Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jul-11 19:20:22
Print Post

Battlefield 3......Im Not Convinced?

[link to this post]

The more i see the less impressed i feel..........More Alpha Footage

Dont know if its a naff video or the fact its Alpha code but it looks like it runs extremly slow with a laggy feel to the look of the game.

Its early days and i may be nit picking but im more pumped for MW3 so far.wink

Edited by time2die (Thu 21-Jul-11 19:22:18)

Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Thu 21-Jul-11 22:31:54
Print Post

Re: Battlefield 3......Im Not Convinced?

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Me too. That looked naff in the main part.

It wasn't helped by the overly high contrast - you couldn't make out the dark shadows and as for graphics, blurgh!

What's with using a sniper rifle like that? Running around as if it was a shoot-from-the-hip one shot assault rifle and downing people with no recoil or anything. In the other video I linked to, you could see how it took 3 or 4 shots to bring someone down with a sniper rifle from afar.

There was a total lack of destructability of environment in that console version segment of video. The APC ought to have been able to plough through so much of that scenery (or at least damage it) it was daft.

And then there's the total mimicry of MW it was just wasn't funny. DICE should stick to doing Battlefield games not copy MW's formula. If we want to play MW we'll buy MW3. My worst fears confirmed. Don't dumb BF down!! I feel like screaming at DICE. I bet the PC version will be a bodged up port too and take months or years (like Crysis 2) to finally get higher res textures or even any proper DX11 support.

All they're doing is copying Modern Warfare. So disappointed.

On the brighter side, at least it is only alpha footage but that doesn't excuse the blatant MW rip off gameplay. Defusing? Where's the flags man? Where's the squad/commander rose? That map looked pretty ropey really. A lot of the foliage was extremely one dimensional and completely inexcusable in this day and age. Do they think they are programming for the PS2 or something?

The other players acted like AI in the main, that is completely dumb and oblivious to danger. I hated those animations right towards the end. What's with the stupid rag doll flying into the air effect with that guy getting shot by an automatic rifle? He wasn't being blown apart by high explosives or RPG'd or something. And why the gratuitous 'being knifed' animation? Not what I wanna see when someone has pulled off a knife kill on me really.

Yeah, there were moments of slow down that indicated the hardware was struggling to maintain a decent framerate. Those graphics were largely naff too. No destructability in sight (well apart from the ridiculous trees wholly uprooting themselves and unrealistically floating down to the ground like that after being grenaded.

Well, forgive me for being so negative. This doesn't feel like Battlefield to me at all. Hopefully DICE will produce a finer product towards release date or at least continue to patch the game and provide a much better multiplayer experience after release. Bah humbug.
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Jul-11 00:00:21
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

The knife kills were hilarious as there was not one spec of Blood.don't know if this was console footage or what but it does not say to me ....Oh My God i must pre/order this.

When watching the first PC shots of the single player game i was blown away but after seeing various footage of multi player part of the game it fails to inspire.

I am hoping the finished product reproduces some of that shine from the single player part of the game reproduced in the Multi player because after all most buy FPS for the online mode and not single player................

As Odd Ball said in Kelly's Heroes..............Have a little faith baby,have a little faith........................Mines fading fast tongue

Edited by time2die (Fri 22-Jul-11 00:03:01)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Fri 22-Jul-11 00:12:39
Print Post

Kelly's Heroes, my dad's favourite film. wink Donald Sutherland was great in that.

Can't remember seeing any blood in BF2 actually. Strange how I never even noticed its absence. I like a bit of gore. Not excessive but realistic blood and some nice guts and bits of skull and brain tissue scattered about would be nice. tongue

If it wasn't for the amazing single player footage that first came out and the 3 or 4 months or whatever it's gonna take to finish the game before it's released, I'd have seriously considered cancelling my preorder.

Sigh. Can't anybody release a decent game sequel anymore?
Standard User Gzero
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 22-Jul-11 01:24:58
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

Soldier of Fortune 4 would be nice. Not the abomination that was SoF3. I thought BF3 would be a rubbish cash, hence why they are hammering the pre order side.
Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Fri 22-Jul-11 02:42:28
Print Post

[re: Gzero] [link to this post]

Funny, I was thinking of SoF2 when I wrote that about blood and guts. Fond memories of dismembering enemy corpses I still have today. laugh

Never played SoF 3 tho... one to avoid then!
Standard User Zadeks
(member) Fri 22-Jul-11 02:59:49
Print Post

It's a bad capture & poor encode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhBjBy5OOFY&feature=f... (1080p) shows what it should look like.
Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Fri 22-Jul-11 04:18:02
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Well, that looks a bit better. Still don't like the way it resembles the more arcadey MW ranchise though.
Standard User FireFalcon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 22-Jul-11 04:38:16
Print Post

EA is ultra conservative over blood in their games, in BF2 there wasn't much blood either, their scared of ratings boards that or its awaiting another pass where it'd be added.

Either way the only thing holding me off battlefield 3 is EA's constant bullshittery with Origin, i really DO NOT like that service, theyre going the no steam route? i think i might just pass it cause of their arrogance.

You want to know what takes the [censored] about origin? after 2 years of you not playing a game they delete it, its gone, no longer available for you to play, you have to rebuy.
Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Fri 22-Jul-11 04:57:52
Print Post

[re: FireFalcon] [link to this post]

Can't see any mention of deleting games you've already paid for but not played in 2 years on EA's Origin site. Can you link me?

It's not mentioned in their ToS.

crazy

After using the original EA download service for when Northern Strike came out for BF2142 and all the problems I had with that I never wanted to use a download service from EA again, especially when they later announced you had a maximum number of times to download something you'd paid for.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to