Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Tue 23-Aug-11 15:28:30
Print Post

Deus Ex: Human Revolution review

[link to this post]

Have yet to read it myself but I guess some more reviews are coming in for Deus Ex and this guy at Trusted Reviews is good so I reckon his opinion's sound.

Summing it all up:

Pros
All the freedom and choice you expect from Deus Ex
Superbly executed stealth and hacking gameplay
Hours of deep, immersive gameplay

Cons
Combat can be curiously unexciting
Graphics a mix of inspired motifs and dated tech
Takes a few hours to really get going

Overall
8/10

Don't like the sound of the cons: unexciting combat? :/ Takes a few hours to get going? That isn't a good omen for T2D, he'll be finished with it in 20 minutes tops then. wink
Standard User FireFalcon
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Aug-11 17:43:51
Print Post

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution review

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

I have no doubt T2D wont enjoy it, just doesnt strike his style, seems only CoD does these days.

Been reading/watching most of the reviews about, seems like solid review scores except from those who want CoD/fast paced shooter i.e gametrailers, they mark it down on backtracking, mark it down on how just shooting and running doesnt work, etc If you watch their review the dude dies tons of times, its almost as bad as their stalker SoC review.

Seems consoles have an issue with load times though
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Aug-11 23:33:35
Print Post

[re: FireFalcon] [link to this post]

Hey guys lay of that old guy Time2die with the fading eye sight and patience of a gnat............wink

I am desperate to go out and buy something new and i intend to actually give it a whirl this coming Friday..............

Looks really good in parts and not so good in others from what i have seen of all the video clips,kind of reminds me of Mass Effect to be honest which was a great game but i got a little bored with it as you two Admirers would expect laugh.

If i don't like it there is plenty of other games coming out in September so it will hold a £25 to £30 retail trade in value so its not really a big deal..............

Yep back playing MW2 and The new Toy Soldiers game which is excellent from the Xbox LIve summer of arcade that has now finished.

Last few months i have not been doing to much gaming for various reasons like ...................Its Summer,There are no game releases and nothing seems to hold my attention.......................I need Dead Island to really tide me over and i'm really hoping this hits the mark in a few weeks...................But i have some serious worries after that Call Of Juarez Cartel game basically got ripped to shreds by reviews and its the same developers and the same engine.

Body count was a contender and would have been my first game in a few months up until i played the demo and thought this is Bargain Bin contender of the year.

Yeah Falcon ,Spook my old friends COD does hold my attention more than most but i do like other games.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Aug-11 23:36:36
Print Post

Cons
Combat can be curiously unexciting
Graphics a mix of inspired motifs and dated tech
Takes a few hours to really get going

Have to say Spook that the cons you listed above dont really inspire a day 1 purchase especially when he suggests combat is Unexciting crazy
Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Wed 24-Aug-11 00:34:24
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Yeah, it doesn't portend well does it? I mean, combat is pretty central in most (FPS) games these days. It's akin to having rubbish cars in a racing game... eek!

Haven't read this review yet and it's from The Register but will see what they say. They gave it 90% so that's not a bad score at all.
Standard User FireFalcon
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 24-Aug-11 00:43:42
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Fair dos then wink i didnt mean it in any other sense than a statement cause you buy a lot of games but end up growing tired of on them (prolly cause theyre rubbish since theres a lot of [censored] about these days) and going back to the old faithful.

Not tried toy soliders but tried the rest (except the kinect game), enjoying bastion a lot on PC, can't get a couple of those songs out of my head from it.

From dust is a bit disappointing all over really.

Still wavering over dead island myself too, cartel was bad but there were areas which it did ok in, i'm hoping dead island has had more attention and care since its techlands own game not for a publisher like ubisoft who let too much [censored] slip by.
Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Wed 24-Aug-11 00:46:36
Print Post

The hook was baited, the fish bit and we reeled him in. T2D comes out of the murky depths and - gasping for air like the old codger he is - tells us his eyesight ain't what it used to be and he can no longer hold a game controller.

We all know him on here better than he knows himself. laugh Haha. I guess all he needs to do is read our comments then make his decisions based on what we have to say!

Deus Ex...
Dead Island...
Rage...

Maybe somebody should develop a nice sedate lawn bowling game for him to use on his neglected Wii? Just to tide him over till the next COD game? wink
Standard User FireFalcon
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 24-Aug-11 00:51:14
Print Post

See the issue is in perspective.

Deus ex has never really been a full frontal combat game, its about careful navigate and taking the right approach. Its not as complex as it sounds its basically just making sure you properly navigate the areas. People go for 100% stealth runs, i dont like that myself, i'll probably play some hybrid between stealth/less than lethal/lethal.

As for getting going... I dunno i thought it got going after a couple of hours after playing the preview build. I guess some people might just want action to kick off.

Either way my order has been dispatched from game and i suspect it will just have to be released for delivery at some point. From playing the preview build it pretty much sold me, i wasnt a complete fan of the original deus ex but this one seems to make improvements in the areas i wasnt a fan of.
Standard User mrnelster
(experienced) Wed 24-Aug-11 07:34:12
Print Post

Thought about Deus Ex because of the summer game drought. But every time I thought I would preorder I remembered Splinter Cell. Stealth can be challenging but soon turn to utterly boring.

I think I'll wait to see if your lethal/non lethal approach works. If done correctly I do enjoy a bit if stealth but there has to be some regular action as well for me.

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.

Live BQM

FTTC - Aquiss Business 45
37.7Mbps Downstream
8.45Mbps Upstream
7ms Ping
Standard User mrnelster
(experienced) Wed 24-Aug-11 07:40:04
Print Post

MW3 and BF3 aside, Rage will be the next multi platform I buy for the PS3.

I think it's a dark horse. smile

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.

Live BQM

FTTC - Aquiss Business 45
37.7Mbps Downstream
8.45Mbps Upstream
7ms Ping
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to