Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-Sep-11 16:18:24
Print Post

Interesting take from Nvidea PC v Consoles

[link to this post]

If it becomes true then i stand corrected because i thought PC gaming was in decline.

And please lets not turn this into another flame war as its a thread i just picked up on and i thought it was worth posting as we have had a few PC v Console heated debates on here quite a few times

So THIS ARTICLE sort of goes in favour of the PC Gaming community,so i am not biased towards either platform just the fact that i have switched from PC to consoles but its a interesting read.wink

Edited by time2die (Wed 21-Sep-11 16:19:57)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Sep-11 16:52:04
Print Post

Re: Interesting take from Nvidea PC v Consoles

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

The lower prices of PC gaming, assuming you have a reasonable rig in the first place.

Their BF2/3 pictures, urm and where is the same scene in XBox 360/PS3. Not all the advances come from just graphics card advances. Firms need to create better textures and the improving routines mean the XBox 360 has moved on as has the PS3.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User e102gamma
(committed) Thu 22-Sep-11 01:54:16
Print Post

EA already makes more money from the PC than any single console. As has been discussed before, this upturn is nothing new. When the new consoles come out it will likely go the other way again.

Nice they highlight League of Legends. Fun game. Shows there's a lot more revenue hidden in PC gaming than simple unit sales. I wonder how DOTA2 will impact it.

Edited by e102gamma (Thu 22-Sep-11 01:58:02)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Fri 23-Sep-11 19:54:41
Print Post

Some are saying Nvidia are not going to be the GPU provider for the next gen Xbox and PS consoles, hence their emphasis on the PC market and attempts to make themselves synonymous with PC gaming for promotional purposes.

Also, the PC gaming market consists of free 2 play, micro-transactions as well as ad supported models (Deus Ex snigger) - gaming revenue might be growing but it doesn't mean you need a super fast badass graphics card.

Plus, the current fastest GPU (GFX 590 or whatever) might be 10x faster than whatever's driving the Xbox 360 and PS3 at some things but it's definitely not 10x more capable all round or importantly offers 10x better graphics. Consoles don't have to run a bloated operating system in the background so put far more into raw gaming percentage wise.

So, those figures are to be taken with a hefty pinch of salt as some sites say. Having more levity in appraising the gaming market more comprehensively and fairly would be better than one dimensional arguments as put about by Nvidia's PR firm. I'm all for PC gaming growing in market share but appreciate PC gaming (including laptops) isn't all about triple A star titles with incredible graphics all the time. If anything things are moving away from this. I'd like to see a better analysis to be honest.
Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 24-Sep-11 07:53:08
Print Post

Ho hum , so looking at the graph console and PC revenue increases constantly until 2011 but PC does not really catch up with console just matches its revenue gains And then the future comes and it all changes and overtakes console revenue ? Really ?

Yeah i guess Nvidia are not making the GPU for the next gen consoles then ..

With TalkTalk , not as bad as some might have you believe

Edited by woweebert (Sat 24-Sep-11 07:55:50)

Print Thread

Jump to