Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Mar-11 00:16:53
Print Post

Whats going on with online Gaming....Thoughts.

[link to this post]

Lets start with the Killzone 3 fiasco,the private beta was fine [T2D was in it] then a few months later a week earlier for playstation plus subscribers the Multiplayer beta went to everyone.

Problems from day one as nobody could connect to a online game,after 2 weeks the multiplayer ended and to be quite frank its been quite a shambles the past 2 weeks with the retail copy..............Sort of works sometimes and not others.

Then we have the long awaited online multiplayer of Crysis 2 for the Playstation [smell a rat here] fact number 1 xbox 360 owners got this demo 6 weeks earlier without to many flaws.

So the playstation 3 demo hits the store 2 days ago and was today pulled by EA

Now we have Homefront which i played for a few hours Thursday eveningl,but tonight its another story as i and probably many are getting [can not connect to server issues].

Now this is 3 of the most recent release games and all have major online flaws.............[censored] happened to testing here and quality control,i know Killzone 3 and Homefront have dedicated servers and i thought in principle here it was supposed to be better suited to us gamers...................What i have seen i would rather have P2P ,even though the host generally leaves if he is loosing at least you can get a game or two.

Kaos the developers of Homefront say they are overwhelmed with people trying to get online to play the game and need time to add more servers.............Yeah Right.

I don't remember this type of rubbish in the past and there is nothing worse than starring at a online loading screen for 10 minutes at a time only for you to get a server error at the end of it...............In Killzone 3 case you had to reboot the playstation as you just starred at a static loading screen that basically froze the playstation.....................Yeah the joys of gaming [Not]

Here is EA EXCUSE

Edited by time2die (Sat 19-Mar-11 08:21:00)

Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Sat 19-Mar-11 02:38:02
Print Post

Re: Whats going on with online Gaming....Thoughts.

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Wow. And I thought this kind of thing didn't (and couldn't) happen on consoles.

shocked

Maybe PCs are not such bad things afterall?

smirk
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(learned) Sat 19-Mar-11 09:55:02
Print Post

I gave up on EA and Activision games many years ago; I've always found their servers very poor, regardless of ISP provider! To me they define all that is wrong about the industry.

For KZ3 I have no idea perhaps it falling into the cash cow bracket, profit above all, as this has been going on for sometime!

My views are my experiences.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SamsonUK
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Mar-11 12:03:23
Print Post

Control is what went wrong, along with greed in the form of DLC. You keep everything in house and you have better opportunities to monetize your product.

Put the control of servers back in public hands, release server software and allow individuals and companies to host servers if they want.

Online gaming has only got worse since the rise of the console.
Standard User mrnelster
(member) Sat 19-Mar-11 18:51:12
Print Post

[re: SamsonUK] [link to this post]

Online gaming has only got worse since the rise of the console.

Agreed. I know not everyone could afford to pay for online gaming, but the option would be nice.

I hear the xbox live network is less laggy and that hacks are jumped on quickly because it's subscription based, though I don't know how accurate that is.
Perhaps a premium subscription for the PSN service separate to the free network.

Then the serious gamers could escape the blagards and enjoy dedicated servers?

Just a thought.

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.

Edited by mrnelster (Sat 19-Mar-11 18:54:56)

Standard User nredwood
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Mar-11 19:01:47
Print Post

There have been a lot of issues for TDU2 and online as well

Be* Unlimited
Standard User mrnelster
(member) Sun 20-Mar-11 11:32:54
Print Post

Played home front yesterday morning and afternoon. Great fun.

Tried to join games last night and got into one in 20 attempts. And then got kicked out within 5 minutes.

They can only get away with this because they added a [censored] campaign mode, otherwise it would be returned tomorrow! [censored].

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Mar-11 12:38:42
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

Yesterday they were apparently adding more servers for Europe and the rest of the world.............Going to try it later tonight.
  Print Thread

Jump to