Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Mar-11 15:47:56
Print Post

Edge Scores Homefront 5/10

[link to this post]

I used to think Edge magazine was the bible for information about games and i still think its quite a useful pinpoint on game reviews to some extent.

It has lost a lot of credibility with many gamers around the different gaming forums and most will agree it tends to favour the xbox 360 market over Playstation games for some unknown reason.

You can always count on Edge going against the norm,while 95% of gaming websites and gaming magazines will give a game a great score then edge will throw that spanner in the works and get people like me a little worried as to what i pre/ordered.

Since i was worried in the first place it does not help that Edge has given the game Homefront a messily 5/10.

What gets me everytime i watch a multiplayer trailer it looks brilliant crazy

Edited by time2die (Thu 10-Mar-11 16:07:23)

Standard User mrnelster
(member) Thu 10-Mar-11 16:59:28
Print Post

Re: Edge Scores Homefront 5/10

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

You're right , it does look reay good. So I'm gonna look at it like this reviewer:

We seem to be talking about the potential of COD killers and Battlefield beaters more and more these days, but maybe it's just enough to have a brand new title which turns the top two into a top three and gives us more AAA quality in war-based shooters.

Maybe we are expecting it to measure up a bit too much. To be fair most games dont look like Battlefield 3 and Killzone 3, so it can't all be about the graphics.

I think it will probably play really well. Not a landmark release, but well enough to enjoy more than BOps and MOH hopefully. smile

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.
Standard User FireFalcon
(experienced) Thu 10-Mar-11 18:00:28
Print Post

EDGE hasn't gained or lost any credibility for me, they always rate first part nintendo titles high, EA (more specifically bioware) games tend to do well in EDGE, the more solid platform exclusives do well and get fairly accurately scored yet have their flaws pointed out etc, etc, its a mix bag on how much you take them for.

I can believe their review score tbh, i'll try get a full read of it but IMO that multiplayer trailer makes me cringe more than it makes me want the game, 5hr campaign and other stuff on top doesn't seem like its going to do much better.

Then again i know you like your blackops t2d, so its understandable why, but for me it looks too much run and gun spray and pray, too loose and cheap. Given the past trend of previous THQ/Kaos releases i suspect this is going to be the same again.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Mar-11 18:15:54
Print Post

[re: FireFalcon] [link to this post]

Actually Falcon i have not played Black Ops for about 5 weeks,the games ok in small doses but give me a playable version of MW2 any day that's not hacked and ruined as it is on the Psn network.

Never totally sold on Black Ops because of the developers Treyarch in my eyes are second class compared to the once Infinity Ward.

Every game has its flaws and there was many a night i had some fun with BO especially when i started playing other game modes.

Its a game that will more than likely be traded within the next few months with Brink,Portal 2,Crysis2 and a whole host of other games that will more than likely be a lot better.

Come the next 3 months and i still have a copy of BO then i will be surprised ,there is little to no point keeping a game that i hardly ever play.

Homefront is a Gamble Falcon i think i know that,it looks fun online to me may be not you but i have seen this on many occasions and when a game gets released its pants.

When i watched the video of Black ops when they get into a helicopter and cause explosive havok everywhere it looked awesome,having bought the game i thought the experience was the complete opposite if i am totally honest.
Standard User FireFalcon
(experienced) Thu 10-Mar-11 19:15:19
Print Post

Fair enough i thought you were still playing blackops.

You are right that treyarch are 2nd rate devs, the fact they blamed PLAYERS for the game having flaws, i was going to link a video of a guy with his ps3 trying to play blackops and it says he has no net connection he tries pretty much every other main title and all except WaW works fine, then he tries black ops again he gets into a game then it drops him due to host quitting, but i can't find the vid so you will have to imagine it ;D.

But yeah, its a gamble, maybe if it was on steam on time i might be gambling on it too, but its not as THQ/UK retailers pulled a sly one and homefront isn't on any digital download site for atleast a week after proper launch, so [censored] em i say, i won't be bothering. My friend will prolly get a copy in and ill blitz it in a couple of play sessions if its only 5hrs long.

Portal 2 and brink will probably be ones to watch, im not quite sold on brink yet, need to see more of it which isn't mirrors edge meets TF2 in the land of the horse faced people.
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Mar-11 00:45:40
Print Post

The Brink game looks really good and i have to say its a game i am actually excited about at present having watched a lot of stuff regarding this game.

Black Ops or Black OOPS as i prefer to call it is a average game and not a step up from MW2 but the same stuff and same engine with a different developer that has been basically 2nd rate to Infinity Ward since day 1.

World of War was in my eyes total garbage and i traded it about a week later,but i was taken in by the media with previews ,reports,vids of the game and basically everyone in the Gaming press saying how awesome this game will be.

It came along i played it,i had a little bit of fun for a month or two and now it sits in some shadded box along with about 50 other games that i hardly ever play.

Games have to be mighty special for me to be playing them 12 months later,only MW1 and 2 Have that in there favour [flaws and all] until hackers completly ruined the online part of the game on the Playstation network.

Infinity Ward were in my opinion Great developers but there support for there games is terrible..............Only some 16 months later are they releasing a patch for the playstation 3 to combat the hackers,but sadly i have no interest in playing MW2 again.
Standard User FireFalcon
(experienced) Fri 11-Mar-11 05:34:57
Print Post

In this day and age its not the developers who get the say on patches its the publisher as the console companies charge to deploy the patches, unless something major is spotted that completely ruins the game then something puts light on the issue will it be patched, unless that happens the game will rot.

Thats just the way things are these days, very stupid and pointless.
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Mar-11 09:34:00
Print Post

How stupid it is for console companys to charge for something that may make the game on there platfrom a better gaming experience.
Standard User FireFalcon
(experienced) Fri 11-Mar-11 17:56:45
Print Post

Gotta protect the closed walls of the safari park, publishers basically pay for certification which is pretty much just sony/microsoft signing off on that the patch won't damage the console and isnt a complete waste of time and then to deploy it.
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Mar-11 20:15:15
Print Post

Never looked it that way Falcon and i thought that anything that makes a product a better game for either Sony or Microsoft would tend to not charge for the privilege.
  Print Thread

Jump to