Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Jul-11 15:00:32
Print Post

Turtle Beach PX5...Time2dies Review ? Just For SPOOKISH

[link to this post]

Turtle Beach PX5 first impressions tested only on my PlayStation 3 and not yet on my 360 but i doubt there will be much difference...

Lets Start on the negative points and reasons that some if not the majority will not purchase a set of these cans.

Price £170 to £200 depend on where you buy them.

Took 20 seconds to put together as it was just the one optical cable from the digital out on the PlayStation 3 to the digital in on the receiver........Easy Peasy wink

To look at they are quite nice but they don't look as trendy as my Logitech F540 and they look more shiny black plastic than my F540 grey ones.

Don't get me wrong they do not look rubbish but i would have expected something a little more streamlined if you get the picture.

Lets get on to the important things and that is comfort on the ears and the most important thing the way the sound.

I will say as soon as soon as i put them around my head they felt lovely Jubbly and really far more comfortable on my ears than my previous Logitech pair.

Now following the instruction i was prompted to hold the power on button on the side of the headset which is followed by a voice command [Sounds like the girlfriend]

There are many different buttons on both sides of the headset so its difficult to be pressing this and that at the moment while they are attached to my head until i get time to work out the configuration and feel comfortable knowing what is what and where all the buttons are by feel alone..

So time to test the sound out and thought i would have to go straight into the Playstation menu and configure this and that but nothing of the sort.

What follows is for me the most important factor and why i am well chuffed with this headset........................The sound quality when testing the game Dead Nation was amazing,and the presets loaded on the headset certainly changed the way the game sounded.

Volume is another plus point because this set certainly had far more power than my logitech F540 and there was no way i could have the volume control on to high a setting as there was no need ,what i do like is the fact that that volume power is there if required and i reckon even on half volume they sounded louder than the F540 on full throttle.

So at the end of the day the most important aspects of this PX5 for most would be comfort and Sound and they certainly have exceeded my expectations there and on that fact alone to me these are all that's required for some serious nights gaming.

I look forward to Battlefields 3,MW3 and Dead Island so i can really enjoy these in all there glory.

Can also visit the Turtle Beach Websites and download more presets for the PlayStation 3 that only ships with 8 with the 360 shipping with 16 [don't ask me why]

This was only a 5 minute test out so i am sorry to disappoint those STUFF and T3 fanatics as its just a quick opinion on my initial thoughts and impressions and i'm chuffed to bits with the feel and sound quality that's for certain.

Anyone thinking about getting a decent headset should seriously consider this PX5 because i tell you now i am not easily pleased with most things game related but from the short amount of time testing these then i don't think i need to upgrade for quite a few years.

SPOOK...............have not tested the fact that you can play music from your iPhone while gaming and answering the phone,also have not been online and tested the various Chat settings.

Now of to The websites USB and headset attached to PC to download whats on offer regarding other presets......................Time2die wink

Edited by time2die (Thu 28-Jul-11 15:03:43)

Standard User Gzero
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Jul-11 17:35:59
Print Post

Re: Turtle Beach PX5...Time2dies Review ? Just For SPOOKISH

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Now go play BC2, oh wait... tongue

Go watch a vid of BC2 and tell me what it sounds like through your new shiny headphones!
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Jul-11 18:19:40
Print Post

[re: Gzero] [link to this post]

Think i will wait Gzero for the latest Battlefield game even though i have a Xbox 360 version knocking around the house somewhere.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Gzero
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 28-Jul-11 23:12:03
Print Post

Still can't believe you bought a pair of headphones just as pricey as an Xbox itself. crazy

I'm not a complete audiophile though, I'm happy with my £10 Microsoft Lifechat lx3000 headset even if it starts to rub my ears after a while. laugh
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-Jul-11 00:26:21
Print Post

[re: Gzero] [link to this post]

If its associated with gaming and its suppose to be good and next generation quality i'm normally first in the queue wink
Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Fri 29-Jul-11 18:46:10
Print Post

Wow, a review specially commissioned just for ickle ol' me!

Thanks pal. wink

Well, I am glad you are happy with them, comfort and sound quality being majorly satisfied by the looks of things.

Highly configurable too? Those buttons are not too fiddly or delicate, are they?

One of the things I was most interested in was the surround sound aspect and whether they truly aided your awareness of what was going on around you? Could you more easily tell where a particular sound was coming from? And, when it comes to footsteps and enemies creeping up behind you, can you isolate them better? Presently, the only way I can tell if an enemy's behind me is if my health bar takes a major battering!

So many features, I'm not surprised it'll take you a while to go through them all. Thanks for the review, T2D. Very much appreciated. Let us know how you get on with them and if you can battle test them for us and see if they make a difference with regards to directional surround sound that would be nice.

I imagine they would be awesome for Dead Island, eh? All those zombies clawing at you from all sides. Eek. You could easily tell exactly where they were and give them a nice chop to the head with whatever you're holding at the time. tongue
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-Jul-11 20:22:46
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

There are 8 presets loaded and i have played a little Black ops and they sound really cool,not really concentrated on the Footstep setting as its hard to relate to what number each preset is............When you click the push button you just get a ladies voice calling out Number 1 ,Number 2 etc.

The only real way of knowing what is the setting you require would be to write down each preset and number.

All these can be tinkered with on your PC and then uploaded to your headset,so basically you can do away with what the headset is pre loaded with and make your own.

I could not see a sound test in the program to actually test out the sound after you have made alterations but it may be hidden away somewhere.

Imagine having to keep connecting the headset and changing presets and then running downstairs to test out Black Ops but not happy with what you have changed.

I'm really not that worried about the footstep thing anyway Spook just the general comfort and sound quality.

Obviously i have not really tested them like my previous F540 but they feel way more cozy on the old Lugs matey wink

The actual program you install from Turtle Beach Website is a little confusing at the moment but i guess practice makes perfect.

Shame i can not get you to invest in a console mate and a spot of Dead Island as i am sure we would have had many hours of fun Zombie Bashing.............So i take it you will be buying it for your PC then mateysmile
  Print Thread

Jump to