Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Gzero
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-Sep-11 19:06:17
Print Post

Deus Ex HR? No thanks, I know what you are now.

[link to this post]

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2011/09/16/deus-...

Adverts in the loading screens? Erm at least Hard Reset uses that time to give you story!

I shan't be buying this game now and will not accept any game that tries adding Adverts in after all the reviews are done.

If it means I'm missing out on a great game, bah I don't mind as it won't make that big a difference in my life as not following my principles would. tongue
Standard User e102gamma
(committed) Sun 18-Sep-11 22:02:13
Print Post

Re: Deus Ex HR? No thanks, I know what you are now.

[re: Gzero] [link to this post]

I have to agree. Really underhanded tactic and it puts me right off. A great shame as it seems like a stellar game.
Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Mon 19-Sep-11 02:13:05
Print Post

It takes the biscuit, dunnit?

Advertising is so pervasive. I was trying to come up with an analogy. I only got as far as thinking, 'It's like going to the cinema and paying loads of money to watch a film... And then seeing loads of adverts." Oops. Like, there aren't tonnes already? As if there weren't loads of product placements in the actual films? The next analogy I thought of was clothing. And then the truth of branding and people paying to advertise companies on the clothing they deliberately buy to wear. Wha???

So you pays your money for a product then later on it becomes something supported by advertising and you get nothing from it. It's not cheaper as a result - you paid full price on release for a triple A rated game. Did you read the billboards that populate the game are likely to feature adverts (like Northern Strike in BF2142) in game? Some people say that makes the setting of Deus Ex more realistic anyway. We live in a consumerist, brand conscious world after all. But can't we leave fiction alone and keep real advertising out of it? Is that too hard to do? Pretty soulless thing to do really, adding adverts to a game (especially after people buy it).

Sony have apparently introduced new ts and cs to their online service that forbids users suing them for losing their data. Other than not use the service/not buy the game, then what choice do people have?

BTW - Following your principles gets harder and harder the older you get. Or, at least it does for me! I guess it's compromising on feeling like you're losing out owing to the time factor. Too many wasted years already and not enough time left to do what you want. You're not so young anymore after all. Etcetera. wink

Edited by SPOOKish (Mon 19-Sep-11 02:17:42)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Lt_Swan
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Sep-11 23:08:09
Print Post

[re: e102gamma] [link to this post]

It always amazes me that people buy a car then drive around with an advert for the garage stuck in the back window.
Some times it even blocks their rear view laugh

=TLP=Swanny
Standard User mrnelster
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Sep-11 08:01:36
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

No, not the biscuit.......

http://saveandquitgaming.com/xbox-360/drink-mt-dew-f...

We know we can't stop it coming, but you would at least hope that commercial sponsorship would be chosen more wisely. You can gain a strategic advantage whilst sitting on your [censored] playing video games for 12 hours by eating more crisps?

Why not a strawberry cheesecake tie up? We all know fruit is good for you. wink

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.

Live BQM

FTTC - Aquiss Business 45
37.7Mbps Downstream
8.45Mbps Upstream
7ms Ping
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(member) Mon 26-Sep-11 08:27:09
Print Post

Itís the up or down side of pirating they have to seek other avenues to regain lost revenue! What better way. Sure it will be modded out at some point but there is such a stampede to get games out there it will be the least worry, of many. I expect to see much more of it.

My views are my experiences.

Edited by NilSatisOptimum (Mon 26-Sep-11 08:28:07)

Standard User Gzero
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Sep-11 17:54:08
Print Post

[re: NilSatisOptimum] [link to this post]

And it will probably turn into mini video adverts too! Which is why I am up in arms about this! More exclamation marks are needed to complete this rant!!!
  Print Thread

Jump to