Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-May-11 09:18:37
Print Post

PSN Still down and No sign when its up ?

[link to this post]

So we are getting into 3 weeks downtime now for the Playstation network and its getting rather frustrating as what to do when buying games.

Like i mentioned the games releases the past few weeks have been sparse so that has not affected game sales on the Sony Console.

But now released this week we have a certain game that has the potential given previews of the game to be quite a draw online.

Brink is the game in question from the developers of Quake wars [Nothing special] releases this coming Friday and the following Friday we have LA Noir which by all accounts will be massive.

I said last week that if the service did not resume then i was going to go with the 360 version of Brink even though i prefer my games on the P3.

Brink has a deep single player mode which i would have played to death anyway so that is Sony Saving grace if i decide to stick with the P3 version.

Think Sony are extremely lucky that this never happened winter time or when we get them weeks with massive game releases.

Edited by time2die (Mon 09-May-11 16:56:42)

Standard User Gzero
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-May-11 12:53:53
Print Post

Re: PSN Still down and Now sign when its up ?

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by time2die:
So we are getting into 3 weeks downtime now for the Playstation network and its getting rather frustrating as what to do when buying games.

Might be down until end of May!

Good news for students who couldn't pull themselves away from their ps3's I guess.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2011/05/09/psn-m...
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-May-11 13:04:25
Print Post

[re: Gzero] [link to this post]

What a Joke that is and makes Sony look like a 2 bit company and completely clueless dimwits.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-May-11 15:06:04
Print Post

Yes this a nightmare for Sony and for their customers but I think its in their interests to make sure its is nigh on impossible for something like this to happen again! I would suspect MS are double checking that their security policies are water tight as well in light of this catastrophy.

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User Jaxx281
(member) Mon 09-May-11 15:44:02
Print Post

Yup it's a huge joke! But to be honest PS3 owners can complain, but it's a free service. I know it's above and beyond your regular free service and good uptime is expected from it, but still, it's a free service! I try to stay out of the PS3 vs Xbox arguments usually as they just wind me up, but all the PS3 owners who use the argument "well at least we don't have to pay to play online!" look who's laughing now wink I'm quite happy to pay £2.50 a month for Xbox live if it means I don't have to go without gaming for a month!

Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(regular) Mon 09-May-11 16:00:21
Print Post

[re: Jaxx281] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Jaxx281:
, but all the PS3 owners who use the argument "well at least we don't have to pay to play online!" look who's laughing now wink I'm quite happy to pay £2.50 a month for Xbox live if it means I don't have to go without gaming for a month!

Easy to crow now, RROD What are the real failure rates!

I do pay for my service!

My views are my experiences.
Standard User Jaxx281
(member) Mon 09-May-11 16:04:07
Print Post

[re: NilSatisOptimum] [link to this post]

True, I've had one Xbox die from RROD, but they are only £130 a console so it's not too bad. Don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for PS3 owners as a fellow gamer I don't want to see other gamers in distress but I have been constantly ridiculed for "paying to play" for years so it's nice to have something to wave back now.

Standard User mrnelster
(committed) Mon 09-May-11 17:01:49
Print Post

[re: Jaxx281] [link to this post]

I have been constantly ridiculed for "paying to play" for years so it's nice to have something to wave back now.

Those who mock are numbnuts.

I would happily pay for the PS3 network if it was seperated. I am not a Plus subscriber because it just gives daft extras and little else. Now if they were to segregate it into a two tier system where the paid for service offered less lag, proper hoting etc., then I would sign up straight away.

I don't know how much truth is in it, but many Xbox users claim the connection is far more stable host wise? That's worth paying for, not old ps one titles badged as minis at a reduced price of £3.99 blah blah blah. frown

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.

Live BQM

FTTC - Aquiss Business 45
37.7Mbps Downstream
8.45Mbps Upstream
7ms Ping
Standard User mrnelster
(committed) Mon 09-May-11 17:08:12
Print Post

[re: Gzero] [link to this post]

Might be down until end of May!

Hopefully that is "full" functionality, and the gaming side will be first up. I did say hopefully didn't I? blush

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.

Live BQM

FTTC - Aquiss Business 45
37.7Mbps Downstream
8.45Mbps Upstream
7ms Ping
Standard User FireFalcon
(experienced) Mon 09-May-11 18:08:58
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

Is RROD even an issue these days? its been solved long before the slim came out. Lets not forget the PS3 has had its fair time in the spotlight for hardware failure YLOD and laser failures. Not defending the RROD here, i suffered with it a few times, but considering i sent my console off got it back in just over a week and got a free month of gold time and it was a free repair it was a small price to pay for something i got a benefit from.

PSN might be a free service but if you look at the age old tired point of PC gaming does so much more so much better for free. Its sony's own arrogance that brought this situation about, their selfishness over their network and console disabling stuff like otherOS, if they'd have left it in people would have started poking as much as they did to find a way to get it back. Most of this stuff came about due to people wanting homebrew (which as a aside effect enables piracy, don't get the two mixed up), sony refused to listen and bam the doors get kicked in.

Now theres rumours of a 3rd breach, PSN being down almost going to screw over the US release of brink and others, EU is a good possibility too.

The way they ran their servers is truly shocking, anyone with IT experience knows not leave stuff like apache unmaintained let alone WITHOUT a firewall, on servers where personal data is stored? thats just madness, the UK ICO is going to chew them over it, the US are and its a matter of time before the EU do too, and in a very worst case scenario sony could lose their license to take card payments meaning things would have to be done via prepaid cards. There is no limit to the end of the lesson sony can learn from this, both on a corporate business level and on a community and PR level too.

If i was genuinely a PS3 owner or SOE MMO subscriber I truly wouldnt be after this, its just mind blowing the incompetence.

As for if LIVE is worth paying for, IMO the community despite its stereotype is better on 360 than PS3, i can't speak much for how reliable it is but i've never had much issue with it at all and also i know its networking is easier to please requiring just a couple of ports forwarding (or let them autoforward), the amount of PS3's i've had to shove in DMZ's and mess about with to get them pleased.

Tempting to buy one of these http://store.penny-arcade.com/products/it-only-does-tee
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to