Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mrnelster
(experienced) Thu 07-Jul-11 06:26:52
Print Post

MW3

[link to this post]

One thing that is surely on the minds of potential customers for Modern Warfare 3 and Call of Duty Elite is the question of basic net-code and hit-detection issues that have remained unfixed standards in the COD series as well as many other online multiplayer shooters this generation.

http://m.examiner.com/examiner/pm_60823/contentdetai...

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.

Live BQM

FTTC - Aquiss Business 45
37.7Mbps Downstream
8.45Mbps Upstream
7ms Ping
Standard User mrnelster
(experienced) Thu 07-Jul-11 06:40:56
Print Post

Re: MW3

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

http://www.planetxbox360.com/article_15270/Five_Reas...

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.

Live BQM

FTTC - Aquiss Business 45
37.7Mbps Downstream
8.45Mbps Upstream
7ms Ping
Standard User FireFalcon
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Jul-11 07:59:21
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

Those are reasons?

5 - Fast paced action... Not really, single player is just move up vs endlessly spawning guards and waiting for shots to move up on, multi is spam LB + RB with a bit of crouch and prone ASSUMING you play spray and aim assist where you are more likely to find a campfest which isn't fast paced at all. Casual shooter? Oxymoron, not saying every FPS should be played hardcore 24/7 none stop tournaments, simply that you can play any game on any platform "casually", COD is just lazy and scrubby.

4 - Set pieces? I can partially credit but compared to what? its some what prematurely moot. Want to vs against previous battlefields? Sure, you the player make your set pieces, nothing like a black hawk loaded with friends swing it in above a cap point to cap yourself a point with tanks which a couple of your teammates then take and ride over the hills to stomp another point with you and remaining friends gunning out of the black hawk suppressing the point and covering friends in tanks from opposition AT and air support and when all looks grim a commanders artillery strike ensuring that last second on the capture and a buggy drop to get you out of there in time. etc, every BF2 player can tell you an amazing story on how teammate and vehicle support came together to form something action film worthy. CoD? like 1 scene out of a game which is attempting to play like a film.

3 - Framerate... oh dear lets not get started

2 - Publicity, is this even a good thing? I point to MW2 and black ops, the topics that existed on these very forums and many more around, *hype* *hype* *hype* *release* *disappointment* *wait on patch* *preowned bin*, not to mention the negative publicity which gets hoovered in too like say short campaigns, bad net code, annoying features, activisions ignorance/refusal to listen to customers, look at the recent tears from treyarch "wahh gamers dont know a good thing our game isnt broken".

1 - Recognisability, partially a credit as all the console kids and folk alike will be all over it, but again like above, is this a good thing? I'd say its recognised for the wrong things, namely everything thats wrong with online gaming in recent years, its the epitome of the downfall.

Most of the dudes arguments lie on "wahh i dont has good pc", he overly pimps what spec BF3 will require, and sure whilst it will probably be heavy, its unlikely to be so heavy every pc gamer will be made to go buy a new pc just for it, as shakey as DICE are with new releases im sure their optimisation will be good enough that ample PC's can run it just fine and still have it looking and running fantastic. GTA4 was hailed as been a bad port, personally i say its only true requirement is a quad core processor which again IMO should be standard for any gaming PC, they dont really cost that much more over a dual (at the time gta4 was around a Q6600 was only 20-50 more over a Q8300 which still did gta well but you really noticed the improvement on a quad), but when you got GTA4 running on a reasonable rig with the pieces in the right place? ran much better than consoles, much much better. What if that dude did have a pimped to the nth dimension PC? Would his opinion change the other way? Because on the PC side of the fence COD stands for garbage and BF franchise whilst controversial stands tall as one of the defining FPS's amongst others like quake/tf/UT etc as being unrivalled on consoles, even console ports or versions fall flat compared to their predecessors.

Personally i'm sitting back from all the hype train and news slinging between EA and Acti, news (good and bad) on battlefield and mw3, i already know both games will disappoint in aspects and excel in others, whilst im skipping cod and picking bf3 and am ultimately more interested in bf3, i really can't be bothered with all of this really but its articles like that which just make me think *facepalm* someone needs to catch up and pay attention for a supposed "journalist".

Edited by FireFalcon (Thu 07-Jul-11 08:06:57)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Thu 07-Jul-11 17:11:24
Print Post

[re: FireFalcon] [link to this post]

Can't argue with that Falcon.

My own feelings are the guy is totally biased and talking out of his backside. EA and Activision are both renowned for their marketing hype and tv advertising.

As for difficulty becoming familiar with a game series and the differences between COD online play and that of Battlefield, is he having a laugh? I personally find the concept of controlling a number of points on a map quite easy as I am sure 99.9999999999% of other games players do. What could be simpler than driving a tank or jeep or flying a helo to a flag and waiting for it to change to your teams' colours? I was completely confused and put off by all the silly perks and other stuff in CODMW online so much that I never even got into it, I know I'll be a minority but that guy is so wrong in my mind.

Totally agree about the 'set piece moment' thing, there's nothing quite like pulling off a nice combined tactical effort to take down a well defended point and capture it for your squad.

It's arguments about frame rate that do the most damage to that guy's arguments about which yet unreleased game will have the better online experience. Who does he think he's kidding writing all that claptrap about "likely" game optimisation differences - doesn't he release yet that games for consoles are dumbed down deliberately so people can play them using a control pad. His beloved Xbox 360 will be 6 years old in November when MW3 and BF3 are to be released. It's crazy to expect any modern game coming out now to be using such old hardware. I think back then I had just switched from AMD to Intel's Core 2 Duo technology and had my first dual core processor twinned with a Geforce 7950 GT or whatever it was. Things have moved on quiet a bit since then so why would you be looking forward to a game that's presumably been optimised to maintain a higher than strictly required frame rate at the expense of graphical innovations? If EA released a version of BF3 for the console that played at 5 frames per second or whatnot they'd be castigated by the gaming press and would lose consumer confidence to such an extent their share value would drop like a stone and they know it so it ain't gonna happen. I guess that might be why BF3 compared to the PC version will be scaled back from 64 player map sizes to just 24.

If the author wasn't apparently so ignorant of why people play games like Battlefield 2 etc then I'd have said his article was nothing but flame bait designed to increase his site's traffic. But I don't see any evidence of guile hidden there so expect he was just dumb. As for the whole MW3 vs BF3 thing and you have to buy one or the other argument, are you serious? It's just tabloid style journalism - totally shameless and mindless. Most avid gamers into these types of shooters will clearly buy both at some time even if they initially have to choose one over the other due to financial considerations. I will wait and see but I also expect not to be buying MW3 on day one. BF3 though, now that's a different matter. tongue
  Print Thread

Jump to