Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Jan-11 17:53:47
Print Post

Killzone 3 Open Beta starts Feb 3rd

[link to this post]

After just posting about a Exclusive demo of Crysis 2 for 360 owners comencing next Tuesday [Same day as Bulletstorm demo by the way] Playstation 3 owners now have something to smile about..............Thats if you like FPS and like Killzone as some people just dont get it...............

Played the Alpha code and that was awesome..........

http://www.everythingforgamers.com/news/986/killzone...

Edited by time2die (Fri 21-Jan-11 17:56:10)

Standard User FireFalcon
(experienced) Sat 22-Jan-11 19:17:44
Print Post

Re: Killzone 3 Open Beta starts Feb 3rd

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

http://www.destructoid.com/dear-sony-you-can-t-beta-...

I thought it was a bit weird they'd put an alpha up on PSN as an alpha has the potential to wreck your system (system being used in general be it PC/Mac/360/PS3), seems like sony PR is up to its usual magic.
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Jan-11 01:08:33
Print Post

[re: FireFalcon] [link to this post]

When i downloaded the beta some 10 weeks ago or something [Present from Sony for been a Playstation plus subscriber.....Big deal] when you play it on screen it says Alpha code.

Now like your link suggests how can it be an open Beta when the game has already gone gold,so it just looks like 1 map and a multiplayer demo...........Makes no odds either way as you still get the chance to test out Killzone 3.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User e102gamma
(committed) Sun 23-Jan-11 01:22:08
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Seems it's the new trend to label demos as beta tests etc. I don't really get the point but hey, can't complain too much about free stuff.

Edited by e102gamma (Sun 23-Jan-11 01:23:26)

Standard User FireFalcon
(experienced) Sun 23-Jan-11 04:50:21
Print Post

[re: e102gamma] [link to this post]

I think its because beta implies 3 things

1)its a preview a head of retail - retail could be months off and demos generally appear a month/few weeks before release
2)its semi exclusive -
3)its time limited so its best to act now, adds a sense of urgency to getting to play it

I would also take a guess that it adds the feeling for some that it makes it look like the devs are (well, could be) caring about what is said about the game so that it could get fixed before gold.

Personally coming from the land of PC's where games (and software) regularly ship with the moniker of beta or alpha and DO have broken functionality/incompleteness for people to leave comments on or report on I find it annoying that this fad in the console world carries over when people inevitably come to look for PC software and see beta or alpha and expect it to be pretty much all working as it is delivered on consoles. As a result of stuff not being how they expected it to be they then persist in slamming/spamming the dev forums whining about it. Granted PC games are often guilty of this (MMO's in particular) saying "open beta weekend" when it really means "stress test", as a result you again get forums of moaning saying OMG LAG.

Saying all that it sometimes works the other way for people who aren't that interested and think "beta - i'll leave that till its finished", this is why i pasted the news article in the other reply which pretty much says its a demo, not a beta, beta time is over. So for those interested in playing the final thing now go ahead, ignore the stupid PR stunt.
  Print Thread

Jump to