Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 31-May-11 08:19:34
Print Post

MW3 monthly subscription ( Bobby strikes again )

[link to this post]

details are sketchy at the moment but those of us that know Activision and there CEO Bobby Kotick , knew as soon as dedicated servers where added , a monthly subscription would follow .

Not actually sure there going to get away with this with the majority of COD players , it might be that one money grab to far and with BF3 looking amazing , its shaping up to be the most interesting November for FPS ever .

Consumers are used to paying $60 each for videogames that run on consoles like the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Now the publisher behind the industry's biggest videogame franchise— "Call of Duty"—is about to find out whether it can get them to pay a monthly bill, too.

Activision Blizzard Inc. plans to launch an online service called Call of Duty Elite this fall that will work with the next major edition of the game, "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3," and future installments of the hyper-realistic combat-simulation game. In a move industry executives describe as a first, Activision plans to charge a monthly subscription fee for the service, which will provide extra content that isn't offered on game discs sold in stores, including downloadable map packs that give players new "Call of Duty" levels to play.

Activision executives said they haven't yet figured out how much to charge for the service, but they expect the cost to be less than fees for comparable online-entertainment services, such as a $7.99-a-month Netflix Inc. movie subscription. Portions of the service will be free, including features inspired by Facebook Inc. that will let "Call of Duty" players meet for online gun battles with others who share various affiliations and interests.

good article http://www.1up.com/news/call-of-duty-elite-long-rumo... speculating on what the elite subscription might include but it looks hopefully that online multiplayer is staying free for now .

Vivaciti MurphX LLU
Standard User Tox_Laximus
(member) Tue 31-May-11 09:39:51
Print Post

Re: MW3 monthly subscription ( Bobby strikes again )

[re: woweebert] [link to this post]

Sign me up, no wait, they can get stuffed.

In reply to a post by Zen:
We don't sell pork pies?
Standard User Jaxx281
(member) Tue 31-May-11 09:46:20
Print Post

Whaaaaa? That's ridiculous! I will definitely be boycotting COD then, I will wait until I can get it for £25 or something just to do the campaign, BF3 FTW by the looks of it!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Tue 31-May-11 09:56:56
Print Post

[re: Tox_Laximus] [link to this post]

I think on a personal level that would be the straw that broke the camels back and there is no way on earth i would be paying a monthly subscription to play COD even though i am looking forward to both MW3 and BF3 .
Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Tue 31-May-11 10:06:37
Print Post

Buy the game then pay to play it????
Erm no thanks they can stick that where the sun doesn't shine smirk

=TLP=Swanny
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 31-May-11 10:16:15
Print Post

[re: Lt_Swan] [link to this post]

well WoW gets away with it but you can`t compare I suppose crazy How would this work with xbox live? I`m sure as hell not paying extra on top of my live sub!! TBH I`m never even on my 360 these days, but the game most interesting is BF3, will see nearer the time if its a keeper.

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User Jaxx281
(member) Tue 31-May-11 10:36:46
Print Post

[re: MrGrumpy] [link to this post]

WoW is different though, they couldn't support millions of gamers just from the purchase of the game with all the systems required. Plus, if you're a WoW player you most likely don't play many other games so don't resent paying the £9 per month because it's all you fork out whereas an Xbox player with pay the £6 per month subscription plus buy games reuglarly.

I assume this monthly fee will just be for the dedicated server part and things like that, but COD is becoming such a cash cow with the downloadable content and now monthly subs that I really have lost faith in the franchise.

Standard User mrnelster
(committed) Tue 31-May-11 22:03:55
Print Post

[re: Jaxx281] [link to this post]

I assume this monthly fee will just be for the dedicated server part...

It plays [censored] at the best of times. I'm certainly not gonna pay extra for something that other titles manage for free.

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.

Live BQM

FTTC - Aquiss Business 45
37.7Mbps Downstream
8.45Mbps Upstream
7ms Ping
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 31-May-11 22:50:25
Print Post

Well i doubt that they would get away with trying this with the pc gamer, not a chance, You buy the game ,it should not cost you anything else to play it online and the support should be included,that should include patches and any additional maps for the game
If they don't then they conned you,

Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 01-Jun-11 06:51:21
Print Post

OK the big MW3 Elite sell has started with the big Elite video reveal http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded...

Still not clear what the Elite monthly subscription is going to get you (or not ) over not paying a Elite monthly subscription .

And just for the record , I'm not pre ordering MW3 until i know exactly why and what , about there latest money grab , thing is I'm not in a position to be able to subscribed to a new monthly payment , as i like many others are finding paying my bills difficult enough as it is .

Everything has to have VFM tag or cant do with out Bobby .

Vivaciti MurphX LLU
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to