Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Aug-11 00:17:20
Print Post

Boycott Game/Gamestation

[link to this post]

Take a read: http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1119494-Game-UK-Why...

Game, who also own Gamestation, have allegedly been threatening to remove games by publishers who refuse to withdraw their games from Steam during the release. Game seems to want almost total monopoly of new game sales.

Edited by 12eason (Thu 25-Aug-11 00:23:33)

Standard User SuperStephen
(newbie) Thu 25-Aug-11 00:36:48
Print Post

Re: Boycott Game/Gamestation

[re: 12eason] [link to this post]

I have two games that I bought from Game that connect through Steam and although I play them offline (I don't like to play against unknown people) I cannot play them at times when Steam have problems (eg cannot connect to Steam Network) or, as happened recently, when my broadband went down. Why should I have these problems when I have bought the games and cannot play them? It is like buying a car that you can only drive when the DVLC are open!! I completely support Game's stance and wish them luck with their campaign.

I say 'SUPPORT GAME AND BOYCOTT STEAM'!!!
Standard User FireFalcon
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 25-Aug-11 00:45:05
Print Post

First up:

1) i've read those news sites he "cites" - they dont point to any retailer

2)Personally ive come to the conclusion its TESCO, not game, why tesco? just look at how many steamworks titles they carry compared to other supermarkets.

3)i want proper proof of the retailers involved before i boycott anything.

Edit:
Reading the article deeper and all of its links, again theres no proof that it is GAME, red faction was available for preorder by other retailers, not just game.

Whilst it is true that "games not being available in your region" is down to some bs exclusivity deal the question is how to tell whos behind it? GAME are often not the cheapest place to buy however cheaper than steam.

What makes me think its tesco/supermarkets? certain ones you can go in store look along their pc sections and surprise you wont find many steam works titles at all, my local tescos stocked a ton of EA stuff (no steam), stuff like fable 3/batman/etc (gfwl), but no steamworks ones. Portal 2 on 360/ps3 sure, pc? no. Whether this is down to regional stocking i dont know but out of 20 or so stores ive seen no steamworks games. Their online store does however stock them however their online store is also run by the hut group (chain of franchises ran out of jersey)

As much as i hate stupid censorship (considering this is pretty much a form of it) its hard to say whats going on, second someone says definitively its retailer X with proof i'll consider some further action.

I go where the prices are cheapest anyway, steam often wants £30 per title, buy else where is often cheaper with retailer places usually going for £25, buying from a US buyer or in a 4pack often rips the price down too.

My example for this is quite simply dead island (kinda disproves game theory too):
http://store.steampowered.com/app/91310/
Available on steam in the Uk £30, also available from game/gameplay/etc for 25
On the US store with a 4pack its £23 per copy.

Edited by FireFalcon (Thu 25-Aug-11 03:35:00)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Gzero
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 25-Aug-11 01:00:36
Print Post

[re: SuperStephen] [link to this post]

I say boycott both as much as possible. wink
Neither are clean in my eyes, both have abused consumer rights by turning games into licences/subscriptions and clinging to abandonware to ring a few more £££'s from.
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Aug-11 01:45:13
Print Post

[re: SuperStephen] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by SuperStephen:
I have two games that I bought from Game that connect through Steam and although I play them offline (I don't like to play against unknown people) I cannot play them at times when Steam have problems (eg cannot connect to Steam Network) or, as happened recently, when my broadband went down.
Steam can run in offline mode, and other non steam games have much worse drm.

(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Aug-11 08:45:11
Print Post

[re: Gzero] [link to this post]

I have not used Game for 3 years and its not for the reasons listed but i understand the concerns.mad
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Aug-11 08:55:04
Print Post

If Game were to do what they suggested in this link then it would be there loss and other great online places like Shopto.net would have a even bigger slice of the pie.

If i use the high street then i favour Gamestation even though its owned by Game you would never guess when you go into that shop.

Find them a lot more friendly and laid back and the price structure and exchange and rewards are completely different to Game.
Standard User Arceon
(newbie) Thu 25-Aug-11 09:28:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by 12eason:
In reply to a post by SuperStephen:
I have two games that I bought from Game that connect through Steam and although I play them offline (I don't like to play against unknown people) I cannot play them at times when Steam have problems (eg cannot connect to Steam Network) or, as happened recently, when my broadband went down.
Steam can run in offline mode, and other non steam games have much worse drm.

Steam can run in offline mode provided you tell it you want to run in offline mode while you have an internet connection.

For example when my internet was ceased this month I couldn't play squat on steam because it couldn't connect to a server, you can't use the old "Offline Mode" in that circumstance.

As to the article, meh. Some guy on a forum making allegations isn't something I'd usually regard as fact.

Andrews & Arnold - FTTC Premium - Billion 7800N
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Aug-11 10:52:36
Print Post

[re: Arceon] [link to this post]

There is still a question mark about whether it is actually Game behind it, but it has been known for a while that this is happening in the UK, see here:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/308337/bullying...
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/retail-threatens-stea...
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php...

Also, there is a command line switch you can add to steam game shortcuts that force the game into offline mode.

(fountain of knowledge) Thu 25-Aug-11 18:03:31
Print Post

Its completely undoubtable that something is going on within the UK, question is which retail chain(s)?
Supermarkets are known for being aggressive, but at the same time GAME will be wanting to make their mark/stand, HMV has been running dry for a while, could it be them who are trying to force stuff their way? who knows
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to