Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Gzero
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Feb-11 15:47:55
Print Post

BF1943 and BC2 Onslaught Cancelled (PC)

[link to this post]

There comes a time when we as a studio have to choose where to best put our efforts. At DICE we’re dedicated to taking care of our products after launch, and also hell bent on building new, innovative and high quality games.

In my day to day work, I look at our release schedule and the studio’s capacity, weighing them against our wild ambitions to create awesomeness. I often need to make hard calls regarding where we put the studio’s focus. Part of the challenge is to balance work on the new against the already shipped, prioritizing the amount of energy spent on the known franchises and the time spent on developing something entirely new.

This is one of those cross roads where I need to make a hard decision. While we’ll continue supporting Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and previous games, it’s time to look ahead to the next giant leap for DICE – the release of Battlefield 3, powered by the mighty Frostbite 2 engine. Our goal is crystal clear: we’re going to build the best Battlefield game ever, and we’ll do whatever it takes to make this the biggest launch in DICE’s history.

We know some of you eagerly have been awaiting Battlefield 1943 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Onslaught on PC. I’m sad to say that these two titles are now officially cancelled. Instead, our talented teams will focus on delivering the greatest possible gaming experience in our next behemoth release. We’re confident this will lead to an even better experience in Battlefield 3, not only on PC, but on all platforms.

For an idea of what that means, watch this space for some exciting news I think you’ll like.

Best regards,
Karl Magnus Troedsson
General Manager, DICE

PC GAMING IS DYING!!!!OMGDAIRYQUEEN!!!BBTHEQ!1!
tongue
Standard User FireFalcon
(experienced) Fri 04-Feb-11 17:51:46
Print Post

Re: BF1943 and BC2 Onslaught Cancelled (PC)

[re: Gzero] [link to this post]

OHNOES WHATEVER SHALL WE DO!!!!!!!!!!!! wink

On a more serious note i'd have been surprised if it actually shown up.
Standard User ilh
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Feb-11 10:59:22
Print Post

[re: FireFalcon] [link to this post]

To be honest I thought they never had inteneded to give PC users onslaught so that isn't a loss to me. Kind of a shame about 1943 but I was expecting that a year ago so thought that had been knocked on the head. So not much has changed in my eyes smile

~ilh

The sooner you get behind, the longer you have to catch up.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User FireFalcon
(experienced) Tue 08-Feb-11 19:26:12
Print Post

[re: ilh] [link to this post]

I can kinda understand the reasoning for onslaught not appearing, it meant 4 people would clog a whole 32 man sever.
Standard User Gzero
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Feb-11 19:49:27
Print Post

As opposed to a laggy 32 man server tongue

Remember we already have squad DM can be only 8 man, and surely you just half that and you have onslaught.

Pft, the mess of BC2 (which in itself when it works is a good game) has put me off BF3, might just reinstall BF2 or 1942 and play that online just to 1up EA and Dice. *shakes fist*
Standard User ccxo
(learned) Tue 08-Feb-11 20:10:51
Print Post

BC2 is not bad for what it is, a console game half done for the pc.1943 and onsalught being cancelled is not that bad, 1943 was never really coming out as progress and news was limited.
Onslaught is really too small for BC2 PC as we already have the teamwork, the lighting effects would be nice but considering how long it is till BF3 comes and 64 players its worth the loss.

BF3 will have the PC as the lead game so dont loose faith in DICE and EA yet.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User FireFalcon
(experienced) Tue 08-Feb-11 21:43:23
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Looking at the details coming through:

* Prone and spotting are in
* Dolphin diving is out
* PC version can handle 64-player matches; consoles are restricted to 24 players
* The bullet drop system is being revamped
* No more tracer darts

Woooooooooooow 24 on a console 64 on pc, yeeeeeeeah ill be def getting the pc one, bf3 on a console will be a shadow of the pc version.
Standard User Gzero
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Feb-11 23:44:03
Print Post

And no sign of an SDK or Map editor, woot Vietnam died a gorey death with it's epic 5 maps.

*sigh* not touching BF3 till a map editor is announced otherwise they have killed it before it ships to be honest. Lack of new maps makes BC2 and it's addon boring. frown

Edited by Gzero (Tue 08-Feb-11 23:44:18)

Standard User FireFalcon
(experienced) Wed 09-Feb-11 01:07:19
Print Post

TBH they need a map editor out there. If they don't do one now they will never get to do one, yes it requires development time but name something that didnt? stupid DICE.

Theyre probably limiting themselves too because by making all this backend guff so complicated they can't license it out which means they can't be earning some pennies off it.
Standard User ilh
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 09-Feb-11 09:16:09
Print Post

Were you expecting many more maps? BF3 isn't out until Sept/Oct I guess (if it doesn't slip) so we might get another 1 or 2 maps but given that they can't convert the SP maps like they could in BC2 even that might be asking a bit much.

It is a £10 add-on and for it you got new weapons, maps and vehicles. If you look at things like the add-ons for mw2 which were about £10 as well you got 5 maps (2 re-hashes of CoD4 maps) for your money. I know which I think is better value for money smile

~ilh

The sooner you get behind, the longer you have to catch up.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to