Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Oct-11 10:26:56
Print Post

Rage First 20 Minutes Playstation 3

[link to this post]

I have to admit based on the way the first 20 minutes look of this game Rage i might pick it up next week,not sure about the movement and I'm not blown away by the guns but the game certainly looks NICE smile
Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Sat 01-Oct-11 22:22:31
Print Post

Re: Rage First 20 Minutes Playstation 3

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

I watched two 20 minute segments (part one & two) of that Rage playthrough and it just reminds me of Borderlands. In fact it totally turned me off.

You are basically running errands on errands. Go do this for a buggy. Get the spare parts. Go wipe out the bandits who stole the spare parts etcetera. Your character is silent but obedient. It feels unnatural to me, like you're a mute who has nothing better to do than run around doing things for people. You don't really know what you're doing in the story and it doesn't really make any sense. Sure, the storyline will be fleshed out eventually but where's it all leading? Down the same old dusty well trodden roads, that's where. And at the end of it all you'll be looking back wondering why you even bothered.

As I said before, I've already played Borderlands and I think I've had enough of endlessly grinding it out. All the gameplay mechanics are there for a proper grinder: loot corpses, find useless low value junk you can trade for ammo and upgrades, speak to monotonous NPCs, most of whom will just be there for scenery and only utter inanities, find out what jobs they have and go do it. Report back. Ad infinitum. Ad nausea. To be fair, most of my antipathy comes from not long ago having finished Borderlands. It's a grinder essentially. Did I tell you how much I hate grinding now?

Rage is a time waster basically. Nothing wrong with that per se but I don't think I need another one right now. So soon after playing Borderlands I think Rage would totally do my head in. It's a shame as initially I thought the game looked fun despite the now (very) hackneyed post apocalyptic setting. If the 40 minute playthrough I watched was a movie you'd want your money back. What's the point to it all I ask myself, if at the end of it you've only got more junk from all the hours put in scavenging and looting the endless expanses of skinheads? Maybe I'll wait a few years but for now, looks like I'll be passing this one by. Just the sight of more vending machines with ammo and health makes me shudder! crazy
Standard User Gzero
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Oct-11 23:11:48
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

But wait, you love grinding!!?!?!

Cap point, take out tank, shoot down jet, revive squad leader, drop med kit (x10000), drop ammo (x200, don't soo many of these, just a few for some nade spam), destroy tank with tv guided missile, and did I mention cap point?

Good work soldier! Just a few more months of this and you might hit the next level and get an unlock!

Can you guess the game? tongue

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Sun 02-Oct-11 02:35:04
Print Post

[re: Gzero] [link to this post]

I know, I know. What a hypocrite. Gaming is grinding. Yargh!

Perhaps I need a new hobby.

I hear it's been sunny outside lately.

crazy
Standard User Jaxx281
(member) Mon 03-Oct-11 09:16:13
Print Post

I would say FPS' are different grinding to RPG's though. I agree with SPOOK, I have played a lot of sandbox games these last few months and after played Fallout New Vegas, Borderlands and Dead Island I am really not fancying another RPG. I do enjoy them, but think I need a break for a bit lol! Grinding on FPS' is at least a bit different because of all the different types of kills, teams you can play with, play types etc. and the general random things that happen in a match that make it exciting. In RPG's you just get to grind for hours for a new weapon / armor then not a lot else, but the story is usually epic and with a good levelling system you're always going to have fun. Shame the apocalyptic thing has been done to death in recent years by Borderlands / Fallout so this has come at a bit of a poor time. Although saying all this the advert does look interesting, but not the gameplay video!!

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Oct-11 09:33:28
Print Post

[re: Jaxx281] [link to this post]

Yeah Im also not sold on the gameplay and think it looks quite bland,will check out some reviews this week to see what they have to say.

So much out its a tough time to be releasing games unless they turn out o be really good or different
Standard User Jaxx281
(member) Mon 03-Oct-11 09:42:04
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Yea I agree mate, to be honest though I thought Rage sounded really innovative when I heard about it "FPS/RPG/Buggies" sounded awesome! But since seeing gameplay footage of it I have changed my mind quite drastically frown may see if my housemate gets it and use him as a benchmark.

Standard User Gzero
(knowledge is power) Mon 03-Oct-11 14:00:17
Print Post

Raining here. laugh
Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Mon 03-Oct-11 16:20:52
Print Post

[re: Gzero] [link to this post]

Ah, but you live in Scotland don't you. So what do you expect? wink