Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-May-11 00:15:38
Print Post

LA NOIR........PURE CLASS ACT..

[link to this post]

As most are aware LA NOIR has just been released and its getting some favourable if not brilliant reviews,mine dropped through the letterbox today and this evening i have played through about 1 hour of the game which sort of introduces you to the game play and basically whats what ?

People expecting GTA and red dead redemption will be in for a shock as this is more of a detective game than a all guns blazing scenario.saying that i have been in a couple of shootouts and they are very much in the Rockstar production values of the previous mentioned two games.

What i will say is this game is tremendous and it has all the hallmarks of a Rockstar produced game,The graphics are fantastic and the music and the way the character's interact and the facial expressions are a joy to behold.

Sometimes when you load a game up and watch just a few minutes of a intro you know by your instincts that a certain game is going to impress,and LA NOIR sure does that and its easily going to be a top 10 contender for game of the year 2011.

You can tell when playing this game that production values were high on the agenda and money spent on the game was not a issue.

The game was not developed by Rockstar but a developer called Team Bondi which is sort of a sub division within Rockstar but it has all the great production values of a Rockstar developed product................If your sitting on the fence regarding getting this game then jump of and run to a game shop.............wink
Standard User Jaxx281
(member) Fri 20-May-11 09:26:52
Print Post

Re: LA NOIR........PURE CLASS ACT..

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Couldn't agree with you more mate, it's fantastic!! I got my copy early yesterday too and played it last night for about 6 hours, I got completely lost in the story and think everything about it is great! I can see why it won't appeal to gamers who like fast paced action all guns blazing, but that's not what they are trying to do with the game so those type of gamers should steer clear.

I started playing about 8:30 last night and before I knew it, it was 2:30! I really love the facial animations, I've had to interview quite a few suspects and chat to people at the scene of the crime and I would say I've got about 70% of them correct so far, it's quite hard sometimes to tell whether someone is lieing or just doubtful and if you get it wrong it completely changes the course of that mission! Luckily you can go back and replay them because I completely forgot to interview one of the suspects so missed a chunk out of the story in one scene lol!

The great thing about it is I played it with my girlfriend and she loved it just as much as me (I say played it with her, I played it she watched wink ), there are a lot of cutscenes so if you're not heavily into story in a game it won't be for you either. But each scene is set like an episode of an old detective TV show, there is a lot of digging around crime scenes for clues like CSI type games.

Finally the music is fantastic, i love how you have to listen carefully to changes in the tune to find clues and things.

I probably should have wrote a more structure review than the above but I'm just so excited about it I wanted to get it typed up as quick as possible lol tongue I cannot WAIT for 5pm to come so I can go home and play it all night. First job after work -> Asda -> Crate of red bull -> Play until the early hours of tomorrow laugh

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-May-11 13:22:39
Print Post

[re: Jaxx281] [link to this post]

Mine are not reviews Jaxx Just my thoughts on certain games i buy,its nice to get a game through the post that matches the hype and the outstanding review scores.

I am glad you are enjoying it but you are way past were i am as i like to take my time with these type of games,when finished i am going to go back and start Red Dead Redemption all over again because this game makes me want to revisit which to me was game of the year 2010.

Nothing more to add at present as you have pointed out the most obvious superb things about the game like facial animations ,music score and the rest.......Brilliant game.

They say the game is at least 20 hours long so that will be good for you,not really checked out the menu screens much but i am sure there will be other stuff to complete after you have completed the game or something.

May be you will be able to revisit different parts of the game to achieve a better score or something.

Edited by time2die (Fri 20-May-11 13:26:26)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jaxx281
(member) Fri 20-May-11 14:19:29
Print Post

Yea you can go back to cases to perfect them, I'm not that far through the game to be fair, I have probably done about 10 cases (including the tutorials) and have also done a couple of the calls that come through on the radio in the police car (which I think is a good way of doing side missions). At the end of every case it will say like 10/15 clues found, 6/8 answers correct etc. so you can go and replay it and try and 100% it!

There are also things like all the collectibles (which for a change in this kind of game arent boring!) like when you pick a newspaper up and you get to relive the story, that's a cool feature!

I also really like how realistic it looks when walking up and downstairs, and when he picks up his hat, silly things like that make a massive difference I think and gives it more realism so I dont just feel like im playing a game!

Yup RDR was my game of last year too I loved it, I've done everything on it though except for the Zombie Add On, think I will do that after LA Noire maybe!!

Any idea why it is 3 disks too? Perhaps only so many cases on 1 disk?

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-May-11 14:25:58
Print Post

Mine is the playstation 3 version so its a blu ray and only comes on one disk,its a massive game i think around 25gig so that is why the xbox 360 has 3 disks mate because they are just normal roms.
Standard User Jaxx281
(member) Fri 20-May-11 14:40:07
Print Post

Thought so! That's pretty cool, FF13 was 3 disks too! Have you seen some people saying LA Noire is causing their PS3 to overheat? http://www.pcworld.com/article/228279/la_noire_causi...

If you scroll down a rep from the game says it seems to be on the older PS3's 60 & 80gb consoles.

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-May-11 16:54:56
Print Post

I upgraded mine to a slim version when they first came out because i had a fantastic deal from Gamestation who were giving [its true] £220 for a old model playstation and i ended up paying £30 for a brand new Slim Playstation 3.

Will play the game later this evening but i have yet to have any issues.thought the bank shootout was pretty impressive in the first part of the game,reminded me of Rockstars previous games.

That was not a spoiler for people thinking about getting the game as its just the first 30 minutes of getting to know the controls and stuff and is not part of the main story.
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-May-11 17:01:45
Print Post

Interesting link mate but it like you say it seems to be older playstation 3 models and further down the header it mentions Xboxc 360 having similar problems.

The game must be good because of the limited amount of time i have played it i have not skipped a single cut scene.wink and that to me is another sign of a fantastic game .

Most cut scenes i skip as either the game does not grab me or they go on far to long and i lose interest................Jaxx i do have limited patience as i am getting older so the game has to have that wow factor from the moment i put the game disk in and it loads...............LA NOIR is such a game.
Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-May-11 18:06:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by Jaxx281:
The great thing about it is I played it with my girlfriend and she loved it just as much as me (I say played it with her, I played it she watched wink ), there are a lot of cutscenes so if you're not heavily into story in a game it won't be for you either. But each scene is set like an episode of an old detective TV show, there is a lot of digging around crime scenes for clues like CSI type games.

That's great news I was going to ask if it was the sort of game where they can join in laugh

=TLP=Swanny
Standard User NuttyMucker
(regular) Fri 20-May-11 18:44:28
Print Post

Thanks for all the positive comments as prior to these I wasn't that bothered but now I feel I must go and get it next week!

Thanks again

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to