Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Xanity
(newbie) Thu 18-Aug-11 18:09:19
Print Post

uPnP - BFBC2 vs MW2 .. Blah

[link to this post]

I use the Thomson 585v7 Router

Bad Company 2 needs uPnP to be disabled, otherwise I get disconnected every 10 minutes.

Modern Warfare 2 needs uPnP to be enabled though, otherwise my "NAT Type" is strict, and I get issues finding hosts (servers) etc...

Is there a work around to this? What can I do to be able to play both freely without having to change uPnP constantly

Regards
Standard User NuttyMucker
(member) Thu 18-Aug-11 18:20:16
Print Post

Re: uPnP - BFBC2 vs MW2 .. Blah

[re: Xanity] [link to this post]

Hi. Have you tried forwarding your ports?

Have a look at portforward.com

Standard User Xanity
(newbie) Thu 18-Aug-11 18:25:20
Print Post

[re: NuttyMucker] [link to this post]

No I havent, what are you suggesting, leave uPnP off and forward ports for MW2 to make the NAT Type open? If that works that would be great

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User GMAN98
(committed) Thu 18-Aug-11 18:28:06
Print Post

Not sure why BC2 needs it disabled we are talking Xbox right? If so set it up like this:- http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/faqs/62-my-na...

Same router just rebadged
(member) Thu 18-Aug-11 18:44:38
Print Post

Try this.

BFBC2

and this

MW2

I am assuming these are both for xbox. I cant understand why you are required to disable upnp.

Are you running a wired or wireless setup? If its wireless try using a wired connection and see if that changes anything.

Good luck smile

Standard User Xanity
(newbie) Thu 18-Aug-11 18:44:52
Print Post

[re: GMAN98] [link to this post]

No we are talking PC
Just done all the port forwarding and NAT Type is still strict

I tried rebooting the router and restarting my PC, and NAT Type is still strict

I believe it is all about the uPnP, one game needs it on and one game needs it off frown
Standard User Xanity
(newbie) Thu 18-Aug-11 18:48:47
Print Post

I am Wired, and it was a known issue months ago with Bad Company 2.
A huge number of people playing the game on PC would get disconnected every 10-20 minutes, alot of those people had the Thomson 585v7 router (As that router seems to be the ISP's favourite choice to give away for free) and we all had uPnP enabled. Disabling uPnP solved the disconnect issue, so Ive had uPnP disabled all this time.
Now however, I am wanting to play abit of Modern Warfare 2, but that game requires uPnP for the whole hosting/peer2peer [censored].... So I have no idea what to do other than toggle uPnP on/off all the time depending what I want to play, which is annoying.

Not even months ago, I mean that was the solution to the issue like 1 year ago, within months of the games release date.

Edited by Xanity (Thu 18-Aug-11 18:50:55)

Standard User FireFalcon
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 18-Aug-11 18:53:56
Print Post

Turn UPnP off and put your console in a DMZ or portforwarding.

Basically UPnP is a method of automating port forwarding, it was designed to make it all simpler but i have nothing but issues with it, it never does what its meant to do.

By putting your console in a DMZ you are opening all ports to it, if you are port forwarding you only open what you select. If its a PS3 i'd advise DMZ cause theyre a mess of ports and such, if its a 360 you can do either, XBL only really uses 2-3ports.

Either way you need to assign your console a static IP address, you can do that from your consoles dashboard under network settings, once you've done that you access your routers configuration and either find the place to configure a DMZ, the option should be default dmz server or something similar, just stick the IP you gave your console into the default dmz box and apply.

I assume you are referring to a 360 since you are saying "strict/open NAT", http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwardi...
(member) Thu 18-Aug-11 18:56:03
Print Post

Sorry, Xbox in the head smile

Had a look at the EA forums regarding this. Strange that the upnp has to be disabled to stay connected to the game servers. I'm sure you have read these posts but just in case you haven't;

EA Stuff

Standard User Xanity
(newbie) Thu 18-Aug-11 19:05:28
Print Post

[re: NuttyMucker] [link to this post]

Yeah Ive read that, uPnP needs to be disabled for Bad Company 2

Still brings me to the brick wall because it needs to be enabled for Modern Warfare 2

Im not using a console FireFalcon and my Router doesnt let you use DMZ anyway

Edited by Xanity (Thu 18-Aug-11 19:05:49)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to