Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User got2nesa
(newbie) Sat 21-May-11 01:51:02
Print Post

Gaming ISP that doesn't suck

[link to this post]

I originally posted here but was not able to find my answer.

Quite simply...

What gaming ISP is the best? Stable, low latency. Mainly for World of Warcraft & Xbox360... Call of Duty, etc...

BE* Pro?

Vivaciti's Fibre option (FTTC)?

Some other FTTC provider?

None of the above? If so, which?

Thank you in advance for your straight and helpful answers laugh
Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Sat 21-May-11 03:58:09
Print Post

Re: Gaming ISP that doesn't suck

[re: got2nesa] [link to this post]

I live in London about 800m (direct path) from my exchange so for gaming, as a fair few servers are often situated not far from me my ping can be pretty low at times (always had fastpath enabled). Pinging bbc.co.uk (50 times) and I'm averaging 6ms with a lot of 7ms and one 12ms. The last few servers I played on were based in southern England and I was getting 7ms (Battlefield 2). I'd get between 30ms and 50ms to Scandinavia/Europe from memory. Between 100 and 150ms, East to West coast USA/Canada. Anything up to around 120/130ms for me was playable without serious disadvantage.

Never had a problem with gaming as far as Be are concerned. Because the connection was sound, I could play throughout continental Europe and even in the US and Canada (despite having 100+ms ping). I know latency isn't everything when considering quality of connection. I can't pretend to know about things like jitter etcetera and how they affect your connection but I've had very good latency from another ISP (same address/line) and would routinely disconnect from games with very high frequency. This problem went away completely when I switched from Homechoice ISP to Nildram, which then had a good reputation as a gamer's choice of ISP. I switched to Be for ADSL 2+ and better value, not to mention getting away from Tiscali who took over both previous ISPs (again).

For several years I've been with Be, both on the Pro and Unlimited packages. The only difference between them (afaik) is upload+ is only available on the Pro package. This gave me throughput of around 1770 Kbps upload and around 15712 Kbps down. Typically, I would download at around 2MB/second. I never really took advantage of the upload speeds as I'm not much of a file sharer and don't upload all that much to photography sites. So, I'm using the Unlimited service with fastpath (error correction switched off) and my upload speed is a solid 1123 Kbps or so. I'm still downloading at a max of 2MB/second.

My line stats are quite good though so your mileage might vary. I haven't looked at the thread you've linked yet but note you're not based in London. Well, there are plenty of decent ISPs to choose from nowadays but Be have always delivered me a decent service with pretty good tech support when I've needed it. They're happy to tweak your profile in the event you want to change something. Hope this little history helps you make a better informed decision.

My stats:

ADSL Link
Connection Speed (Downstream) 18833 kbps (Upstream) 1334 kbps
Line Attenuation (down) 21.0 db (up) 9.1 db
Noise Margin (down) 3.8 db (up) 3.8 db

I tweaked my line and set my downstream SNM lower (it was until today reporting 1.6dB) so I don't know what's causing the extra noise out there. My Line Attenuation figures have looked better and have presumably been fixed back at Be so I might have a chat with them and get them to reset things their end.
Standard User got2nesa
(newbie) Sat 21-May-11 04:38:02
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

SPOOKish,

Thank you very much for your significantly detailed response, I must say it is the best response I've had yet and a very good review in favour of BE*.

I'm really leaning towards BE* at the moment, and certainly will snatch them if FTTC is in fact unavailable for me, although according to my post code, it is available... Whatever the case, I suspect FTTC will provide me with faster speeds than BE* while maintaining the same quality of connection with regards to low latency and stability. I could be wrong, I hope that I'm not, but if I can get faster for a bit more, I don't mind.

I'm looking into Aquiss, as I've heard good things about their FTTC broadband, and so if I'm not entirely convinced about that being the best option, then I certainly will go on BE*, if not for all of the great reviews and good hunches I've had about them, then because your response has made a significant impact on my decision.

I've always known BE* was a good company, but when I found out that I'm quite far from the exchange, it had me worried a bit, although I've been reassured by some people who have had great results from similar distances, I'll still wait to see if any FTTC customers who play World of Warcraft can comment.

Thank you once again SPOOKish! Best wishes for you to maintain your awesome connection smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User FireFalcon
(experienced) Sat 21-May-11 05:37:34
Print Post

I'm with be after leaving ukonline (which are now dead), after swapping to them and making sure fastpath (gaming mode to them) was enabled i got much faster pings, and after things settled down i'm getting better speeds too.

I like that BE don't throttle/traffic manage and don't punish high downloads. I find in a month i blow pretty much every other ISPs download caps due to things like steam/mmo's patching. Although I can't vouch for WoW, i do know a couple of friends, one on orange, one talktalk who encountered nothing but trouble with the both of them due to download caps and such not liking the WoW patcher and ended up throttled despite them saying they don't do this.

I know playing APB i used to have a ping of around 60-80 now i have one of 40-60 depending on district population etc.
Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Sat 21-May-11 12:04:09
Print Post

No worries got2nesa, I'm happy you found my ramble a little helpful. I've since taken a look at your thread over in the 'Which ISP?' forum and note you've already tried O2 but were seemingly unhappy with the service?

Be uses O2's infrastructure and in fact, this site and others identifies my connection as O2. There are significant differences (between O2 & Be) which more knowledgeable people like nredwood and RobertoS could tell you about. I don't think O2 offer fastpath though I don't know what level of interleaving correction they would implement or if you could select a specific profile (I think Be have a sliding scale of more stringent error correction and when once I had it enabled it only added 10ms or so onto my latency. You will likely incur more latency with O2 if they used more aggressive error correction.)

I've not played WoW I'm afraid so can't comment but Rebel seems to know what he's talking about. Yeah, there are other things to consider besides latency (download caps, traffic shaping and so on). That's why so many other heavily marketed more mainstream products are so craptastic.

If it were me and I didn't mind spending extra for a super fast FTTC connection (as you mention), I'd definitely go with RobertoS' recommendations. Mrnelster (a user on this forum) who frequents this gaming section could tell you about his recent experiences with gaming as he has FTTC. He also lived a ways from his exchange but not so far at all from his local green cabinet and reported very enviable connection speeds. If you were to try Be, considering your past difficulties and line length you'd probably be best to try it out with a 3 month contract option. You can get good offers through cashback sites like Quidco if nobody's mentioned it. Just mention that to Be when signing up and they may give you one or 2 free months instead (depending on contract length).

Good luck with it mate. I wish you and your mate gaming bliss. smile Just hope you're not using a PC running Windows though! The other bane in a gamer's life, once their connection's sorted is the sodding 'puter... wink
Standard User nredwood
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-May-11 16:11:36
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

O2 use BE's infrastructure

O2 packages are now all traffic managed and they will not do fastpath. You can get them to put you on different SNR profiles, but only by ringing up

Due to the OP's line length, BE Pro with Annex M would not be stable. IF going for BE, I'd go for either Be Value (fastpath and static IP unavailable) or Be Unlimited. With Be Unlimited you can have fastpath, you get the option within the Member Centre to tweak your profile i.e. you don't have to ring support to do it and you can request 1 free static IP

Personally I'd go for FTTC if available and if not either BE, Vivaciti or Xilo

Nearly 5 years with BE here and pings are low, even on interleaved. I've had 3 people gaming at the same time with no issues and their phone support and forum support are excellent

Be* Unlimited
Standard User got2nesa
(newbie) Sat 21-May-11 16:35:15
Print Post

[re: nredwood] [link to this post]

Thanks nredwood, it's nice to know that Annex M won't be good for my line length.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-May-11 17:12:59
Print Post

In my experience the best latency I've ever had was from Homechoice, UK Online and Be. Given that 2 of those 3 don't exist anymore that kinda leaves Be smile

I can't recommend Virgin Media.

--- www.bbc.net.uk ping statistics ---

15 packets transmitted, 15 packets received, 0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max = 11.4/20.5/43.0 ms
Standard User FireFalcon
(experienced) Sat 21-May-11 19:18:49
Print Post

[re: nredwood] [link to this post]

Thats not true, they WILL do fastpath for you on be value, you just need to phone their support up and ask for them to do it, they usually phone you when your line is active and you start using it, which i thought was a nice touch. As for static IP, mine hasnt changed at all either so yeah, nice service from BE, best ive encountered from an ISP so far.
Standard User mrnelster
(committed) Sat 21-May-11 21:39:11
Print Post

Mrnelster (a user on this forum) who frequents this gaming section could tell you about his recent experiences with gaming as he has FTTC. He also lived a ways from his exchange but not so far at all from his local green cabinet and reported very enviable connection speeds

I cant recommend my ISP for gaming really, because I am still having problems, I think with latency.

As SPOOKish says, it is blisteringly fast at times on websites with sufficient bandwidth. From iTunes it manages 4.25MBps.

But since I have had FTTC gaming has been erratic. I am not sure if it is my router, the wireless signal, my PS3, the game in question or the network I am on (Entanet). As SPOOK says, I am approximately 6 KM from my exchange but only a couple of hundred metres from my cabinet. I get 8ms ping during the evening, but during the day the BQM below shows strange readings. And it looks like this with all devices disconnected and switched off.

During the day the speed has also been dropping from almost 38 down and 8.5 up, to 4 down and 2.5 up. This is definitely contention on the Entanet side of things. I am planning to network the whole of my home in the very near future, but tomorrow I will connect via a long patch lead and see what difference it makes. I will post the result tomorrow. The link below has been posted here many times before, but it is exactly what is happening to me at the moment.

It's certainly not what I expected from FTTC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HRtdHmXEjs&feature=y...

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.

Live BQM

FTTC - Aquiss Business 45
37.7Mbps Downstream
8.45Mbps Upstream
7ms Ping

Edited by mrnelster (Sat 21-May-11 21:42:03)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to