Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Oct-11 01:12:12
Print Post

Battlefield 3.....Your Honest opinion.

[link to this post]

Anyone totally blown away by it,Anyone cancelled a pre/order based on what they have seen and played ?

I am disappointed after seeing such a beautiful looking game 6 months ago and thought i was actually playing a playstation 2 game for the 10 minutes i spent trying to play it.

People will say you can not give a game only 10 minutes and come to a conclusion especially as this is a beta,personally i think EA/Dice have done themselves no favours as this does not showcase what a Battlefield game is all about,which is massive maps with vehicles and a lot going on.

I feel that this game when released is going to get some flack and not do half as well as EA/DICE expected.

If it sells well and I'm wrong then all is well and Battlefield fans will rejoice,but there is a lot of people who are hardened Battlefield supporters not happy with what they see around many a Gaming forum.

Edited by time2die (Sat 08-Oct-11 01:13:26)

Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Sat 08-Oct-11 03:50:13
Print Post

Re: Battlefield 3.....Your Honest opinion.

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Totally awesome game! There's a HUGE amount of potential and we have thus far only been playing a test version. EA/DICE wanted to see how their server backend would cope and to fiddle with the netcode. For once I believe them when they say the game on release will be much better.

It will not disappoint on the PC when it's released. At least not spectacularly. There will be niggles and plenty of them though. Some of them could be huge but unless something seriously goes wrong they will not condemn the game to bargain bin oblivion. As ever though, it will take a long time to optimise the game - it always does with a game like this. The biggest failing of DICE/EA in my experience has been supporting the game properly. There were so many things they could have done to fix previous games in the franchise but they are always moving forward and seem only to care about the bottom line. However, they do deliver a good if not flawed game so I feel very strongly the game - judging by what I've seen on the PC so far - will be epic!

Believe me, I know my Battlefield series and after playing the Caspian Border map (on PC) we are going to be in for a treat. I actually really enjoy playing the Metro map too. I think it's damn good actually. I fail to understand why people like you seem to hate it so completely on the console but I have not even played it at all so wouldn't judge beyond what we already know. I can't speak for the console version but basing your opinion on the game as a whole with just 10 minutes play time is just silly. Okay, so maybe the style of game isn't for you but then you never gave it a chance.

You follow your natural reaction to switch off a game after no time at all and I've said it before and will say it again, you REALLY OUGHT to give games like Battlefield 3 a fighting chance. So, you may not have the patience to play a buggy beta but I think you'd actually really enjoy the game if - for once - you just knuckled down and really gave it the length of time needed to finally see what it's all about. It takes a little while but once it crystalises in your mind, you won't likely want to play anything else in the online military shooter genre for a while. Trust me. You'd thank me too. But I feel I'd have to come round to your place and tie you to your chair or something. wink

I'd urge you to buy the game unreservedly if you had the stomach to use your PC for gaming. Otherwise wait and see if the console version improves. The only way EA/DICE could fail is in not delivering a much improved version for the console crowd. As far as the PC is concerned it's gonna be a win and a BIG ONE at that. I'm gonna have to qualify my confidence in the game by stating that I'd like to see how many maps are coming our way. I'm sure there will be loads of expansion packs for this. It's probably a shame DICE won't support external modding but then that's not unusual these days.
Standard User mrnelster
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Oct-11 08:14:01
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

I think I would enjoy the game, but the visuals are poor. And I know we've all said before it's not JUST about the visuals. But it needs to be really up there if its only running at 25-30 fps!

I played it for a couple of hours and enjoyed myself. The trouble is I got home the next night and wasn't in any rush to play it again. And the same thing has happened ever since. I keep thinking I want to load it up again, but then end up doing something else. If it looked great it might give me a bit more oomph to play again.

I also think as an early beta (or whatever DICE would want to classify it as) it has schoolboyed itself from a marketing perspective. If you release next to COD and claim you will blow it out of the water, you really need to showcase what your product can do. A closed beta for fans of the series and people seasoned in the quality reduction of code that is "apparently" just to test server load, would have been better. It's marketing 101 really. Don't wind up a huge anticipation of your product and then offer a sub par version for the world to see before release.

I am hopeful that the release version will be better. I am not hopeful that it will be supported properly (not that IW are any better on that score). But from yours and others enthusiasm for the Caspian Border map etcetera, I believe I could really like this game on the next generation. The trouble for me is that if you go for reality then it has to be immersive. And for that I personally need top notch visuals, especially if the games pace is slower and lasts longer.

I hope I will really enjoy the co-op and campaign part of the game. I think the visuals will be better as is the norm in most games. I am one of those gaming pensioners that doesnt jump straight into MP without playing through the campaign first!

But I have cancelled my pre order on the graphical premise, and to be honest (as someone who has never played betas on a regular basis) probably wouldn't have done so if I had been left with just that anticipation. wink

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.

Live BQM

FTTC - Aquiss Business 45
37.7Mbps Downstream
8.45Mbps Upstream
7ms Ping

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Oct-11 10:25:25
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

Nice Honest thoughts guys and you can certainly comment more about the game than me having played so little.

I will see how the game turns out when released and decide then but i know where my time will be spent and its another reason why I'm not sold on Battlefield smile

Yeah tie me to a chair and possibly cut my ear of like Resovouir dogs then i might sit there for more than 10 minutes.

Your possibly right in saying i don't give certain games much time but i have played previous games quite a lot and they don't give me the excitement i require when playing a FPS game.

I dare say Spook that i will not let the game sit on a shelf and more than likely pick it up,problem is its released so close to a game that i love.tongue

Edited by time2die (Sat 08-Oct-11 10:32:52)

Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 08-Oct-11 11:40:11
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Just had a shot on the PC version and my CPU alarm goes through the roof! Max temps even with side panel off. Could have alot to do with the OC probably so will clock down and try it. Might just be me but I`m interested in how the console version plays so will download the demo for that, mouse and keyboard is just odd to me now laugh

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User nelix01
(committed) Sat 08-Oct-11 11:48:52
Print Post

[re: MrGrumpy] [link to this post]

I really enjoyed the first couple of nights I played it on the PC but after that my experience went downhill. I run a decent machine: Win 7, quad core2, 6GB RAM but my gfx card cannot cope with the game and it became very jittery and not enjoyable. I don't think that at this stage it is worth me spending a couple of hundred quid on a new gfx card just to play this game with xmas round the corner, the money can be better spent elsewhere.

Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 08-Oct-11 12:08:34
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

Looks like its my overclock is a wee bit too high, I`m not even sure what res its running at ??
Does anyone else get red flashing on screen, it would seem that the games needs a bit of work, defo trying it on console, all I read on the PC chat boxes is so and so is a cheating Mofo etc etc. Nothing has changed since way back in my early COD days on the PC crazy

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose

Edited by MrGrumpy (Sat 08-Oct-11 12:19:46)

Standard User nelix01
(committed) Sat 08-Oct-11 13:20:57
Print Post

I'm a big BF PC fan and have been playing since BF:1942. I think this will be a great game and continue with the BF style of gameplay. If I could afford a couple hundred for a new GFX card, I probably would.

Minimum card upgrade would be a NVIDIA GTX 560 Gigabyte.

Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Sat 08-Oct-11 13:21:03
Print Post

Accusations of cheating? Yup. Nothing changes eh?

Red flashing definitely isn't normal. That sounds more like your graphics card getting too hot? Are you overclocking that too?

I've been running my PC with the side panel off too. The hot weather has resulted in some record temperatures for my machine. Today though, they are back in the normal range - some 8 deg C below what they were at the peak of our Indian Summer.

It's a shame the console version has let down expectations for so many. Understandably, visuals are a key component to the enjoyment of a class leading game and I wouldn't blame anyone for not getting the game on those grounds, especially with MW3 just round the corner. Still, the game hasn't launched yet so hopefully (for the console players), the game will be much improved. Though on a pessimistic level, it hardly seems likely the game will really get anywhere near PC standards, which is truly a shame. I can tell you it looks flippin' amazing and I'm really looking forward to my pre-order arriving whereas before I wasn't too bothered.
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 08-Oct-11 13:40:58
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

But any big problems should be found during testing and fixed - if not then the game testers aren't doing their job propery...

-----------------------------------------------
Good for what ails you.. Follow me on Twitter. Be* Say it with wibbles!
My YouTube Channel Programming : My GLBasic Books Blog
HP Catalog Apps : 6 (+1 being reviewed) Android Marketplace Apps : 4
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to