Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mrnelster
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 11-Oct-11 06:22:15
Print Post

More BF3 gameplay

[link to this post]

This looks better.....

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/1198929

The second video looks like a great map. Not sure why they used Operation Metro in the Beta, but this looks much more playable. The sounds broken on my iPhone so I can't comment on the audio.

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.

Live BQM

FTTC - Aquiss Business 45
37.7Mbps Downstream
8.45Mbps Upstream
7ms Ping
Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Tue 11-Oct-11 08:49:29
Print Post

Re: More BF3 gameplay

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

The second video - Grand Bazaar - looks like it might be from the Faultlines trailer. I enjoyed the voiceover, the guy playing seemed to be a bit of a loser (despite doing well overall). A lot of his deaths were very like my own - I will blunder into things and get spawn killed a lot! I don't have much of a fighting edge a lot of the time - I'm dorking out, thinking about something else and there's too much of a delay between me shooting someone. I'm not decisive enough and this guy reminded me a lot of my typical playing style.

Loved the two maps though. That's what I like about this game - wide, varied gameplay and vehicles! The vehicles really appeal to my inner child - the one who used to like playing with toys! You get to drive, fly jets and helos. I love driving around and these maps can be huge and really look good. I really hope, as with BF2, you can set up your own server (co-op with AI or other players or not) and just learn to master those jets and stuff without going online and making a tit of yourself. They take so much practise to learn to fly well and on the beta, due to the limitations in configuring controls, I was totally unable to even take off properly so didn't have a chance to do any flying at all.

boring monologue: BF3 is a great game to get into! I hope you enjoy it if you get it. And maybe you can succeed where I've failed and convince old T2D to put the time and effort into mastering it so he can get to love a truly beautiful game! It's not always about being the best player on Battlefield - there seems to be quite a few improvements made into acknowledging and encouraging spirited team play even if the beta played out in the main as one player vs everyone else in a race to top spot. I like the fact you are now rewarded (albeit quite poorly) for spotting the enemy, as, if you were just in it yourself for top position, you would choose not to spot enemies as you'd be helping your "competitors"/team mates (sad as that is).

You get some real asshol3s playing Battlefield games who know so well how to take advantage of weaknesses in gameplay mechanics (like sitting back from capturing flag points and repeatedly spawn killing an enemy who have no choice but spawn there say). So many clever gitchy players. Okay, so there's still a long way to go in encouraging truly unselfish game play but BF3, I'm glad to say, seems to be consciously moving in the right direction. By the time BF10 comes out, if they continue to support team reward based strategy maybe we'll see a truly award winning game.

/monolgue
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Oct-11 09:20:37
Print Post

[re: SPOOKish] [link to this post]

Not a chance unless mrnelster can turn water into wine wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Tue 11-Oct-11 09:48:43
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Haha laugh

Well, you don't know what you're missing. You silly person! wink

tongue
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Oct-11 09:51:06
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

When you watch THIS the game looks absolutely amazing.

Im going to buy the game regardless just in case I've missed the point somewhere along the line because when i look at this video it looks like everything i want in a FPS but when i played the beta for a short spell it looked and played nothing like this.

Again i suspect the video preview shown by Ign will be from a high end PC and i think this is why there is so much confusion regarding the games amazing graphics even though us console gamers do not expect the same graphical delights.
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Oct-11 10:05:11
Print Post

Another nice VIDEO

like i said Spooky i will endeavour to give the game a chance just for you but im not promising that this will take over from you know what.

Every single video i watch looks awesome and there is no denying that and it beggars belief why EA/DICE released the beta in the shoddy form that it is and a wrong choice regarding the map.tongue
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Oct-11 10:07:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by SPOOKish:
Haha laugh

Well, you don't know what you're missing. You silly person! wink

tongue

I could say that to you reference Gears of War 3 Horde Mode and a fair few other console games that you have not played my dear Spookwink
Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Tue 11-Oct-11 10:52:57
Print Post

Well, that's certainly true but I would need to buy an (now) aging console in order to play all those lovely titles like Red Dead Redemption and GoW2/3 that I've missed.

On the other hand, until BF3 comes out we won't know if the console version will redeem itself or not from the widespread criticism it received in beta.

I don't feel very confident about the console version to be honest. Hopefully the increased texture disk will go someway into providing non PC players some of the Battlefield experience.
Standard User SPOOKish
(experienced) Tue 11-Oct-11 11:10:45
Print Post

Rush on Caspian Borders looked good actually. Conquest mode (where your team captures and tries to hold flags) is a different style of play that is certainly slower and less definitive than rush.

I can see what kind of player you are and you obviously like your action fast. Battlefield isn't like that really. Check out mrnelster's video links (one and two) and you'll see the first video you linked to is just a montage of moments from the developers play through, they've been lifted straight out of those lengthier (and slower!) play throughs.

The Metro map was infantry only and would have produced a far lower server load than the massive (up to) 64 player maps like Caspian Borders. I can see DICE's thinking and it is a shame they didn't make Caspian Borders available from the offset but had they, then hardly anyone would have played the infantry only map to the likely detriment of what DICE were trying to figure out by releasing it for play testing.

I actually enjoyed the Metro map but not so initially. It's a good map for what it is. Actually, it's a really good map with plenty of varied sections requiring some different tactics. It likely wouldn't play well in anything but rush mode though.

The park section was in one of the trailers a while back and featured an APC. I remember commenting on how poor it looked graphically and somebody mentioned the video made it look worse owing to too much compression. So we might see a different form of the Metro map with vehicles upon release. Or I might be mistaken as it might've been another park someplace like the one in NYC?

Anyhow, tick tock tick tock. No beta to play now that I have a bit of time on my hands and a few weeks to wait to get my fill of Battlefield 3 again.

Come on T2D! Get into the Battlefield spirit and um, take some tranquilisers or something to slow yourself down and learn to love having to run for miles as infantry in order to get to the heat of the battle and being repeatedly spawn killed over and over again and pwnd by jets and attack choppers. So much suffering in being a Battlefield fan - I hope you know what you're doing! My words will come back to haunt you for sure if you're not prepared to put in a lot of graft and patience!

Regarding the video you linked to in this post: at 3 mins 20. That helo player's flying skills are really good and it's just the beta he's playing. Not one single player whilst I was on Caspian Borders could fly the helos for more than 2 minutes without hitting the dirt rotors first so it's amazing to see someone with such control so soon. There will be something of a scramble for new players to master the art of flying the jets and helos as, as with the punctuated equilibrium model of evolution, there is so much at stake for people to make a name for themselves in on the battlefield as they each race to become 1337 players and get their names up the leaderboards. The [censored]! tongue
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Oct-11 13:00:46
Print Post

Spook my hardened battlefield supporter I'm sold on the idea that this game takes time and I'm going to give it my attention and try to persevere as much as i can.

Can not do anything more than that but i am what i am and i like what i like but based on what you say and what i see reference videos i am not going to let this game pass me by until i give it a good old play test.

We have about 10 days from the release of Battlefield to the release of MW3 and i will focus all my attention on Battlefield for this time,if after that amount of time i prefer MW then i think i have given the game enough of my time to make a informed opinion.wink
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to