slim version?

Edited by lt567 (Sat 15-Jan-11 13:32:52)

Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Jan-11 15:25:31
Print Post

[re: lt567] [link to this post]

would the fitting of a hard drive effect warranty, I`m assuming its an internal job?

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User FireFalcon
(experienced) Sat 15-Jan-11 19:43:23
Print Post

[re: MrGrumpy] [link to this post]

No, harddrives are classed as their own thing, they just slot in and out, microsoft have no clue really how you put it in.

lt567, if you click the dealextreme link you will see the type of casing slim 360's need, if its more a caddy unit than an actual slot on unit like the old 360's, either way inside both of them is a standard western digital laptop harddrive.

Personally i'd recommend getting around a 60gb harddrive too.

Edited by FireFalcon (Sat 15-Jan-11 19:54:05)

Standard User lt567
(member) Sun 16-Jan-11 21:17:55
Print Post

Hi Falcon,

I have ordered one now, thanks a lot for the help.

Jack
  Print Thread

Jump to