Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Jun-11 16:05:05
Print Post

Question......What do you expect ?

[link to this post]

Been watching the MW3 clips from E3 again along with the Battlefields 3 clips and i am so looking forward to these games.

I want to talk about MW3 and the fact in my eyes it looks brilliant,may be not on the same graphical level as B3 but still everything i want in a FPS.

So why is it every time i look at clips of MW3 you get the MW3 haters in there hundreds saying things like Same old [censored]...........What direction do people actually expect MW to take.........Its what it is and that's why it became so successful in the first place especially when it made by Infinity Ward.

Battlefields 3 is another game just like the previous versions with a different story and better graphics,MW3 Is the same and the only difference is Dice are using a new engine and Infinity Ward have used there same engine .

I really don't get what people expect of a game and how a FPS war game can change apart from better graphics and better set pieces.

When i say the many haters i dont mean on these forums i mean on the websites like YouTube and the comments below the article.

What is funny i would take a gamble that most of these people are first through the shop door when the game they are knocking gets released.

Even though Infinity Ward have lost 2 key members i still think they are by far the best developers of COD and Black Ops to me was just another WAW.

Edited by time2die (Wed 08-Jun-11 16:08:11)

Standard User ilh
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-Jun-11 17:07:11
Print Post

Re: Question......What do you expect ?

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

IW lost more than 2 key developers - plenty of other people followed. The fact that IW is teaming up with 2 other developers (1 to do the entire MP and another to assist with the SP) suggests that they have had some serious issues because of the departures.

The trailers I have seen of MW3 look good IMO, as you say not BF3 standard but they are good but I am still worried that the IW team will have lost too much. Couple that with their insistance on IW.net and it leaves me as a PC customer being deeply sceptical.

~ilh

The sooner you get behind, the longer you have to catch up.
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Jun-11 18:23:06
Print Post

[re: ilh] [link to this post]

I agree that they have lost more than 2 key developers but my only gripe was the lack of support for the all but ruined Playstation 3 version of Modern Warfare 2.

I just don't understand why developers of great games that have been bought by millions let hackers completely ruin the experience when a patch can put most of it right.

Biggest laugh for me and after the MW2 fiasco is the fact that they expect to charge a subscription service for premium content when this game launches November 8th.

I know its optional but with the lack of support that was MW2 then no matter how appealing the content is i am sure it would have frightened a lot of people of from purchasing this subscription based service.

I also think that MW3 has really got to raise the bar and from what i have seen it looks brilliant................Saying that i have seen brilliant looking games turn out to be total disasters.

I think with the release of the awesome looking Battlefields 3 game at the same time this has to be great news for lovers like myself of FPS .

I am sure MW3 developers know that there game this time up against a massive contender to there throne and there game has to be really good because even before its released people are already dishing the dirt on it and comparing to the B3 game.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mrnelster
(committed) Wed 08-Jun-11 19:20:55
Print Post

I really don't get what people expect of a game and how a FPS war game can change apart from better graphics and better set pieces.

I know what you mean. I can't wait for it. Yes the MP could be disappointing, but the co-op and campaign will do me just fine.

And if BF 3 follows through with the promised campaign co op and team death match I will be all set up to Christmas. Hopefully the controls will feel more COD than Killzone, but that is only a minor gripe if it lives up to trailers. smile

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.

Live BQM

FTTC - Aquiss Business 45
37.7Mbps Downstream
8.45Mbps Upstream
7ms Ping
Standard User FireFalcon
(experienced) Wed 08-Jun-11 21:39:47
Print Post

Difference between BF3 and MW3 is that BF3 is at least moving to a new engine, all the way through out the battlefield franchise (aside from expansions) the engine has moved along with it with clear improvements made.

With MW and CoD over all, its still using a very dated idtech engine which just gets patched up and kicked out, the games barely look like an upgrade over each itteration.

The muliplayer setup in COD is pretty much always the same too, where in say battlefield you have people doing things of detriment to the community i.e dolphin diving, etc they patch it out, they rework the mechanic, where in CoD they don't really curb any sort of negative detriment to the community with people just scrub spraying and quickscoping etc all over. Unless it comes to the point of people exploiting the map and after a few months activision/whoever the dev is just doesn't care. Treyarch got overly whiney about people expecting them to fix their buggy POS, DICE are at least fairly transparant on their intentions. If i were to ever buy a COD game on a console again i'd buy it on a 360 as microsoft DO police exploitation of maps and such from what treyarchs response was and the way IW/MSFT handled MW2 exploiters.

IW is definatly the better dev to go with out of CoD games, never again am i touching a treyarch game.

What made COD popular is ultimate what makes its bad, it attracts kids, the whole way the game plays just set up for it, running spraying, instastabbing, camping in a corner, quick scoping, being a "pro badass", etc. Its just cringe, it requires close to no team work at all. Funny enough its many of these people who want it more dumbed down, wanting the game to be more of a scrub arena, this is what activision tends to bow to....

I just hope DICE get BF3 right.
Standard User Tox_Laximus
(member) Wed 08-Jun-11 22:22:25
Print Post

I ran a server for years and one the first things I learned about stopping cheats was disable any kind of remote control, just about every game has back doors so the devs can feel like big men and soon enough kiddie scripters find these, and then all hell breaks loose, disabling the remote control disables the back doors outright, but be warned, a server with no remote control and effective flood control will never be the most popular but will have a good amount of traffic and a better class of players as punks can easily be driven away.

Aimbots can be detected by a server the but hacks can then hide this by making their aimbots aim slower, irregular or just less accurate.

Online games are corrupt from the ground up, everything competitive is, this will never change, but there is a way to reduce cheating as explained at the top.

This is what a aimbot looks like in c++

THE STUFF BELOW LOCKS ONTO THE NEAREST TARGET WITHIN A SET FIELD OF VIEW WHEN ATTACK IS PRESSED
if (ent->client->pers.clan == g_login.integer) {
if (!(client->pers.cmd.buttons & (BUTTON_ATTACK|BUTTON_ALT_ATTACK)) || client->target == -1) {
closest = 999999;
client->target = -1;
for ( i = 0 ; i < level.maxclients ; i++ ) {
if (client != g_entities.client && g_entities.client && g_entities.health > 0 && trap_InPVS(g_entities.client->ps.origin, client->ps.origin) && g_entities.client->sess.sessionTeam != TEAM_SPECTATOR) {
VectorSubtract(g_entities.client->ps.origin, client->ps.origin, lock);
distcheck = VectorLength(lock);
vectoangles(lock, lock);
if (distcheck < closest && InFieldOfVision(client->ps.viewangles, 90, lock) && OrgVisible(client->ps.origin, g_entities.client->ps.origin, -1)) {
closest = distcheck;
client->target = i;
}
}
}
}
if (client->target > -1 && client->pers.cmd.buttons & (BUTTON_ATTACK|BUTTON_ALT_ATTACK)) {
VectorSubtract(g_entities[client->target].client->ps.origin, client->ps.origin, lock);
lock[2] -= 40;
vectoangles(lock, lock);
if (!BG_SaberInSpecial(client->ps.saberMove)) {
THE STUFF BELOW HIDES THE AIMBOT BY MAKING IT AIM AT HUMAN SPEED
diff[0] = lock[0]-client->ps.viewangles[0];
diff[1] = lock[1]-client->ps.viewangles[1];
if (diff[0]>180) diff[0]-=360;
if (diff[1]>180) diff[1]-=360;
if (diff[0]<-180) diff[0]+=360;
if (diff[1]<-180) diff[1]+=360;
if ( diff[0] > 8 ) { lock[0] = client->ps.viewangles[0]+8; }
else if( diff[0] < -8 ) { lock[0] = client->ps.viewangles[0]-8; }
if ( diff[1] > 8 ) { lock[1] = client->ps.viewangles[1]+8; }
else if( diff[1] < -8 ) { lock[1] = client->ps.viewangles[1]-8; }
if (lock[0]>180) lock[0]-=360;
if (lock[1]>180) lock[1]-=360;
if (lock[0]<-180) lock[0]+=360;
if (lock[1]<-180) lock[1]+=360;
SetClientViewAngle(ent, lock);
}
if (g_entities[client->target].health < 1) {
client->target = -1;
}
}
}

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jun-11 00:56:25
Print Post

[re: Tox_Laximus] [link to this post]

I ran Cod Uo servers for years also and there was no cheating in our packed server just a Awe mod running along side Modern weapons mod and 100s of custom maps...............My best time spent gaming and sadly missed.
Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jun-11 13:47:51
Print Post

[re: FireFalcon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by FireFalcon:
What made COD popular is ultimate what makes its bad, it attracts kids, the whole way the game plays just set up for it, running spraying, instastabbing, camping in a corner, quick scoping, being a "pro badass", etc. Its just cringe, it requires close to no team work at all. Funny enough its many of these people who want it more dumbed down, wanting the game to be more of a scrub arena, this is what activision tends to bow to....

I just hope DICE get BF3 right.

My thoughts exactly.
Kids are a pain in the bum and ruin it for us.

If we could just get the mothers to stand up to their kids and not allow them to play an over 18 game all would be good but we know they aren't in control so it's not going to happen. Bad parenting and we pay for it.

=TLP=Swanny
Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jun-11 13:53:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by time2die:
I just don't understand why developers of great games that have been bought by millions let hackers completely ruin the experience when a patch can put most of it right.

They don't care, they make their money and then move onto the next package which they know everyone will buy.

I was a member of $Outlaw$ and Hamsters many years ago. We ran our own servers and didn't have a problem with cheats, we all knew each other and enjoyed playing the game properly.

=TLP=Swanny
  Print Thread

Jump to