Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Jaxx281
(member) Tue 18-Jan-11 15:26:39
Print Post

DC Universe

[link to this post]

So what's the general opinion of this? Many of you played it? Tempted to get it, but want to here it from others first....

Also saw another MMO called RIFT advertised last night, the advert made me laugh, it ended with "You're not in Azeroth now" WoW players will chuckle at that wink

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Jan-11 17:14:49
Print Post

Re: DC Universe

[re: Jaxx281] [link to this post]

Don't actually think there are many on these forums Jaxx that have got the game especially since its a monthly subscription to play it.

I am quite sure if it was that good we would be hearing about it from the few on here that own it.
Standard User jonathanHodd
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Jan-11 08:33:41
Print Post

i know 2 or 3 guys who are playing it atm, they're reserving judgement at this point in time as it's early doors but nothing too horrendous to report so far

i gather there's a lifetime sub up for grabs too

-------------------------------------------------------
flickr
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User darthchicken
(newbie) Wed 19-Jan-11 10:25:58
Print Post

I have been playing it over the weekend and I'm now level 13

Have done two solo instances so far, where I came up against the scarecrow and bane. The bane fight was quite tough, but after a few attempts I got him. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! laugh. This may have been because I picked gadgets (which is a control power). Fire or ice (defence powers) will probably have an easier time. Theres also magic and nature which are healing powers. I forget what the other powers are - I'm sure I've missed one or two.

Overall the combat is quite over the top and I have been doing some ridiculous moves with a staff weapon, including roundhouse kicks! I think I have probably done more roundhouse kicks in one hour of play than chuck norris does in a day. There are tons of other combat styles like melee, one handed maces, guns, dual wield swords etc...

Travel powers are the standard flight, super speed (running up tall buildings is quite fun smile ) and acrobatics

Achievement points in this game do matter, for every 100 points you get another skill point - currently most achievements give around 10 points or a little more. So shouldn't be too long before you hit 100 points really.

End game content consists of Duo's (where 2 players run around in instances and roundhouse kick stuff in the face), 4-8 player raids and PVP - both in a battleground capture the point style and of course theres open world PVP if you play on a PVP server. I wussed out and went on a PVE server (no fear of ganking there wink )

So far I'm having a lot of fun roundhouse kicking stuff in the face and just exploring the world and picking up missions as I go along - these either come through your communicator as you complete previous quests and also just from doods standing around in the game world.

Game client stability is pretty good, its only crashed once - although itunes was running in the background at the time and also crashed, so hrm. It's all built on the unreal 3 engine so shouldn't have that many problems really.

I'm playing this on the PC with a 360 joypad. It is a nice change to play an mmo with a pad. It does make things more fluid but it can also give you rsi trying to pull off combo moves lol. Not that I have much of a clue what I am doing either. Although at least the quest text is voice acted so I dont have the excuse of not reading the quest text .

They plan to have monthly content updates - will see if that becomes reality or not.

There is one niggle - when you complete quests, you have to do one of two things:

1. Open up your journal, press complete - and then communicator fires up with next quest (this is fine)

2. It tells you go to back and speak to the quest giver and you do so. Then nothing happens. Until you realise you have to open up your journal and then press complete for the quest in the journal?! WHY DOES IT MAKE ME DO THIS?!

To balance out the bad, if two or more people are hammering away at a quest objective - then all players get credit (as it should be) laugh. WoW started to do this with some of the mobs thank god - as that annoys me when its just a race to see who hits the quest mob first. Thankfully my paladin has an AOE attack so I usually manage to grab the mob first wink (although the 30 second cooldown in cataclysm has kinda slowed things down a bit).

Have another few weeks to make up my mind if I will continue playing it, but based on what I have seen so far, it's pretty damn good fun. So let's hope it stays fun as I progress through the game roundhouse kicking stuff in the face laugh.

As for rift I have watched playthroughs of it on youtube. Apart from the storyline it is just WoW? I mean the whole interface is kinda similar, but then WoW's interface is so generic you could probably say it looks like all the mmo's on the market. Oh forgot about the rift mechanic in RIFT, where nasty stuff can spawn anywhere, even over NPC towns, totally take the town over and then prevent you from handing in quests until the town is cleared. That may become annoying when the main player base has moved onto the higher level zones - leaving the odd occasional noob to try to clear the town themselves. It's the kind of game that needs at least the majority of people to rotate through alts or a constant stream of new players for that mechanic to work properly (IMO).

Edited by darthchicken (Wed 19-Jan-11 10:35:31)

Standard User FireFalcon
(experienced) Wed 19-Jan-11 18:08:07
Print Post

[re: darthchicken] [link to this post]

Could have been worse, you could be playing FF14 wink
(newbie) Wed 19-Jan-11 18:36:42
Print Post

[re: FireFalcon] [link to this post]

10 minutes of FF13 was enough, thanks smile

Edited by darthchicken (Wed 19-Jan-11 18:36:55)

Standard User FireFalcon
(experienced) Wed 19-Jan-11 23:25:21
Print Post

WHAT, you survived 10mins? I thought people comatosed after 5 blush

wink
Standard User Jaxx281
(member) Thu 20-Jan-11 10:19:34
Print Post

Thanks for the very comprehensive review! Sounds good, think I will definitely download the trial then and give it a go smile what is the level cap on it do you know? Are there a lot of people online? Only problem I have now is whether it will run on the laptop......PC has been fried for a couple of years now lol!

(newbie) Thu 20-Jan-11 11:49:13
Print Post

Level cap is 30. So probably wont take that long to reach it. There is a lot of content in the game to keep people going for a while. Plus you can always roll another character on the villain side if you started as a hero or vice versa. As for minimum specs I dunno, my 3GHz Quad core cpu and 1GB Nvidia 460 graphics card doesnt even break a sweat running it lol.

Just checking the back of the box and it says P4 3GHz CPU and Nvidia 7800+ or ATI 1950+ and 1GB of RAM are the minimum specs.

There are loads of people online, currently there are 4 EU Servers, (2 PVE and 2 PVP) and in the evenings there is a queue to login. SOE are adding more servers, but as with any SOE game you can change to playing on US servers if you like (I think there's 16 US Servers) by selecting an option in the game launcher smile.
  Print Thread

Jump to