Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User e102gamma
(committed) Tue 05-Jul-11 20:40:24
Print Post

How GTA IV should have looked

[link to this post]

These | clips show a really great graphics mod for the PC edition of GTA IV. An old game but it looks pretty stunning. Blame Fraps for the stuttering. laugh

Makes you realise the compromises that have to be made for consoles and how much they're harming graphics development. Also makes me want to finally install my copy of the game. x)

Edited by e102gamma (Tue 05-Jul-11 20:46:18)

Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 05-Jul-11 21:12:00
Print Post

Re: How GTA IV should have looked

[re: e102gamma] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by e102gamma:
These | clips show a really great graphics mod for the PC edition of GTA IV. An old game but it looks pretty stunning. Blame Fraps for the stuttering. laugh

Makes you realise the compromises that have to be made for consoles and how much they're harming graphics development. Also makes me want to finally install my copy of the game. x)
Publishers of games don't give a stuff about the pc gamer, we are not as profitable as the console kids, sad but that's how they see it, hence why they design a game for consoles and then port it for the pc ,we get second best, when the pc is far superior to any console

Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Wed 06-Jul-11 01:13:17
Print Post

That looks great. More than one mod being used though? Shall have to take a proper look at GTA4-Mods.com myself. I still have GTA4 installed but I wonder which version I've got as they say not to use the latest as it won't work properly:

It works perfectly on 1.0.4.0 GTA 4 PATCH
It works horribly on 1.0.6.0/1.0.7.0 PATCH

Also, users of NVidia GF8800, high end from GF2xx series and most from GF4xx, GF5xx graphics card had better watch out and check their cooling is good as the mod forces them to overheat (for some reason or other). It's all in their 'You better' read me which comes with the 2.8meg download. wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User FireFalcon
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Jul-11 03:59:19
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

Hmmm wonder why it would mess with their fan control :|, that would have me suspicious.
Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Wed 06-Jul-11 06:26:27
Print Post

[re: FireFalcon] [link to this post]

Dunno but the full text from the read me says:

This version uses the 0.082 DLL as a base
Which means :

Overheating of videocards NVidia GF8800, high end from GF2xx series and most from GF4xx, GF5xx

Be careful.

No one is responsible if you have any hardware problems.
Just try to avoid overheating using a better fan.

If you results some artefacts , bugs , everything going all blue , and massive slowdown for
no reasons.

Stop playing.

Do you reckon that DLL thing is some sort of instruction for such graphics cards to stress themselves out doing things their architecture wasn't maybe up to the task in normal circumstances (hence why they'd get hot and need more cooling)?

I have no idea what a 0.082 DLL is. Dynamic Link Library thing to do with gpu instructions? That's my best guess.
Standard User FireFalcon
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Jul-11 07:42:41
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

I would guess it has instructions which aren't exactly well done, from reading about it seems to do with memory and corruption, if true its not just nvidia gpus its also ati's who need to watch out. There seems to be quite a few lighting issues with this release anyway so for anyone who plans on trying it wait it out abit.
Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Wed 06-Jul-11 17:24:36
Print Post

Yeah, safe thing to do. Wouldn't wanna fry anything. laugh

Wonder which mods are safe to use then? Should take a look someday. For now, I am getting more and more engrossed in Borderlands. It's not a bad game at all in many ways. Just done a load of claptrap missions and fought the biggest end level boss ever. That was pretty cool even if the little robots are bleedin' annoying!
Standard User e102gamma
(committed) Wed 06-Jul-11 20:40:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by FireFalcon:
Hmmm wonder why it would mess with their fan control :|, that would have me suspicious.

It's down to buggy drivers and/or insufficient cooling. It may be that the mod is putting load on a particular part of the GPU that isn't being monitored, so failing to spin up the fan. I remember reading about the issue with other games, often in menus and with vsync disabled. No game could be responsible for something like that directly.

ATI/AMD don't have the same issues.

Edited by e102gamma (Wed 06-Jul-11 20:41:29)

Standard User FireFalcon
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Jul-11 21:01:32
Print Post

Actually ati/amd gpus did have the same issue with games with the menu issue, it made any card just max itself rendering the menu causing overheat.

Considering AMD gpus generally run hotter, and pretty much every card these days has a similar fan setup, i again doubt its purely down to nvidia and pretty much every card of theirs in recent times.

Anyway as i said, reading abit deeper into it it comes down to memory corruption.
  Print Thread

Jump to