Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jorkila
(member) Sun 20-Mar-11 10:09:14
Print Post

Dead Island

[link to this post]

Anyone seen this?
Dead Island Cinematic

Thoughts please!
Standard User mrnelster
(member) Sun 20-Mar-11 11:26:39
Print Post

Re: Dead Island

[re: jorkila] [link to this post]

I love zombie games. This could be good or bad, without knowing what the game play/style is it's hard to judge.

What I will say though is that this trailer disappoints me. I understand the pegi system and I like violent video games.

But I don't see the need to portray what is essentially a child being horrifically killed! We all do our best to keep 18 games away from children, but it's hard to stop them seeing stuff accidentally let alone the fact that some parents don't give a monkeys what their children play. We know that from the COD series.

But I dread to think of my girls seeing that scene accidentally if they creep downstairs when they should be in bed (as all kids do).

I don't think adding a child being mauled and thrown through a plate glass window, really adds anything does it? It is essentially a game after all? Violence is one thing, but violence against children. Not necessary for the required effect.

So as much as I love zombie games, I couldn't buy that one.

Here endeth the lecture! ;o)

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.

Edited by mrnelster (Sun 20-Mar-11 11:28:00)

Standard User Zadeks
(member) Sun 20-Mar-11 11:56:42
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

Time for you to quit the Internet!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mrnelster
(member) Sun 20-Mar-11 14:05:18
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Why? I haven't got a problem with it being on the Internet. Just don't think it would detract from the game any if it didn't have eight year old kid death in it.

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.
Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Sun 20-Mar-11 14:28:44
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

An intelligent well thought out response. Care to elaborate?
Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Sun 20-Mar-11 14:37:44
Print Post

I thought the trailer looked amazing. There was a real human feel to it, not least because of the screenplay but also I don't think I've ever seen such a level of personalisation to NPCs before. In fact it wouldn't seem right to objectify those models by simply calling them NPCs, it's too objectifying! It would be cold and inhuman of me to call them NPCs! wink

Of course, you can't really tell what the game would be like from that one very cinematic and provocative cutscene. You do get the sense of a very heart warming back story going on when most Zombie films are macho violent gorefests and people are completely desensitised to taking an axe to someone.

Again, importantly, what will the gameplay be like? I don't know. I suspect it will be very derivative and resemble any other zombie game at base. But we'll have to wait and see. I certainly would like to know more though.
Standard User FireFalcon
(experienced) Sun 20-Mar-11 18:38:06
Print Post

Cinematic looks promising but we know not to judge based on them ;D.

A few details have appeared here and there apparently its like dead rising meets l4d, has only melee weapons with firearms/ammo in short supply, etc but i'm holding fire until something a lot more concrete comes out, Deep silver + techland = not a fantastic track record behind either of them, so we'll see.
Standard User jorkila
(member) Mon 21-Mar-11 09:34:25
Print Post

[re: FireFalcon] [link to this post]

Here's a link to the website
Dead Island

I found the cinematic pretty engrossing, and if the gameplay imerses me half as much as the video they'll be onto a winner! But that would be another thing!!
Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Sat 26-Mar-11 13:41:20
Print Post

Took a look (thanks for the link). Not much there at the moment though. I did download the screenshots and mainly from this, you get a better idea of what's in the developers heads.

Looks like there are going to be 4 or 5 different playable characters then? I wonder if they are going to be around as friendly co-op NPCs for when you might need some help zombie slaying?

The game world looks quite open and normally that would be a good thing but with this title, I fear it might be a little too open as it'd get pretty boring if all you had to do was go around bashing in the walking dead all day and night long. Ooooh. Night time zombie killing sounds fun though. I guess the object of the game is to get the hell away from Dead Island? Looks like there's plenty of opportunity for swimming/boat building.

Something tells me this game is going to be a huge let down from the awesome looking trailer. I don't think they'll be able to draw out an adequate back and playable storyline long enough to make the seemingly open environment work but we'll see. Still hoping for the best though. tongue
Standard User scragglymonk
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Mar-11 20:50:09
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

good looking game, just a shame is is not on the pc

reminds me of an annoying girl on some RPG game, when had milked her for as much info as needed, picked her pocket, dropped in a grenade and ran very fast, kid starts whining and then boom ! no more kid smile

Windows is now a 64 bit tweak of a 32 bit extension to a 16 bit user interface for an 8 bit operating system based on a 4 bit architecture from a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition. Merula MaxADSL
http://www.speedtest.net/result/400698774.png
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to