Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mrnelster
(member) Sat 26-Mar-11 14:06:28
Print Post

When constructive criticism turns to propaganda!!

[link to this post]

Ok here's the deal. I am ultra critical. I do things properly or not at all. I don't buy the best, but I buy the best that I can afford. And whether it's a pair of trainers or a high end gaming PC, most people are probably in the same boat these days.

Now here's the rub. PC games are graphically better looking than consoles, agreed?

But how much better and how important is that? Obviously poor looking visuals won't make for a successful game launch but can we be too nitpicky over visuals?

I posted earlier about a buddy with a PS3 and high end PC. He wants me to play online with him tonight on the PS3 if I can pick up a copy of Crysis 2 this afternoon.

This was the message I received this morning:

Crysis 2 is very good. Just a shame my pc makes the ps3 look like something you should be putting your sandwich's in

I know! It made me crack a smile a must admit. But is it really such a chasm of difference? Apart from really nice lighting effects, what should I be looking for to justify these huge differences in apparent quality?

When the effort is put in on the big games, consoles can look great. So other than lighting, what should I be looking for?

Discuss! tongue

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.
Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Sat 26-Mar-11 14:31:41
Print Post

Re: When constructive criticism turns to propaganda!!

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

It isn't always important and is usually relative. If you are playing a fast action first person shooter you usually don't care about the visuals as long as the game play is good. On the other hand if you are playing something that isn't as hectic they can add to the realism.

Personally I don't see the point of a console when I have spent £££ on a decent gaming PC but each to their own I guess.

BeUnlimited
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,273 / 21,442
Standard User mrnelster
(member) Sat 26-Mar-11 16:19:33
Print Post

[re: kamelion] [link to this post]

It isn't always important and is usually relative.

I think that sums up my thoughts pretty well. smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User FireFalcon
(experienced) Sat 26-Mar-11 22:01:58
Print Post

Depends on his PC, TBH i haven't had exposure to the PS3 version, but ive seen a few comparison videos and i can notice the difference, the textures generally look flatter and in a few cases lower res and the lighting effects are as apparent on the PC, flames and physics are also much better on PC too. There is always higher resolutions and frame rate over consoles too.

Between the way crysis 2 refers to settings and such and what ever your mates PC is its entirely possible it could look much greater than consoles, but to the extent of how much better could be anywhere from very true to exaggeration.
Standard User Guest_Again
(legend) Sat 26-Mar-11 23:56:57
Print Post

[re: FireFalcon] [link to this post]

*Guesty smiles @ PC winning over Consoles. wink

Be* with this (XP Pro & Win7), and a MacBook Pro (OS X)

FREE & Easy Tweaks for WHATEVER Your Speed - CLICK HERE!

Use DrTCP & DMT + settings

Link 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - Be* Here wink
Standard User mrnelster
(member) Sun 27-Mar-11 09:46:47
Print Post

[re: Guest_Again] [link to this post]

But that will always be the case. Maybe we shouldn't be comparing them?

As Kamelion said earlier, it's all relative really.

Standard User jorkila
(member) Mon 28-Mar-11 08:06:24
Print Post

I used to be a pc gamer, but i'd trade the difference in graphics for the comfort of my sofa and nice big screen all day long!!
Lets face it we're not talking the difference between pc and console being so massive that games are unplayable on the consoles, they still look great so it all comes down to personal preference really.

Edited by jorkila (Mon 28-Mar-11 08:09:18)

Print Thread

Jump to