Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mrnelster
(committed) Sun 17-Apr-11 17:41:45
Print Post

PS3 slim

[link to this post]

Was just watching a battlefield 3 montage on YouTube and getting excited again and then the ps3 shuts down with flashing red lights. Brilliant.

Thinking about getting the 160 slim. Anybody got any advice? And what would be the best way to repair/trade or sell the old one? (60gig launch model with all the slots etc.).
Don't fancy a refurb as I have read about too many experiences of short lived replacements.

Plus it will take too long and I've got fibre being installed on Tuesday laugh

Is the slim really that much quieter? Are there any other subtle/interesting differences/improvements that aren't detailed in the standard sales pitch?

It had COD black ops in the tray, so it could have been a hardware protest shut down wink

I expect getting that out again will be the next conundrum. Not that I'll lose too much sleep if I can't.

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Apr-11 00:57:52
Print Post

Re: PS3 slim

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

I have had a PlayStation slim since Launch and its ultra quiet,not that i thought the previous model was noisy.............You want noise then that's a 360 until i upgraded that model to a slim one also.

I was fortunate when i traded in my older model P3 like yours a few years back or whenever the slim got released,I got £200 for the old model against a slim version from Gamestation [Yep £200 ]because they were price matching what CEX were doing at the time.

I have no to little advice as to where you stand with your machine now its Kaput mrnelster and to be honest i think you may have just missed the boat and traded it before the problem.

Think the cost to repair will be to much and you could now have a heavy paper weight ,they will always test the console out when you trade it so unless it starts up then your options are limited.

Think your talking at least £100 to get it fixed and i doubt very much you would get that now for a older playstation 3,think you might manage £80 if your lucky ?

I have never had a single Playstation 3 fail yet i have had the RROD on a 360 3 times.

mad
Standard User mrnelster
(committed) Mon 18-Apr-11 07:09:25
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Thanks for that T2D.

I have now ordered a replacement on Game.co.uk on special delivery!

320GB bundled with Killzone and retro map packs, for £249. Looked to be the best price around at the moment, especially with the free express delivery. Its actually 15 quid cheaper than their 160GB models aswell.

Now I need to recover some pics and stuff that I hadn't backed up. If I remove the hard drive, would I be able to get a connection cable or anything to connect to a PC, or have I missed and sunk that boat aswell?!? wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Apr-11 09:39:36
Print Post

Dont look GOOD Mate.

Thought you had already bought Killzone 3 as i remember you asking about it and you saying that you had taken the plunge.

Edited by time2die (Mon 18-Apr-11 09:46:07)

Standard User mrnelster
(committed) Mon 18-Apr-11 13:29:24
Print Post

You're right mate, I did. But the best price I could get for a 320 was about £239 i think. My mate was about to buy Kz3, so he is gonna have the special edition copy included (with the extra maps) off me for 30 quid. Result.

And I've got this reply from a company called Total Console Repair.

Good morning

Thank you for your email. Yes we are able to repair it, if the hard drive is not causing the problem then we will not remove any data. The standard repair is £50 and £15 carriage. If we needed to replace any parts there will be an additional cost of £35.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us on 0871 9181 721.

Thank you

Might be lucky and not lose stuff. Either way, for 65-100 quid, I think I will let my eldest have it in her room as a media server for her PC and the odd game she plays on it like modnation racers.

Fingers crossed.smile

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Apr-11 15:09:50
Print Post

Still reckon once they have it they will say there is something else that needs replacing,if they fix it for the price quoted and you do what you suggest and give it to your son then that can not be to bad.

I bet your not that bothered to be honest and you are looking forward to your Brand New PlayStation slim with huge HDD.

Nothing better than a new gadget to replace a older version........wink

You getting Portal 2 Friday or does this game not interest you,personally FPS and Puzzle type games like Portal i enjoy the most.
Standard User mrnelster
(committed) Mon 18-Apr-11 15:31:36
Print Post

You are probably right. I doubt they won't find something that needs replacing for the 35 quid extra, at the very least!

I might give Portal 2 a go if and when you have road tested it first!
Never really played puzzle games as I remember.

Anyway, going to a mates tonight to get my fix, two player coop Killzone at the minute. Good fun! smile

How depressed will I be if my FTTC install goes ahead tomorrow and my new ps3 doesn't turn up or vice versa! frown

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Apr-11 15:41:54
Print Post

Sounds like a exciting day matey wink The PlayStation 3 will turn up I'm convinced as special delivery don't normally fail.

As for your new Broadband connection then that's any one's guess,if its something to do with BT then expect the worse.

If there is one company i despise with a passion its BT,most painful procedure trying to get basically anything resolved using them,one time recently when we just moved to our new house i even considered setting up a Adsl connection with them.

You would not believe the pain involved in just trying to order it,i was speaking to them from my land line but they told me i have not got a land line and it went on for hours and i just contemplated suicide...............Shocking Company

I'm sure there is a portal 1 demo on xbox live and Steam,not sure about PlayStation network though.

What do you think of Killzone 3 by the way and have you tested the online aspects out or are you waiting on that Super Duper connection.wink

Edited by time2die (Mon 18-Apr-11 15:46:46)

Standard User mrnelster
(committed) Mon 18-Apr-11 18:23:53
Print Post

There's nothing you can tell me about BT I haven't already experienced. I can honestly feel your pain!
That's why I am putting my money where my mouth is and using Aquiss.

Over 10 quid a month more than BT but worth every penny for the customer service. Speaking to Martin Pitt there was a pleasure and not only was he an absolute enthusiast about quality connections, but really new his tech aswell. Very reassuring after 18 months of BT. smile

As for KZ3, yes I am waiting for my new connection before taking it online. I loved the look of KZ2, but the online experience on my old connection was awful and I want to appreciate KZ3 for what it really is, not for what I can achieve connection wise. Loved the look of the single player though and I am replaying it coop with a buddy at the moment.

Will keep an eye out for some portal 2 action on YouTube and post my thoughts on buying it.

Edited by mrnelster (Mon 18-Apr-11 18:27:36)

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Apr-11 18:34:58
Print Post

Glad your enjoying the game mate and you will adore the online once you get into it believe me.there is a great couple of map packs on the playstation store from the Killzone 2 game.

I think one of them is free .well it is for Playstation Plus Subscribers.........You must get the maps because they have made a great game even better with these awesome Killzone 2 maps.........

Yeah and you and we both and about 20 million others think BT are a Joke,makes me squirm everytime i see one of there Broadband adds and my quote after is always [yeah right] mad
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to