Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User FireFalcon
(experienced) Tue 29-Mar-11 07:03:26
Print Post

Darkspore - Free beta all week on Steam

[link to this post]

http://store.steampowered.com/app/99890/

As the topic says, free beta, around 5.8gb to dl, free all week.

I was in the prior betas for it and i was pleasantly surprised by it, i was expecting some pretty rubbish RPG and whats there is a pretty neat game.

Few tips for anyone giving it a try:
-I think you have to use the darkspore site to enter the serial steam gives you, you just use your standard EA account you use for battlefield/etc then enter that serial and bam.
-You can't skip the first video but it only plays once anyway, press escape to skip others if you want to
-When playing campaign clicking matchmaker will find you 3 other people, start will make you run it solo, i advise people run it coop, much better loot, etc.
-Avoid opening the green obelisks during the boss/end horde wave unless you really need healing, try to discourage others from doing it too, open them and you get less bonus towards getting high level parts.
-You can only access the inventory when you are at the main screen or during a level, not during the squad select screen, same goes for swapping characters out.
-At first you can only chain 2 levels but when you reach level 9 you can buy an engine upgrade to chain up to 3 and later 4, etc
-I'm not sure how much progress is unlocked for the beta but you could get up to 4-3 last beta session.
-If you want "detail" parts you need to strip stats from other parts you aren't/don't want to use via the inventory then theres a button for it, then you can use them as detail parts

If you like it and think on buying it, buying it on steam via 4pack with a UK buyer is the cheapest by far when i last checked, worked out at £22-23 per copy, next cheapest is like 25 from game/shopto.

Edited by FireFalcon (Tue 29-Mar-11 07:04:48)

Standard User Gzero
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Mar-11 15:05:23
Print Post

Re: Darkspore - Free beta all week on Steam

[re: FireFalcon] [link to this post]

No thanks because:

A) It's EA
B) It's Maxis
C) MILK MILK MILK
D) No offline component to practice in
E) It's EA
F) MILK MILK MILK

laugh
Standard User FireFalcon
(experienced) Tue 29-Mar-11 17:54:20
Print Post

[re: Gzero] [link to this post]

It isn't that bad, honest wink.

Plus i can think of a nice point to counter all.

A) It's FREE

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Gzero
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Mar-11 19:03:29
Print Post

[re: FireFalcon] [link to this post]

Is it only for this week though?

Struggling for space, too much [censored] on my HDD.
  Print Thread

Jump to