Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mrnelster
(member) Sun 03-Apr-11 09:56:48
Print Post

Killzone3

[link to this post]

Ok, been playing through Crysis2 on the PS3 and loving every minute of it.
Looks great, but seems to peak and fade quite regularly. During a single level it can look particularly mediocre and then bang, look great again.

Anyhow, really enjoying it.

I didn't think I would bother with Killzone3 because I found the controls on KZ2 floaty and the movement cumbersome. I have read some reviews that say that has been fixed.
I keep reading reviews saying the story is supposed to suck, but the visuals look fantastic. I can live with that if the MP is good fun, the controls are reasonably sharp and the visual carnage is big!

I love the suit abilities (especially the cloaking smile) in Crysis2, but it's given me the urge for some more sci fi style FPS action. Anybody who has played it got any reasons not to buy it, other than the lax storyline?

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Apr-11 10:13:28
Print Post

Re: Killzone3

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

I finished Crysis 2 which took me 14 hours according to the stats at the end,really great game not without a few glitches here and there and at one point some horrendous slow down when there was a lot going on.

Killzone 3 is a great game but i dont find it as Mind Blowing as the Killzone 3 fanboys that are saying visually nothing touches it,Visually it look really great and it does have some fantastic graphics.

The floating feeling and movement have been addressed but i would not say completely fixed,saying that the multiplayer is really sweet but nothing like crysis and Cod games and at no time have i witnessed any graphical glitches or slow down.

If you like FPS and own a PlayStation then its a must to this the game.warzone is the best mode in the game which switches every few minutes to different modes of play.

On a critical level there are only about 6 online maps and i think i am right in saying 2 additional map packs that you can download,1 of them been 2 maps from Killzone 2.

Also there are only 3 game modes which is not that much,not finished single player part of the game because there have been many more games that got released around the same time.

Where i think Crysis 2 shines is the Multiplayer and from what i have played its brilliant but very hard to get used to.

Edited by time2die (Sun 03-Apr-11 10:19:24)

Standard User mrnelster
(member) Sun 03-Apr-11 21:16:18
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

If you like FPS and own a PlayStation then its a must...

Killzone 3 it is then. Really looking forward to it now I've just finished Crysis 2.
Eight hours and thirty five minutes apparently with a 31.20% accuracy. Considering the over excited run and gun approach I took, I'm pretty happy with that percentage! Lol!

Well worth the money.

Now off to the multiplayer!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mrnelster
(member) Sun 03-Apr-11 22:05:19
Print Post

Now off to the multiplayer!

Famous last words....lagging it's ass off tonight. Could sit in front of them shooting all night and they wouldn't die.

I'm sure is down to poor matchmaking.

Standard User mrnelster
(member) Thu 07-Apr-11 21:05:22
Print Post

On your recommendation I've now bought KZ3. And I have to say I really really like it.

Yes, the controls are still a little sloppy, though that can add to the realism more than locking onto everything instantly (aka COD).

And I have to say I love the way it looks too. Crysis is a better game due to cloaking and stealth options and the MP will probably hold me for quite a while.

I haven't tried the MP on KZ3 yet, but for run and gun action it is fantastic fun and visually very very satisfying. Now I have two options depending what mood I'm in, to hopefully hold me until BF3 in the autumn. smile

And my FTTC cab has just gone live, so I will soon be able to enjoy cloaking and throating even more! wink

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Apr-11 08:43:56
Print Post

Takes some time to get into the multiplayer but its well worth the investment,majority of the time i am still getting owned with the Crysis 2 multiplayer and its getting a little frustrating trying to figure out why.

Dont know if its more important to aim for head shots or what.nearly every single time i am in a firefight i am the one watching the killcam.
Standard User mrnelster
(committed) Fri 08-Apr-11 21:09:37
Print Post

Are you sure it's not connection issues? The first time I went online it was superb. Every time I've tried since it has been dire. And when you've lived with a 1meg connection for years, there is absolutely no doubt about when you are having connection problems!

Have you tried playing private matches with friends on known connection speeds and still been owned by them?

Whenever I get owned on Crysis I find that everyone on my team has a negative K/D ratio, and the other team virtually all have a positive one.

That guarantees it's a hosting issue on the consoles.

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Apr-11 09:16:40
Print Post

No my connection is 12 meg and its not a connection issue i don't think,saying that i notice that only one person has a full green bar with everybody else having about 3 bars and the odd person having a dire connection with one red bar.

Does not feel laggy or anything and when i do look at the connection status in game and its poor i leave the game.
Standard User mrnelster
(committed) Sat 09-Apr-11 12:01:26
Print Post

The trouble is it isn't just about your connection. The hosting system has a lot to do with it. People playing in parties, others forcing host to get into games with higher latency etc.

I remember playing COD MW2 with one player from Manchester trouncing everybody and then goading them in the lobby. Being the PSN who would expect different. I tried to point out that you are only as good as your connection. On small maps, unless you are camping/sniping or worse still "quicksniping" (grrrrrrrrr!) the law of averages makes it almost impossible to turn out scores of 25 and 3, let alone every game with 12 players or more targeting you.

Safe to say he gave me the usual verbal abuse. Then due to other people leaving who couldn't tolerate his attitude, he ended up on our team. The score then reversed to a regular 4 and 18 etc.

Safe to say he got the point and even ended up sending me a friend request. FIB unfortunately!

I don't pretend to understand the intricacies of matchmaking and hosting protocols, other than I have been told it is due to coding on the PSN and Xboxlive networks that causes the problems that PC gamers don't tend to face.

The only way to cure it is to end up with proper dedicated servers.

On the flip side, the advent of FTTC becoming more widespread is going to be a big levelling event as far as online console gamers are concerned. I know a couple with particularly oversized egos that I can't wait to humiliate! wink

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Apr-11 01:04:53
Print Post

The only way to cure it is to end up with proper dedicated servers.

Yeah as long as they are not in the same state as the Dedicated Homefront servers..........What a mess they are ?

Certainly DEAD that's for sure ........wink
  Print Thread

Jump to